GT6 restoration. Why did I take this on!

John Bonnett

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4196 wrote:
John,

Why are you selling the car?

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C324334

Ah, you spotted it then.

Well, I originally bought the car as a scrapper just as a pattern to copy. It was then, and still is, my ambition to build a MK3 GT6 replica body in aluminium to go on a tax exempt MK4 Spitfire chassis and running gear. It was a very pleasant surprise to find what a good, straight and solid car the GT6 was and it really deserved saving, so for the time being, the project was shelved while I concentrated on its restoration and putting it where it should be, back on the road. I have derived much pleasure not only from the restoration but from actually using the car. And use it we have. We had a fantastic three week holiday motoring down through France and into Spain and, although the trip to the Isle of Skye by GT6 didn't happen, we are, very shortly, off again to Southwest France for ten days, This will take the mileage driven in the car since May up to over 5000; all without a hitch.

I'm not getting any younger and I would like to make a start on the new project before I become too feeble to wield a bossing hammer.  :P Sadly, I don't have the resources to keep a whole stable of cars so the GT6 will have to go to make room for, and fund the new project.

I really have done my best within my means to make the GT6 as good as I possibly can and although it is advertised for a lot of money it certainly is a very special car and in my extremely biased view, good value.

John

I'd recognise that car anywhere :)

It must be very difficult to let go after putting so much time, effort and money into it and also getting some great memories driving it?

I will be interested to know if you get near your asking price as I firmly believe these cars are worth more than they generally seem to get, especially ones in such good nick as yours. Having said that no windscreen surround has got to be at least £2k off  ;D ;)

[quote=4196]I'd recognise that car anywhere :)

Having said that no windscreen surround has got to be at least �2k off  ;D ;)

I see now, that's why it hasn't been snapped up!  ;)

I know it is very subjective but I too think the GT6 is iconic; lovely to look at, fantastic to listen to and the view over the bonnet is superb.

As you say, a lot of me has been put into the rebuild and a great part of me wants to hang on to it so if nobody comes up with the full asking price, it will remain as part of the family and I may have to settle for a less ambitious project.

I already have the Spitfire, so if the GT6 doesn't sell, I could do a body similar to the Sammio which Is very pretty and would not cost much or take much time to do.

We'll see how it pans out.

Good luck with the sale & your objective of creating the aluminum-bodied GT6.  So far, it seems so good all around:  a car saved, then a car put into excellent condition, enjoyment had, & soon someone will be getting one of the best examples on the road.  And I eagerly await seeing the aluminum-bodied GT6.

Thanks for the great write up on this resto.  Have read it several times and will be referencing it more in the future as I have just purchased my own project - a 1968 GT6 MK I.  A couple of pics attached.  Have not seen the car yet as it was an internet purchase.  I collect it in early October.

From what I gather, the car is in almost similar condition to what you started with - rusted floors and offside rear wing.  And the transmission internals are missing, but I purchased a MK II engine and transmission earlier this year so will use that for any bits and pieces needed.

I already have a MK I GT6 in good driving condition. I like it so much I figure it would be good to resto another one while I can continue to drive mine.

I have also not seen another MK I GT6 on the road - and I drive a lot and visit various British / Euro car shows.  Have only seen two other MK I's - this one and another project that I did not purchase (regret).

Doubt that my rebuild will be completed as quickly as yours as in addition to my 8 - 5 job, I am also undertaking some higher education between now and June 2013.

Thanks for the inspiration.

jb

1264 wrote:
Thanks for the great write up on this resto.  Have read it several times and will be referencing it more in the future as I have just purchased my own project - a 1968 GT6 MK I.  A couple of pics attached.  Have not seen the car yet as it was an internet purchase.  I collect it in early October.

From what I gather, the car is in almost similar condition to what you started with - rusted floors and offside rear wing.  And the transmission internals are missing, but I purchased a MK II engine and transmission earlier this year so will use that for any bits and pieces needed.

I already have a MK I GT6 in good driving condition. I like it so much I figure it would be good to resto another one while I can continue to drive mine.

I have also not seen another MK I GT6 on the road - and I drive a lot and visit various British / Euro car shows.  Have only seen two other MK I's - this one and another project that I did not purchase (regret).

Doubt that my rebuild will be completed as quickly as yours as in addition to my 8 - 5 job, I am also undertaking some higher education between now and June 2013.

Thanks for the inspiration.

jb

Hi John, very good to hear from you and thank you for your kind words. What a nice situation to be in; to have a GT6 to drive and another to restore. It does actually take the pressure off getting it finished just so that you can drive it. Your car looks to be, as mine was, basically very sound and straight and a real pleasure to refurbish. I'm just coming up to 70 so no time to lose, (so much to do and so little time!  ;) that's why I pressed on with my resto and hopefully still time to build the Special.

