What have you done recently or are planning to do soon to your Triumph?

Tim Bancroft

Got some decent quality manifold nuts from DMG and some decent heavy duty spring washers from a local supplier (Danlet/ https://www.bolts.co.uk/) and fitted the manifolds on the Spitfire. So much better than the scabby objects previously used. 

Also replaced the re-used nyloc on the track-rod-end with a new one when they arrived.

What have I done recently to the Triumph? Well Wednesday morning took it out for its first outing of the year, it took a little longer to start than usual - it was a cold and frosty morning. Drove it the 3 Kms to my local garage and left it for him to look at the rear brakes. One sticks from time to time. I await his diagnostic.

OK, so I wimped out, my reason being I have health problems which make working under the car difficult plus the car gets to sit in a nice garage for a while.

Mind you I have done the difficult work of checking out stocks of the likely parts to be replaced from suppliers in France and will order any needed.

The parking area at home does look a bit empty without it 😵

On 19/01/2023 at 21:59, thescrapman said:

I want Cactus leather, though leather cloth will do as a compromise.

Saw some beautiful cactus leather at the NEC resto  show last year 

very tempted - but going to see a local upholsterer to see what they have available  leather may be a little out of my budget at present 

2.5 PI Mk2 Saloon - fitted the newly trimmed Alfa seats, I'm really pleased with the colour match to the chestnut interior.

2000 Mk1 Estate - ran an additional power feed to the passenger footwell, fitted an oil pressure gauge, a voltmeter and a tachometer, they don't add any power but I do like instrumentation.

I also used my new pressure washer for the first time and gave these two cars a good underbody wash, hoping to do the GT6 & TR6 tomorrow.

Alfa seats fitted.jpg

Edited by iani
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, iani said:

2.5 PI Mk2 Saloon - fitted the newly trimmed Alfa seats, I'm really pleased with the colour match to the chocolate interior.

2000 Mk1 Estate - ran an additional power feed to the passenger footwell, fitted an oil pressure gauge, a voltmeter and a tachometer, they don't add any power but I do like instrumentation.

I also used my new pressure washer for the first time and gave these two cars a good underbody wash, hoping to do the GT6 & TR6 tomorrow.

Alfa seats fitted.jpg

Which Alfa are they from 

2000 Mk1 Estate - It was -5C this morning, took an age to defrost the car, hopefully fitting a heated rear screen next weekend will help, new seals are needed all round as the ice on the inside is harder to shift. I didn't fancy driving far today in case salt had been put down, not seen much this year though, I think the council can't afford it. I used the time to fit a Hazard relay, switch & warning light, very straightforward on this car, the indicator wiring even had a spare slot for the bullets from the switch. I need to work out where to mount the switch now, not keen on making holes in the trim.

2.5 PI Saloon - cover removed, car & cover dried off, cover replaced, battery on charge, gave the car a good clean, including the engine bay.

7 minutes ago, yorkshire_spam said:

A really "productive" time in the garage, spending an hour looking for the part that fell off the work bench and somehow ended up in a box of parts even though I saw it hit the floor. FSCKING thing. 

Darren and myself both been there - done that and lost  our tempers  but nearly always  ‘triumphed’ in the end 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bit quiet this last week:

Mk1 2000 Estate - Fitted new radiator, previous one was 2/3 blocked up, spitting out coolant on a long run, no signs of overheating though. I also fitted one of Lloyd's new tailgate hinge covers, unfortunately I can't quite get the headlining to tuck under properly. I also can't get the rear roof light to work, no current so wiring issue somewhere.

Added 15inch alloys to the Tr7. They tend to suit the car better than 13inch.

The oil pump seals had been weeping so those have been replaced to. Word of warning to 7 owners check behind the transfer cover as the port of mine was sludged up restricting oil flow.

20230125_133131.jpg

On 02/02/2023 at 14:08, yorkshire_spam said:

Found more rust in "mot fail" places on the Spitfire, very disappointing as I was starting to think it was ready to go back on the road. The process of cutting it out and replacing with good metal has begun. 

Got one of the (more complicated) patches made, fitted and welded in yesterday, slow going but at least it's progress. Also tidied the garage a bit AND stripped my impact driver down to fit the rebuild kit. 

On 02/02/2023 at 13:20, Alex said:

Thanks ,

A group of triumph friends discussed these and it was decided that original was best. 

I’ve also spent more than enough….. further spending needs to slip under the management radar 😂

Alex,

I have some std drop links if you want them..foc. Will have them at Stoneleigh.