I got the TomTom XL Live Europe.  Was cheapest in Halfords.  Comes with Europe maps - not brilliant definition outside the UK, but plenty good enough. The Live Services work much better than I expected, and even work in Europe, showing traffic hold ups and whereabouts of cheapest petrol etc.  Dead easy to use, but I've never used the Itinerary Planning, so don't know how good that is.

I brought a cheap refurb one (I think I posted the link in the 10CR section).

Make sure it will handle internaries, some of the cheap Garmin and TomToms dont. guess how I found out....

The only problme I have had is that there is not enough internal memory to take all the eupropean maps so I had to add a  memory card (max 4 G) and then had a big problem convincing the software to put the updated maps onto the memory card.....

Mike

339 wrote:
i brought a referb tomtom710 from totalpda  £83 delivered.  It only comes with 2009 maps of europe but it's better than nothing!

Just watch the mount on the old 710s, the units have a tendancy to loosen with vibration... and we are talking Triumphs here... I speak from experience !!  ;)

• 1 year later...

Hi all

I know it's a bit early, but yes I will be supplying Sat Nav files as before...  The usual conversion programs are still out there (ITN Converter / Tyre etc) for systems other than TomTom.

A word of warning if you are looking to purchase a new system... TomTom have stopped providing Itinerary Planning on their latest units (and you can't hack them). I don't know why, nor do the thousands that have been complaining about it for the last year or so, but they don't look to be budging. Anyway, my advice is if you are buying a new one, look around for an older refurb or on eBay for second hand... something like a Go 740 or 750 that comes with European maps or a Go 540 or 550 that you'll need to upgrade with European maps, but has a micro sd card slot to do this.

Cheers all

Ellis

Reading this about the TomTom files made me look at the count down timer... Only 90 days left what happened to the rest of the year!
GT6 in bits, gearbox in garage, Acclaim sold but there is always the Herald so no need to panic tooo much yet. :)

Mike

• 1 month later...

I loaned mine to a mate (his broke) to finish the last RBRR.  Did he thank me NO!  Complained mine allways said "Roundabout"  

I like the voice on Reggie Barton's,  It yelled and cussed at him when they made a wrong turn!  

beans wrote:
Satnav clearly wants to tell me something too.
It refuses point blank to navigate into Monaco  ??)

went there two years ago on my motorcycle, mad mad busy! no really really busy.

Took  an age to get in and longer to get out. But it was fab.

However the drive there and back made it worth it!
Rob

bobyspit wrote:

went there two years ago on my motorcycle, mad mad busy! no really really busy.

Took  an age to get in and longer to get out. But it was fab.

However the drive there and back made it worth it!
Rob

You want to get there early morning, anytime before 9 or 10am.  I managed 3 or 4 decent laps in the Scooby before the traffic got a bit heavier. Any later and it's like you say, very busy and very slow. If it is busy just back everyone up behind you by crawling down to Mirabeau and then you can blast round Loews and Portier and through the tunnel. There does not seem to be any cameras about - or I didn't see any anyway...

sparky_spit wrote:

You want to get there early morning, anytime before 9 or 10am.  I managed 3 or 4 decent laps in the Scooby before the traffic got a bit heavier. Any later and it's like you say, very busy and very slow. If it is busy just back everyone up behind you by crawling down to Mirabeau and then you can blast round Loews and Portier and through the tunnel. There does not seem to be any cameras about - or I didn't see any anyway...

its a plan, lets get there early :)