• 4 weeks later...

Is there already a list with addresses (or coordinates) for the various checkpoints
I will be abroad from next weekend till two days before the event,
so should be nice to program the satnav and mark the maps before the event.
Also will the road-book etc. be available online for those foreigners unable to attend the drivers briefing?

I think it's a bit of a shame that the list of checkpoints has been given without location information, so all the experienced teams now know where they are going, but us first timers won't be able to start looking at the route properly until after the drivers meeting.

As a first timer I'd have liked as long as possible to prepare in advance.

Sam

What do you want to know??

Most of the checkpoint descriptions are fairly self explanatory, though not all it has to be said.

Blythe Services on A1
Carter Bar (on English/Scottish border)
Edinburgh Airport
Skiatch (on A9 somewhere!)
JOG
Conon Bridge
Stirling
Tebay Services (the nicer family run one)
Gleddridd? Services on a motorway heading to Wales
Middle of nowhere in Wales (No idea where it is, I am usually asleep by then, even if I wasn't it is really dark)
Gordano Services (M5)
Okehampton (A30)
LE
Bude
Badgers thingy (On Dartmoor)
Pimperne (half way bewteen the last one and the next one)
Didcot

Any I have forgotten?

Colin

6797 wrote:
I think it's a bit of a shame that the list of checkpoints has been given without location information, so all the experienced teams now know where they are going, but us first timers won't be able to start looking at the route properly until after the drivers meeting.

As a first timer I'd have liked as long as possible to prepare in advance.

You're not missing a great deal and I think Tim has always worried about non-registered cars taking part if too much is made available to the mass public. You'll already have an idea of where you're going even if you're new and that's a huge advantage. The only extra info you'll find out from the road book is its near enough exact location (some require spotting a CT banner for the correct car park - Sugarloaf) and the times you'll be getting there if everything is going well. One thing I absolutely hate about the 10CR is not knowing anything until the exact last minute, the RBRR really has the edge on it there.

Ferny - for me a great thing about the 10CR is not knowing the route in any detail beforehand.

I would prefer "this is the start, these are the overnights and this is the finish". Maybe even no route just guidance to some great roads to be found in the countries you may visit.

But then I am probably in a minority ;)