GT6 electric pump - location?

BrendanD

OK, suggestions please.
My car as currently set up has an oil cooler with braided hoses and a thermostat in line, black painted metal engine valances (the louvred ones) and a Facet electric pump fixed to the valance opposite the place for the mechanical pump. The rest of the fuel line is standard. A garage fixed this there after I left the car with them for a week to sort the car on a RR (and it wasn't getting enough fuel from the mech one). The mech pump fixing is blanked off.
Two problems:
1. The Facet is horribly noisy... tap tap tap tap.... as soon as it gets warm.
2. In order to get at the oil filter to unscrew it, I'd have to remove the fuel pump.... as there just isn't space to get a hand down there.

So I now have a Hulco to fit, which is bigger than the Facet, plus a land rover inertia switch. I've also got plenty of fuel line both metal and rubber.
So where have people mounted their engine bay electric pumps and how have they routed their lines?
I have Stromberg carbs with forward entry for fuel and a brake servo taking up space next to the battery on the bulkhead.
Thanks!

personally I would mount it by the tank.

it will stay cooler and most pumps have more than enough pressure to feed su's and strombergs(the main reason that a facet gets fitted and is noisy is because the pump pressure means the needle valves are fighting to close)
when I had a facet pump I fitted a regulator before the carbs and also a feed back to the tank after the carbs so any excess fuel didn't hang around in the hot engine bay,the pump ran quiet as they should do in normal operation. :)

One Huco pump, I could hear it only when it primed when I turned the key with the engine not running as soon as the engine started I could just hear engine.

Power through a fuse.

Mounted to the tub.

I used a piece of old inner tube to insulate the pump from the metal surfaceand two m8 bolts. The mounting bracket is plastic so I would think it would insulate the pump noise.

Chris.

My GT6 suffers a fair bit from fuel starvation when abroad in extreme heat. I've often thought about insulating the fuel pipes but what I have seen available looks crap. However, I recently saw a 1920s Bentley and was impressed by the fuel lines...until I realised that they were sleeved by 'shower hose'. Now given that these dissipate heat getting out, they must do the same for heat getting in i.e. insulating the fuel from external heat. When I get around to it I'll report back.

Now, back to the subject - where can I get a fuel pump blanking plate?

For the blanking plate I found the size to be the same as the one used on a mini and theses are available for a couple of quid complete with gasket from eBay.
My fuel pump is similar to the Huco type and was robbed from the stag the night before the last rbrr as the mechanical one failed. I clamped it next to the battery and as it was fine for a couple of thousand miles I've just left it there.

Hi Don you wont get any fuel starvation with the huco as as soon as the fuel evaporates it is replaced by more. The car will also run cooler as it will run richer as the fuel is colder. Don't bother with the tin foil crap just by a huco pump and be done with it.

Chris.

Yes Tim, I finally gave up on the delco so hopefully the ignition problems that have plagued the car for many years will have been eradicated. I'm really happy with the 123tune I've not had much opportunity to play with the tuning side of it. I did try getting my 10 year old daughter to tweak it with the laptop whilst on a run but she somehow erased the map which brought us to a halt and it had to be reloaded. Currently it's running the standard gt6 mk1 ignition curve and the change from the old distributor is incredible loads more oomph all through the rev range with no hesitation at all. Feels like a whole load of power has been released, it's using more fuel though but as I'm going a good deal quicker so I suppose it's to be expected.
Floyd.

As I have a brake servo there is no room on the bulkhead by the battery. I may investigate moving it forward on the engine valance to sit beneath the alternator, or finding a bracket and mounting it off the blanking plate has has been suggested. I have some rubber insulating mounts from the facet.

Brendan, I think the best position was were I had the pump below the bulkhead on the passenger side there is a flat panel that it fits perfectly. It also means less wiring and I also wouldn't mount it on bobbins. The plastic bracket is perfect for the job. Trust the Germans.

Chris.

When I had carbs I used to use one of these mounted to the inner rear wing with an exhaust bobbin: http://www.webcon.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=48

Couldn't hear it whatsoever during operation, and still can't now that it's being used as a feeder pump for my high pressure EFI pump.