Brake pad & discs advice

stripyt6

Hi all, I'm looking to buy some yellow stuff pads for my GT6, I've used them before on my Elise and really liked the feel. Question is, did the front callipers change at all from yr / yr. My T6 is based on a 71 GT6 chassis, but goodness knows if it has original front callipers from that year.

Also - I'm looking to get some cross drilled discs, not so much for the performance (I know this won't change) but jsut because I like how they look (I know the can get cracks around the holes - I'll monitor them). Does anyone have any experience of http://www.canleyclassics.com/?xhtml=xhtml/product/drilleddiscs.html&xsl=product.xsl

.. as ever any advice greatly appreciated :)

everyone on this forum slates the EBC pads.  I have used greenstuff in both my GT6 and a Fiat Uno Turbo.  I found them to be an excellent choice.  Saying that I do now use mintex 1144's but only because the EBC pads are not available for the calipers i am using.

The calipers are not all the same. Early calipers had 1/4" pad retaining pins. Later ones are smaller, 3/16" I think but not sure. Therefore there are 2 types of pad, with different holes to suit the different sized pins. The change happened around 1972 and affected other cars with these calipers as well.
I have used Greenstuff pads for years and very pleased with them (daily driven GT6 with no servo). Early and late Greenstuff pads are both on sale at Rimmers at the moment.

I reckon that the best brake pads are ye olde asbestos pads. I replaced a set of those with Greenstuff pads, and the brakes just didn't bite as well. The first drive was a disappointment, and the brakes felt wooden. After a while I got used to them, but that's like saying that eventually you get used to some new ache in your back or knees.

When I found some NOS asbestos pads and fitted them, the brakes were brilliant again - just as Triumph intended. My Herald had lost its ache! However, because asbestos isn't good for the lungs, they were eventually replaced with Mintex 1144s, which are no better than the asbestos ones, but no worse either.

One of the first things I did to the car was fit Green Stuff and they were an improvement without question over what must have been cheap pads in there before. However, the moment I tried Mintex 1144 my eyes opened - it's like chalk and cheese. Pagid fast road pads are about the same as Green Stuff, just fractionally better. However, from what I've been told the compound on Green Stuff has changed at least once in the last 6-7 years, but I have nothing to prove that.

The EBC Ultramax (meant to be OEM spec.) in the Acclaim have been excellent, but will fade when hustling the car on normal roads.

Having tried three brands of pads in the Herald I'm now fully decided on the one brand I'll use from now on.

timbancroft61 wrote:
I agree with Laurence, I have had no problem with them. Only thing I don't agree with is that the package states that one will not get brake dust, umm, that's not true. Otherwise a reasonable pad.

Not at all, my front wheels are filthy after a good drive!! Made me wonder just how much brake dust you get from normal pads which, I assume, make more dust!

I have used Greenstuff on the Spitfire for many years, there was not much difference over standard to start with until I fitted a servo, then they started working.  Basically putting more force on the pads got them up to a proper working temperature.  Ok so I have weak legs  ;)

I use Mintex on the TR7, much better than standard but they do not last long about 8K and there is a lot more dust than the Greenstuff.

Excellent :) thanks good feedback, I've used green in the past which I didn't like (on an Elise) then moved to Yellows which I thought were a massive improvement. However, as there is SO much possitive feedback on the Mintex 1144 I'll go for a set of those .. for the earlier calliper (which I probably have anyway) and drill them out if I need to. I'll take a look at Tarox or Black diamond, I've used EBC turbo grooved (again on my old Elise) which I thought were pretty good, but I have no idea if they work well on a GT6 - so nice to have some advice from those in the know!

If you are using solid discs, drilled or not with 1144,1155 or whatever performance pads.....you will still eventually cook the brakes with prolonged excesive high speed braking, fine for the odd spirited thrash but look at vented Capri 2.8 discs with the Triumph 3.75" PCD holes drilled and caliper spacers to accomodate the wider/cooler discs if you feel the need to drop down a fast mountain pass with 'passion' or even a track day.  

I don't think he will uksnatcher, the T6's are much lighter than a standard GT6 and the GT6 brakes with good pads and discs will cope fine with track day fun when they are kept in good fettle. Just make sure the discs and pads are good quality and the brake fluid is a high temp one. I would recommend the castrol response. It really does what it says on the tin.

Chris.

The Black Diamond ones were rated the best and most aggressive disc's by max power a few years back. It was such a big thing the other brake co. made changes to their products as they were so inferior. Also remember max power are dealing with 500+ bhp cars. I think the failures will have been very rare and more than likely on the cars mentioned. The only down side to them is fast pad wear because they are aggressive. I have not used mine yet but I'll give a we write up once I have.

Chris.