GT6 restoration. Why did I take this on!

John Bonnett

Hi Roy and Smithy, good to hear from you and thank you for your comments. I'm really pleased with how its come out and today was a milestone.

Roy the radiator is 10 degrees off vertical and there are two nine inch fans in front of the rad. These are operated by a dual temperature switch and there is an over ride switch on one of them. I hope they will be sufficient to do the job.

I'm sorry that I couldn't get to Stoneleigh but I do hope we will be able to meet up soon perhaps at Prescott in May?

regards

John

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1381 wrote:
Bloody gorgeous car. John, did you get the Serck style numberplates or did they come with the car?

The number plates came with the car and you are absolutely right, they are Serck plates.

West Country Triumph did a very nice job for me on the bodywork so I am now having to do an equally good job inside the car by  purchasing all new interior trim. More expense aghhhhhh!!

3141 wrote:

The number plates came with the car and you are absolutely right, they are Serck plates.

West Country Triumph did a very nice job for me on the bodywork so I am now having to do an equally good job inside the car by  purchasing all new interior trim. More expense aghhhhhh!!

Looking gorgeous John and sounds lovely as well, don't worry about the expense as I'm sure you will want to keep her (the car) for many years and get lots of pleasure too

Thank you all for your replies and nice comments. I'll not forget that it was only through your support and encouragement at the outset that prevented me from throwing in the towel. I'm really glad I didn't. It is a very pretty car and I'll not begrudge spending a few bob to make it look presentable inside.

I'm hoping to be at the Prescott Triumph day in May and hope to be able to meet many of you there and to thank you personally.

Best regards

John

• 4 weeks later...

The car is all done now apart from a new set of carpets will have to wait until after our holiday at the end of the month.

I've just taken a few pictures of the car and I am really pleased with how it has turned out. It was well worth all those hours during the Winter in a freezing cold workshop. We have a 700 mile round trip in the car next week so it will be interesting to see how I feel about the car after that marathon.

Anyway here are a few pictures

Thank you all. It has yet to be tested on a proper journey but if we manage the trip to Suffolk and back next week without being deafened and crippled things are looking good for our raid into France at the end of the month.

I've filled in the entry form for Prescott and hope to see you there. I've driven Prescott in anger and it is truly awesome and bites back if you turn in too early (remember the adage,"Middle of the corner, middle of the road"). Be warned or you will be off and taking the short way back to the Paddock. Only joking. Do drive it if you can because like Shelsey and Cadwell it is one of those boxes you must tick before you die.

John

Wow!

I was up early so decided to browse the forum to pass a few minutes......

Then I came across your thread and somehow over an hour's passed!!

Congratulations on a splendid job.

I'm 750hrs into rebuilding my Mk3, so recognised many of the comments you've made here. There's still some way to go with mine, but I'm mightily encouraged to see what you've achieved.

Cheers                   John

It will be good to meet you Roy at last and to thank you in person for your advice on fitting the Golf radiator. It seems to work well although I wonder whether the two nine inch fans will cope on a very hot day in stationary traffic. I hope we don't find out in France. Both are now mounted engine side of the radiator which will give them the best chance, so, we'll see.

Lucky 13, best of luck with your rebuild. I hope it gives you as much pleasure as mine has. At 750 hours in, you must be well on your way with it. Any pictures?

John

Lovely stuff, what a nice car.

Reckon the fans will be fine.

Are you taking to the Alps, if so, think about the silicon brake fluid. I had a bad experience with that stuff in the Alps back in 2005 boiling up, think about using conventional fluid.

Fantastic car and I hope that you have a great time driving her.

timbancroft61 wrote:
Lovely stuff, what a nice car.

Reckon the fans will be fine.

Are you taking to the Alps, if so, think about the silicon brake fluid. I had a bad experience with that stuff in the Alps back in 2005 boiling up, think about using conventional fluid.

Fantastic car and I hope that you have a great time driving her.

That's very kind of you thank you. We are not going to the Alps this time, we are spending a week in Brittany and then down to the Loire followed by a week near Bordeaux in South West France. We are then nipping into Spain to catch the ferry from Santander back to Plymouth so it should be a very nice trip for a GT. I never know if GT stands for Greater Trouble  :)

• 1 month later...

We have just returned from a really enjoyable holiday in France and the GT6 did us proud. We took the Plymouth Roscoff ferry, spent a week in Brittany and then drove down to southwest France for ten days returning to the UK from Santander in Spain to Plymouth; a 1250 mile round trip. The only problem was the light switch which broke up internally. Great service from James Paddock saved the day and a brand new switch was fitted in time for our return.

In Brittany we had the same torrential rain as here in the UK and the car coped well apart from a leak on the bottom corner of the windscreen which ran into the passenger's footwell soaking everything in the glove pocket on its way down.

The Golf radiator worked well even in the 30 plus degrees on the way down through Spain. However, the two 9 inch electric fans couldn't hold the temperature down in the stop start traffic in Santander so this will need to be sorted out. I was pleased that despite no heat shields fitted there was no fuel vaporisation so that was a relief.

My wife and I found the car really comfortable even after 300 miles in a day and this is in unrestored seats that have done 80,000 miles. We have the 3.27 diff and overdrive which made their contribution with lower noise levels and effortless cruising.

So, all in all, very encouraging particularly bearing in mind that this time last year the car was looking very sorry for itself.

mpbarrett wrote:
Only just noticed this thread, what a great rebuild and lovely car!  Mines a late Mk3 in the same shade of blue, which I think really suits the cars shape.  

mike

Hi Mike, I know Smithy doesn't agree but I too love the colour; it really suits the car and very appropriate, being French Blue, for the trip to France. It is very similar to the colour of the 2CV that we parked in front of in Duras.

John

John, are you going to paint it Italian Red for your next trip then?  :P :)
In truth, your car has brought me around a bit from the hatred I developed for French Blue (in all the time my car was that colour). Yours looks good. The Stag I saw yesterday in my local garage looked good too. Tastes mature as we age!