GT6 restoration. Why did I take this on!

John Bonnett

2875 wrote:
Brilliant thread - and I just subscribed to your YouTube channel! Looking forward to more vids coming through! :)

That's very kind of you Brendan, I hope to see you at Prescott on Sunday. Registration of my car is PAW. You can just turn up and pay at the gate

cheers

John

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say how much I'm enjoying the car. It is every bit as good as I hoped it would be; lovely to look at and the wonderful sound of the engine on song is out of this world.

We are off to Southwest France again in September and are planning to visit three Triumph friendly garages on the way down. I'll pass this information on as it could be of interest and use to anyone with a Triumph taking a similar route to us. Going South from Brittany, here are the links;

ASA56 (Gildas Dréan)
4 ZA Zone de Mane-Lenn
56950 Crac'h

http://www.ville-crach.fr/fr-asa-56,136,109.html

Garage Aumonier (Lionel Aumonier)
630 route de Niort
79230 Aiffres

http://www.garage-aumonier.com/

Garage J J Ert (Jean-Jacques Ert)
5 av Joseph Henri Lainé
33650 Saucats
tel 05 56 72 21 96

Just a little update.The car now has a reconditioned gearbox which is really nice; quiet, positive and a big improvement. Really well worth doing. I shall shortly be fitting new vertical links just for peace of mind. The ones on the car, originals as far as I know may be perfectly sound but I don't know that for certain so new ones will take away that concern.

I've decided to remove the servo which I don't think is doing any favours. The pedal is spongy and working only on the front wheels, I believe this is what is causing the dive under very hard braking. It will be interesting to see what difference it does make.

The Golf radiator works very well and the new Pacet electric fan is impressive shifting around 1000cfm of air. I've just ditched the dreaded "Universal Mounts" which I was never happy with and made a frame to mount the fans on. Picture attached. The frame does mask some of the radiator  but I hoping it will not be critical. If it does prove to be a problem I can always drill it full of holes but being stainless steel I hope I don't need to.

I took a load of bits across to the painters yesterday for powder coating. These include the radiator ducting, the new vertical links, alternator bracket and the bulkhead/sill end protectors. I'm very keen on powder coating partly because of the quality and the durability of the  finish and mainly because I don't have to do any painting which really suits me.  

I'll post some pictures when they are fitted.

My son Chris and I have entered the CT Goodwood track day in November which is something I'm really looking forward to. I competed in the Goodwood Championship two seasons running back in the 90s so it will be nice to drive it again.

So, the car is being used and enjoyed which is what it's all about isn't it.

John

royboy66 wrote:
Nice Rad combo !  ;D

Have a Great trip John !  8)

Thank you Roy. The rad installation I owe to you and I'm very grateful for for the pictures and the information you provided which made the job so much easier. The Golf rad and the Astra header tank fit in so well they look like they have been designed for the job.

We are really looking forward to our second trip this year down to Duras (noted for its wine) where, during our last trip we met a Triumph owner who lives  in the town. He has a superb workshop occupying the whole area under his house. This accommodates all his machinery as well as two 2500 Estates, a Stag and a TR6.

My car is still waiting for a new interior but mechanically, it should be as good as it can possibly be although having said that I'm sure some gremlin will pop up at the eleventh hour. We are running a 3.27 diff and overdrive which is ideal for this kind of journey but may make the car a bit pedestrian at Goodwood!

John, I would seriously recommend wax protecting the bodywork behind the protectors. Just a tin of waxoyl poured into a pot, heated and brushed on would be sufficient. That way when muck sits between the protector and the bodywork, you won't have as much concern when you can't clean it off quickly.

Nice idea these.

242 wrote:

Where did you get the protectors from?
RR

I made them and at the risk of boring everybody, here's how I did it

Starting with a cardboard template the aluminium, in this case 1.2mm 1050A pure aluminium is cut to size allowing for any returns and safe edges that need to be added. I cut two pieces of marine ply to the shape of the template and clamped the aluminium between the two. Clamping is vitally important and you can never have enough G clamps.

The curved return following the line of the sill can be tapped over using a soft face mallet or wooden chaser progressively and bring it down together. Where the metal curves it needs to shrink and it will go into itself and any wrinkles will disappear so long as you have a soft face on one side and a hard one on the other. If both faces are hard then the material will stretch.

The safe edges are treated in the same way turning them at right angles. Once the panel has been removed from the wooden backing it is clamped to a flat surface and the edge turned the rest of the way. It will bend along the line of the fold. Just tap it over gently a bit at a time.

A little bit of hand forming was needed to produce the slope of the front of the sill. It just needs fixing holes to be punched in.

It's sad really but I always find it quite exciting to to fit the parts that I have made and have been powder coated; everything is clean and shiny and fits perfectly (or should do)

Here are a couple of pictures of the Golf radiator installation with the new stainless steel frame for the fans and the newly powder coated ducting.

2597 wrote:
I dont suppose you made any paper templates with dimensions John?

You are very welcome to borrow the whole kit which includes a cardboard and thin ply template and the marine ply hammerforms.

Just drop me a PM with your address and I'll pop them in the post to you.

John

3141 wrote:

You are very welcome to borrow the whole kit which includes a cardboard and thin ply template and the marine ply hammerforms.

Just drop me a PM with your address and I'll pop them in the post to you.

John

A couple more pictures which might help if you are going to make a pair

2597 wrote:
Hi John

I am looking to add something similar to my own spitfire.  did you have to cut off the rear of the front wheel arch?
What is the rubber on there for?

ps Nice build.

Sorry, I missed this. The rubber is the standard seal which is clipped on to the end of the inner wing and no, I haven't cut the inner wing. It actually fits down behind the protector panel which is stood off from the bulkhead/sill by 20mm spacers. the panels are secured using M5 rivnuts.

I hope this helps.

John

Smithy has always said "We like pictures and videos", so following the pictures here's a bit of video principally to test out a new camera mount which, it turns out, is absolute rubbish! The click click noise is the camera vibrating against the screen.

It's a bit boring but hope to have some decent footage at Goodwood along with a steadier mount.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3eQv6LWyDw

rotoflex wrote:
Those plates are really nice designs & fabrication.

Why, I thank you kind Sir. Do you think there would be a market for them?  :) Only joshing, I get bored by the second one so I couldn't possibly make them to order.

Anyway, they seem to be doing a good job, this picture having been taken after the video run.