Dark art of Overdrives.

Matt306

The marks are not very clear, a short etched line on the carrier and a etched or a small dot on the end of the tooth,  a good dry clean and mag glass may help
if the planet assy has been replaced then I dont know if spare parts are marked for best running
there marks are there to make each pinion take the same load or one can seemingly do all the work and the other  2 take a bit of a rest.

pete

I am trying to remove item 24 here http://www.canleyclassics.com/triumph-spitfire-mkiii-d-type-overdrive-internals as it appears that needs to come off then i can screw in a bolt and use a nut to pull it out.

However the bit i am trying to get out requires a churchill tool. Manual says;

Unscrew the non return valve body using tool L.213....

Then it goes on to explain screwing in the thread to remove the pump body. The non return valve body looks like it is a circle with flatted off sides. Only snag is I cant find anything to fit over this and get the torque on to it to remove it.

Any thoughts?

After much trying to fabricate a tool i gave up. AS the whole unit is a press in fit I did this... Undid screw on front face... bashed plunger down, eventually the 40/50 year old stickyness gave up and it slid down and out. The plunger was broken anyway so not worries at all it needs to be replaced.

Next is trying to remove the speedo drive from the rear, thats stuck to Think this is the joy of disassembling a 40/50 year old overdrive.

Quoted from Pete Lewis
Remember making a  steel spacer tube , which flattened to make a crude  removal  socket
the speedo should pull out when the  locating spigot screw is removed
ifs anot a press fit but does have a o ring which may stick

pete

Think that rubber may have got hard and stuck to the housing. I have had flats on the speedo drive and not movement, being brass cant put that much on to it until it rounds off.

Could be who knows. I have the annulus out easy enough to clean all the bits out. Took the bearings to Wych Bearings in Bromsgrove and they advise they are perfectly serviceable so back in they go. Trust these guys as they could have had a sale, I did buy an oil seal from them as i felt i should.

Bearings are so much cheaper at bearing factors I saved £10 on the price from a Triumph  web site. As long as its a standard imperial bearing they usually have them, the snap rings on the main shaft of the gear box they dont do.