Spitfire seats

Ambulance Aran

Sorry too all the traditionalists, but I’m thinking of swapping out the seats (mk4 1972 1300) and putting in something a bit different.

Anyone tried to take off the bottom runners and fit/adapt them onto a ‘new’ seat from a modern car? Or is it easier to remove it all and adapt the ‘car to the seats’?
cheers

Many people put MX5 seats in (I think the Mk1 version).

What's the problem with your seats? The originals are often criticised for being uncomfortable but that's nearly always because they're knackered. I refurbished the ones on my GT6, having previously had a set of MkIV Spitfire ones professionally rebuilt for my Spitfire, using the kit from Park Lane. It's not actually that difficult - just takes patience and the ability to follow instructions. We did the RBRR in the Spitfire and neither of us felt any discomfort at the end of it.

• Like 1

Rob

I fitted Mazda 2.5 seats to our GT6 last year because the seat back are too low. The headrests only came up to the bottom of my neck! 

The headrests on the Mazda seats almost reach the roof of the car so are much safer in an accident

Regards

Bruce

Edited by Rubce
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Ambulance Aran said:

Sorry too all the traditionalists, but I’m thinking of swapping out the seats (mk4 1972 1300) and putting in something a bit different.

Anyone tried to take off the bottom runners and fit/adapt them onto a ‘new’ seat from a modern car? Or is it easier to remove it all and adapt the ‘car to the seats’?
cheers

About the only seats that fit in a spitfire are early MX5. I do wonder if elise seats would fit, but they are not cheap to try and find they don't.

Even the MX5 seats have issues. I found they sit me too high, as many others do. Some people get on well with them. No chance of fitting spitfire runners to them. 

12 hours ago, thescrapman said:

Make sure you post loads of photos of your Cactus seats when you get them done.

Although no chance of fitting them in a Herald, Discovery Almond Green leather looks to be a very similar colour

20221220_152926.jpg

Edited by mikeyb
  • Like 1

Got to say, that I still think the Spitfire/GT6 recliners are decent seats once they have been renovated. Nothing wrong with MX5 seats( apart from the tombstone ones, which look wrong in a Spitfire), but I like the Triumph seats.

Obviously the physical size of an owner affects the choice, but my comparison between the Triumph and Mazda seats (I have MX5 seats in my TR6, I don't like the Triumph seats in those) is that I find the Triumph seats in my GT6 preferable.

• Like 1

Having messed about with seats in various Triumphs over the years my conclusion is that in most cases the OE seats (or sometimes a later version from the later models) work best when in good condition. Honourable exception to this being Herald/Vitesse where MGF or MX5 seats work very well.

Your experience may vary according to your size. I am very tall so for Spitfire /GT6 it is important for me that the seats are no higher than the OE and go back at least as far. Nothing I’ve found meets this criteria. No1 son (also tall) has Mk1 MX5 separate- headrest seats in his Spit. Initially way too high and not enough leg room so we spent ages modifying the corners and runners to go as low and far back as possible. The leg-room issue is solved. The height issue, not really. Inspite of a significant “foamectomy”.

After much consideration and based on this experience I rebuilt some later OE seats with headrests for my GT6 and I fit comfortably in that.  Possibly the vertically challenged might appreciate the extra height of modern seats, but be wary!

Nick

Edited by Nick Jones
  • Like 1

As Nick says NOTHING FITS, MX5 seats are too high a seat base at 6ft 5 I have no chance Gt Spit seats work. I had a pair of Kirkey aluminium race seats in my EFI Gt very thin high density foam padding  near the floor but the seat width to acomodate my lard arse created fitting issues had to cut the alloy in the seat corners and beat the rear inner corners of the floor pans to get them in the Gt. Getting in and out of those high sided seats another issue NOT A PRETTY SIGHT. ( Crawl in, Park arse, Roll out. ) Having a buggered back not helpful either.

Edited by Gt6s