SteveJP

Thought I'd start this years thread - so far my list is pretty short:

AA Relay - that's all I've needed on my last two attempts despite carrying lots of bits for the Spitfire : ;D-/ ;D ;D

Anyway this year for the Stag so far all I've got are:

Spare electronic ignition kit (Newtronic/Pirahna)
1 spare rear shock absorber - just happen to have one lying around
Set of hoses
Alternator (used)

Spares to get:
Electronic Fuel pump
Front Wheel bearing(s)
Front Brake Pads

Anything else then it'll be the yellow card again!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote=michael_charlton]Front and rear  whl bearings
quote]

Mike - instead of taking rear wheel bearings (you wouldn't seriously think of changing these by the roadside on a Spitfire would you?) why not make up a spare halfshaft/trunnion/backplate that has been modded to allow it to be used on either driver's or passenger side? It's quick and easy to do - I can give you details of the mod if you don't know it already.

[quote=sparky_spit]

michael_charlton wrote:
Front and rear  whl bearings
quote]

Mike - instead of taking rear wheel bearings (you wouldn't seriously think of changing these by the roadside on a Spitfire would you?) why not make up a spare halfshaft/trunnion/backplate that has been modded to allow it to be used on either driver's or passenger side? It's quick and easy to do - I can give you details of the mod if you don't know it already.

M
Id be interested in the concept please
However by the time youve removed the half shaft etc then its only 15minutes to change the bearing anyway, surely.
Ive done it  many times  before , so its second nature
One hub puller and one, two leg puller for the housing removal and jobs a good un

My tip: find out who is taking an alternator and get their tel number.

As for pads and shoes...surely when we give our cars the once over we'd know if our brakes can complete 2000 miles or so...shouldn't we?

Another MY TIP: oil is frighteningly expensive so might be worth taking a whole or 1/2 gallon of favourite oil.

Rob...I suppose you will be taking a head gasket??

AndyF wrote:
yeah like a TR6 clutch plate, always take one of those  :)

AndyF

Especaially if you know it is a bit flakey and your usual navigator says it seems better of late so should be OK if you take it easy.. :-)

Mike I think holds the record for the most abuse survived by a 6-rivit clutch plate .. (said in a clarkson voice) ....in the world.

Most people only got about 1000 miles, he got 10's of thousands, including autotests and the like.

GT6_Don wrote:

Another MY TIP: oil is frighteningly expensive so might be worth taking a whole or 1/2 gallon of favourite oil.

I took a whole gallon..... and used it..... and then some more.  Hopefully this will be sorted by September.  Although at the present rate (I started last March  :o) the old bottom end will get to play again - best pack plenty of Wynns  :P

Nick

• 2 months later...

Ok.
With only 153 days left to the run I am opening up the spares list... ;D ;D ;D

As the last one I ran (the RBRR) was a total let down with less than 50% take up.

2009 10CR was a massive 98% take up, but it was a lot of hard work emailing lots of people getting onto people's backs and a right pain in Thass.

This year the spares list will be an emailed item. I intend to have a closing day for the spares list, this will be given out in plenty of notice to enable the collation of the info and distribution to entrants.

Any thoughts or ideas about layout or anything please post here...

and yes I am taking a head gasket ;)

I wonder if the text of the spares list can be in larger font? I say this as it's sometimes a little difficult reading at night (alternator/battery), or being shaken to pieces (wobbly wheel), or panic after flying off an unprotected hairpin in the Alps (new bonnet at least), or trying to read list held tight in co-drivers hand while he/she dribbles down chin (err, that's chin as on face not Chinn as in Reading...err, that's Reading as in ex Premiership not reading...what you are doing now.

GT6_Don wrote:
I wonder if the text of the spares list can be in larger font ? I say this as it's sometimes a little difficult reading at night (alternator/battery), or being shaken to pieces (wobbly wheel), or panic after flying off an unprotected hairpin in the Alps (new bonnet at least), or trying to read list held tight in co-drivers hand while he/she dribbles down chin (err, that's chin as on face not Chinn as in Reading...err, that's Reading as in ex Premiership not reading...what you are doing now.

Its not only the cars that are getting old,needing spares, like stronger specs......

Archived