bob dunn

Hugh glossip, tssc chap who has gone very quiet since he was involved in a nasty accident a few years ago.
Pinto, type 9 gearbox, pair of twinchoke carbs etc. All pretty simple, tricky bit was exhaust from memory.

Also been done plenty of times over the years, along with crossflow, plus countless other conversions.

However, zetec is the more modern choice, but these are getting harder to find as donor cats are all more than 10 years old. However, 150bhp is easy, same weight as the 4 cylinder triumph. Use bike carbs or aftermarket injection.

More modern choice would be curated, but would need special bell housing.
Or on here Chris has installed a zetec s, very light and capable engine.

The pinto is a loathsome, cam-eating, boat-anchor excuse for an engine and best weighed in.  (Can you tell I don't like them much  :P)

Weighs as much as a Triumph 6 without making much power or even a nice noise.  As already mentioned, the Zetec is a far superior modern alternative.  The Zetec SE is even better (very light weight) though a bit more involved as a special bell housing is needed to fit to the T9.  

Also don't forget the Mazda MX5, which comes with it's own gearbox.

Nick

All change, got a good Triumph 2000 engine with and overdrive gear box on it in a car for peanuts . So things I think I need . 1 home made prop shaft   2  gt6 exaust manifold and exaust  3  engine plate to move the starter out of the way  4 engine mounts gt6 or home made . 5  radiator gt6,electric fan.  6  oil cooler . Method: body off , engine and box out , new stuff on , body and gt6 bonnet on , down the pub . jobs a gud un.  Q :  does the Triumph 2000 gear box fit in the spit chassis . I,m sure there is plenty more to this change all help is welcome .

It will go in, but needs a dolomite sprint slave cylinder mount and cross shaft (or cut and weld the existing arm on the cross shaft)
Otherwise the chassis is rather in the way....
I welded a plate between thge chassis rails to bolt the rear mount to.

Be aware that first gear is rather low.

And you need gt6 front springs, and also brakes.....

And gt6/vitesse inlet manifold as it is stepped down to clear the bonnet.

Apologies for the slight slant on the topic but Rover/MG K4 VVC engine with a PG  would be a good a good combo, or a K4 with the R65 metro gearbox and a longer 5th gear. Something I'd love to do one day, does anyone know if its been done before?  I know if a few MGBs its been done in so I assume it's not impossible.

It shows how tastes differ!

I can appreciate how the additional towque of the 2.5 engine would be attractive, but having grown up in a time & place where V8's were in everything, I was completely seduced by the Triumph 2L inline 6!

I remember back in the day of several visits to the British Leyland dealership for repairs at first, then just parts, the salesmen trying to get me in a new car & always being asked if I wanted to test drive a car instead of waiting.  

I well remember the TR6 and it being a nice car, but still liking the 2L in my GT6 better.

Nick_Jones wrote:
  As already mentioned, the Zetec is a far superior modern alternative.  The Zetec SE is even better (very light weight) though a bit more involved as a special bell housing is needed to fit to the T9.  

Nick

http://www.rwdmotorsport.com/

These guys do the bell housing for the Zetec SE to type 9. Engine weight 80kg. Standard 100bhp. Throttle bodies 135bhp. N/a max 220bhp. I have made mounts for this engine, everything else for the conversion is off the shelf. PM for details.

Chris.

Ok, this isn't based upon any actual experience, yet, but I don't understand why anyone fits the Ford lump now. You've got the faff converting it to rear wheel drive for a start and it's heavy. Apparently some bloke down the pub might have told a mate that the Mazda engine weighs almost half of the Triumph lump. And Mazda invested millions in getting it to work with a gear box. The rear axle is the same ratio as a Herald and even the clutch master cylinder has the same bore.

I'd skip Ford and go for something already driving the rear wheels, personally.

6485 wrote:
, what about converting one of the new 3 cyl 1 litre ford engines, not much weight in one of those I'd wager.

It's cast iron block/head and exhaust manifold is part of the head. it's also turboed so even though it looks good it causes lots of problems and I don't think it will be cheap.

I've seen 97kg as the weight but I don't think this will include the turbo etc.

Chris.

OMG is that an optical illusion on pic 5 on that link Nang!!!!!!! Wholly Bonnet Modifications Batman!!!!

I'm sure you have all guessed it by now but the Zetec SE is one of the best to use. I spent a long time looking at different engines down the breakers. It even fitted under the original spitfire mk2 bonnet and it might be possible to fit it without any tub mods.

Chris.