Do keep us posted with your progress and plenty of pictures please.

rotoflex wrote:
Good luck with the sale & your objective of creating the aluminum-bodied GT6.  So far, it seems so good all around:  a car saved, then a car put into excellent condition, enjoyment had, & soon someone will be getting one of the best examples on the road.  And I eagerly await seeing the aluminum-bodied GT6.

Do you know Bill, I really don't want to sell it and I dread getting any enquiries for it. I took it out last night for a test drive after doing a few jobs including  fitting new vertical links and re-setting  the tracking to a smidgeon of toe in and it was absolutely magical. What could be better than driving a car that you have put new life into on a beautiful Summer's evening. It just doesn't get any better.

Maybe I'll have to extend the garage and settle for a less ambitious (read expensive) project than a GT4.

In writing this, I've come to a decision and have decided that come what may, I have to keep the car. Ad now deleted.

I feel better already  ;) ;) ;)

4058 wrote:
john

i think its the right decision, your car looked really nice, i have often sold vehicles, then later regretted it.
but once gone, its not normal that they come back

keep it and enjoy, well done
cheers
shaun

Thank you Shaun, wise words. I've always thought the test of a decision is how you feel when you've made it and I really do feel good so it has to be the right one.

I have had my mk2 since I was 22, now 51 and will never get rid, its part of me and my life. Driving the car is so instinctive, still love it.

JOhn, that is a good decision not to sell.

My only worry is that they are starting to hit higher prices and that will stop the young uns being able to buy them. They are such a small car that in these days of larger people I imagine many people who are in the later stages of life will not be able to fit into them! This will rule out the people who wish to have an old British sports car, they'll all buy TRs.

Good advantage is that they will become feasible to restore, however so many have been bodged!

JS Bulmer: Like the look of the reddish mk1, good luck and keep us all in touch with the resto.

Thank you for your replies and for reinforcing my decision not to sell. The GT6 is a very special car in every way and brings pleasure to me whenever I look at it as well as driving it so like you Tim with your car, I think it is part of the family now. I'm still not sure how I can fit the new project around it but I will find a way.

As far as value is concerned, it is strange that the GT6 has never made decent money but as you say it does look as if that might be changing which I don't think is a wholly bad thing. True it might put them out of reach of some younger people but restorations would be more viable and perhaps more cars would be saved.

We are booked on the Pont Aven leaving Plymouth for Roscoff on 13th September as the first step in our run down to Bordeaux for a few days holiday. France has some lovely roads which really suit the GT6 and on the way, I'm hoping to call in at two or three Triumph friendly garages just to say hello. That reminds me I must get the breathalysers!

339 wrote:
John

Have you fitted the shocks and springs yet?

No I haven't Tim. I've been getting the car ready for the holiday sorting out minor problems as well as fitting the new vertical links.

Plan is to put them on after we get back from France. I hope that's okay with you and that you are not in a rush to have them back. Please let me know if there is a problem.

John

339 wrote:
John

Have you fitted the shocks and springs yet?

No I haven't Tim. I've been getting the car ready for the holiday sorting out minor problems as well as fitting the new vertical links.

Plan is to put them on after we get back from France. I hope that's okay with you and that you are not in a rush to have them back. Please let me know if there is a problem.

John

339 wrote:
No rush John, just curious.

Yes, so am I Tim. I'm not sure how feasible this would be but it would be interesting to do a back to back comparison at Goodwood in November. If the springs/shocks are assembled it should be quite a quick job to do a few laps and then change them. Same with the anti-roll bar. I have one of the bent wire ones and it would be interesting to see how it handles with the stiffer springs and the thin bar.

3141 wrote:

Yes, so am I Tim. I'm not sure how feasible this would be but it would be interesting to do a back to back comparison at Goodwood in November. If the springs/shocks are assembled it should be quite a quick job to do a few laps and then change them. Same with the anti-roll bar. I have one of the bent wire ones and it would be interesting to see how it handles with the stiffer springs and the thin bar.

as long as to have 2 pairs of upper spring seats it would be easy to swap them.  I say 2 pairs because you could assemble the avos with the springs under tension and set the ride height before going to goodwood.  Setting the ride height is about the longest aspect of the change over.

339 wrote:

as long as to have 2 pairs of upper spring seats it would be easy to swap them.  I say 2 pairs because you could assemble the avos with the springs under tension and set the ride height before going to Goodwood.  Setting the ride height is about the longest aspect of the change over.

That was what I was going to do Tim. I think you said wind them up to about half way. I shall be able to use the upper spring seats on my new project so they won't be wasted.