MKIV Spitfire restoration - Best paint colour?

YoungStanley

I like a good yellow myself.....and I am keen on the high visibility of that colour, really stands out and gets you noticed. Not for vanity, but because most colours just blend the car into the background, and I like it that people are more likely to see me!

I've bought a load of Valencia Blue for my MkIV, but since then I've decided I really like Mallard.

I'll console myself by painting this one Valencia and then the next one Mallard

Oh, I'm also one of these weirdos that likes Saffron Yellow...although it could do with a tad more red to bring it to a sort of burnt-orangey-yellow colour...

I'd say if you plan on selling (or see yourself selling in a few years), go with the paint code. If you plan on keeping it and enjoying it, paint it what you like.
I have no intentions of selling my GT6, so it's BMW space grey for me.

Probably blasphemy, am braced for flaming, but have you considered original code paint beneath, then a vinyl spray wrap in your choice of colour de jour over the top?  Never seen a classic car done like this I admit, but have seen some modern ones which look rather good, if masked and sprayed well. Not cheap, but cheaper than a full respray in 2 pack,  and of course you can peel it off and redo when you get bored with the colour.
Anyone tried this?

Quoted from YoungStanley
Thanks for your responses,

Tony, love the pic of the yellow triumph with what looks like dogs in the seats ..

It's a 1971 MkIV and was originally wedgewood blue (Paint code 26).. I am also keen on the originality but Wedgewood isn't my favourite colour...

No, not dogs, dead sheep (eek)
Tony.

Quoted from efp
Probably blasphemy, am braced for flaming, but have you considered original code paint beneath, then a vinyl spray wrap in your choice of colour de jour over the top?  Never seen a classic car done like this I admit, but have seen some modern ones which look rather good, if masked and sprayed well. Not cheap, but cheaper than a full respray in 2 pack,  and of course you can peel it off and redo when you get bored with the colour.
Anyone tried this?

Maybe on a Mini or a 2CV, the more fun classics, this could be fun but for my spit I think I might be shot..

My dad just finished a refurb on a mk3 Spitfire for my brother's 50th, he bought green paint as that was the colour spitfire my brother owned when he was younger. He actually had the car painted in a Rolls Royce white, it looks absolutely stunning.

Dads stuck with x amount of green paint now though! Whoops!

• 2 months later...