Cheap and effective trunnion oil tool

Nilfisken

Hi,
following the forum the last month I became inspired/scared by all the trunnion-snap discussions so I ended up doing a complete front suspension rebuild. When looking around for good ways to oil the trunnions I found this little gem cheap at Halfords. Think i paid 5 pounds!

With freshly restored trunnions it had no problems of building up enough pressure to get the oil flowing out at the right places, not sure how it would stand up to trunnions with a bit more dirt or grease in them? The tip is some sort of semi-hard plastic and if pushed hard against the vertical link grease opening it seals pretty good.

Cheers,
Oskar

i use a grease gun to do everything on the car. not sure if its just my gun, but the end is a perfect snug fit in the fill plug holes of the diff and gearbox, and you get a lot more oil in per 'pump' than with the little cans, which i also have tried, until my arm nearly disintergrated as it took so long. however, it is hard to tell how much is going in when doing the trunnions via the nipples, so next tiem i might remove them as you have done.

jcarruthers wrote:
A >pump action< grease gun� not the normal type.

A grease gun holding oil.  ;D Yes, it may work, but it's a bit unnecessary and I always found it unnecessarily messy.
As the thread suggests, use an oil can with oil and there's no longer any requirement to try to force it through a grease nipple either.
Why pay big money for a Wanner grease gun, as many suggest, when a £1.50 oil can from Around-a-Pound does the job just as easily?

Not wishing to pee on anyones cornflakes here ;)

but

I would use a grease gun for the job.

Sure you will get oil in with an oil can and have it come up past the seal making it look like the job has been done. (possibly ok with new and/or clean trunnions)

However to my mind using a grease gun you will be filling your trunnions with gear oil at a much higher pressure,
which will carry more crud up and out of the oil seal.

worn bits off brass/bronze or whatever material is in there will be pushed up out of the seal and won't stay behind to make grinding paste and wear them out even quicker

Yes it will make a mess (put some paper or rags down before you do it) but you don't want to end up like this  :o :o :o

Oil them. There's a grease nipple or blanking plug on the back of the vertical link for this.
it's a regular maintenance job; the threads on the vertical link wear over time and so the threaded section snaps off the vertical link, usually at low speed but this of course doesn't make it any better. Don't use grease! It doesn't flow around the threads as easily as oil.
Many owners (as seen above) advocate forcing oil through a grease nipple into the link; this requires a very good seal on the grease gun and is a slow process. Other members advocate the use of an oil can fitted with a 1/8 bleed nipple to give a tight seal and oil is then pumped in until it flows from under the rubber cap around the trunnion.
I'm not sure about the post mentioning carrying crud etc out of the trunnion with oil pressure; i don't think any amount of oil pumping will clean out any metal shards etc and the only real way to do a proper job is to unbolt the trunnion and screw it off the vertical link before cleaning threads and trunnion and refilling with clean oil.

490 wrote:
The only real way to do a proper job is to unbolt the trunnion and screw it off the vertical link before cleaning threads and trunnion and refilling with clean oil.

Totally agree that is the only proper way to do the job.

But if you do use a grease gun with oil and pump a lot of oil through it is amazing how much crud comes out with the oil that is displaced.

Sorry for any confusion, I was not suggesting it as a way of cleaning your upright/trunnions.

3472 wrote:
I am new to spittys could someone explain to me exactly what I need to do, I am worried about my trunions now with all this talk of them breaking. a little idiots guide with a pic would be great :)

thank you,

Very good idea, I shall do so!! I will pull the info from threads/blogs on this site and collate into one document, which for ease can go onto my site, and anyone else's blog/site if they wish.

If anyone has pictures of this job being done I should be very happy if you could forward them to me :)