Overnight on the Med

Raider

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Red Dwarf - excellent series, not a bad episode in it - personally I liked the cat best, just like my cat although now not as dead as my cat  :'(
Was the Ace any good?

Back to the topic - has anyone found a camp site or indeed decided where to stop so I can look for hotels? Is it still Menton which seems the sensible choice given it's the "right" side of Monaco  8)

Ventimiglia sounds OK to me. I take it that the site is 'Camping Roma'? There are some caravans and bungalows to be hired here as well. Is it Jason that is 10CR accommodation officer?? In which case can we settle on Camping Roma as our re-grouping point and possibly get some discount on the bungalows/caravans...Jason??

Yes it is camping Roma we are talking about.

Accomodation officer? If only it was that organised.

Actually jason was the "making sure there are petrol stations open" officer and Ellis the "accomodations" officer.

But I don't care myself who does it - Jason?

The camp site looks excellent Raider - camping and bungalows for anyone who wants a solid roof :-) Facilities look good too.
I vote we make it the overnight stay. It would be prudent to warn them that we intend to descend on them. A discount seems academic at those prices but it's worth asking. Once the edict is issued I'll email them - unless anyone else has?

I haven't heard anyone think the camp site at Ventimiglia isn't a good idea.

Hats off to Burnerboy for this one.;)

The formal decision will be taken this weekend but I think it's Ventimiglia for the overnight stay, for the swim in the Med and Camping Roma as the recommended accomodation. 

By then we will have done 5 countries - England, France, Switzerland, Monaco and Italy. Exactly half the countries at the half way point - it's not just thrown together you know!

Regarding discounts - as you say the prices are pretty good anyway but it's worth asking. Of course, we don't know how many will stay but if they would be happy to give a discount if we quote "10CR2005" it can't be a bad thing. 8)

Here's the edict :o

The halfway point and first overnight halt will be at Ventimiglia.

For those of you who don't know where this is ::) - it's on the Italian side of the border with France right on the Mediterranean and is famous for the being the place that the "Jackal" in "Day of the Jackal" entered France :)

Other than that - I know nothing, I have never been there, driven by it or even been in that part of Italy. This is the spirit of the 10CR at it's best, pick a place off a map with the most research being done via the internet.

In the same vein, I intend to book into Camping Roma http://www.campingroma.it/ and suggest that others do the same.

As per the spirit of the event, everyone has to make their own mind up about these things and make their own arrangements. Clearly, as I have never been to Ventimiglia I can't comment on the campsite either but it does seem to have great facilities and is in a fine location for us.

Jason - I'll e-mail 'em and see if there's any discount for "10CR2005" entrants.

So - there you go, overnight in Ventimiglia for a few drinks, a meal, traditional swim in the Med (New speedos already sorted ;)) - sort out your own accomodation in the town or surrounding area.  8)

Quote:
Are we going to get an official edict from Herr Raider

Herr Raider :o

I think Wing Commander would be better if you don't mind.

In fact that would mean I could get one of those RAF type moustaches to go with the leather jacket, I already have a white silk scarf and the dambusters theme on CD.

I can see the potential for another fancy dress character ;D

Mind you, might have to be careful in one or two of the countries we travel through

Quote:
Is the bomber going to be limping home again Raider?

Ah but that's the thing about all of this - you just don't know.

I would like to think that as I have fixed that particular problem and had the starter motor reconditioned I should be fine.

I replaced the entire transmission for a 5 speed set up although i have to admit S&S had to do it again for me due to my incompetence::)

Further to that the car completed the RBRR in fine fettle (as indeed you saw for yourself at Stirling).

Then I'm replacing all the springs and shock absorbers as well as upgrading the brakes.

With all of that I should be flying home from a succesful raid on Europe but who knows ??)

You are right though - I can't see a TR7 as a bomber, Mr Bancrofts 2.5PI would fullfill that role much better

Quoted from Raider Yes it is camping Roma we are talking about.

Accomodation officer? If only it was that organised.

Actually jason was the "making sure there are petrol stations open" officer and Ellis the "accomodations" officer.

But I don't care myself who does it - Jason?

Camping Roma was the one I found a few months ago, but I'm pretty certain when I checked, the minimum stay was 3 nights...  I'll trudge though my old stuff to check again. :-/

Archived