Start the clock...48 weeks to go

uksnatcher wrote:

Quick quote off P&O ferries website (cant book exact dates yet, so times and dates were slightly out) for no frills basic 2 bunk cabin Hull-Rot comes in at approx 215 pound
Then approx 3hrs drive to Calais from Rotterdam.

Problem with that is you would not arrive at the start until 10:30, and teh regs say anyone arriving after 9:45 will be refused entry to the event... :-(

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Problem with that is you would not arrive at the start until 10:30, and teh regs say anyone arriving after 9:45 will be refused entry to the event...

It would be a brave man who would refuse entry to the guy who organised the first 10CR.

After all, there's only 2000 miles to catch up with the main body of the event and if anyone can do that, then Raider's your man.  He's not one for fannying around. ;)

The must be some lassitude to allow those with time committment problems to take part.

A 10CR to the Med without seeing Martin's in his Speedos would be a bit of a let down.

However, being realistic.  He's no Tom Daly! :)

Jim.

So we cant count England as one of the '10 countries' .....(think) i guess Monaco is classed as country being a principality then? IE:

1.France
2.Monaco
3.Italy
4.Switzerland
5.Liechtenstein
6.Austria
7.Germany
8.Luxembourg
9.Belgium
10.Netherlands

Should be nice and toasty in the south of france in sept..... 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URhH4vYsZwE
Just watched this again.....ooooh ...roll on 8 months (ish)...:)

uksnatcher wrote:
So we cant count England as one of the '10 countries' .....(think) i guess Monaco is classed as country being a principality then? IE:

1.France
2.Monaco
3.Italy
4.Switzerland
5.Liechtenstein
6.Austria
7.Germany
8.Luxembourg
9.Belgium
10.Netherlands

Should be nice and toasty in the south of france in sept..... 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URhH4vYsZwE
Just watched this again.....ooooh ...roll on 8 months (ish)...:)

How do you know its not ....Italy then Slovenia? ;)

sparky_spit wrote:
Hmm....this early Thursday start in Jonny-Foreigner Land is going to create a problem for Team Banks.  We were hoping it would be quite a bit later in the morning than 07:00 to 08:45 BST.  

..............cross the night before??...........or are you saying if you were over there, then your alarm does n`t work before 7am in France?

why the big secrecy over the route ?
The whole idea of the 10CR back in the day was to "do 2,000 miles across Europe in a weekend" the 10 countries bit came later, people were encouraged to plot and bash depending on circumstances and meet at the overnight halt(s) It was called  fun and adventure!

I think it would be sensible to at least give locations (rather than the just the countries) of the overnight halts - this would allow entrants to study the "general" route and work out weather they want to even do the event or not ,then think about prep etc - we all have very busy lives  and its always good to know well in advance what you are doing to allow preparation.
I don't see the point of cable tying your hands onto the steering wheel and flogging your self to death -its not competitive !

If some people struggle to make the start at the right time ...so what..? as long as they set off do 2,000 miles cover as many countries as they can have fun driving  and get to the knees up at the finish in one piece its better than not entering?

Surely a "official" can sign them on at some point in the first 24hrs?

Tell you what I will stick around at the start if you want and sign late comers in and pass on the paper work laters?! :) I don't mind !

Andy talks a lot of sense.

The reason I didn't enter last time was because I didn't want to commit a lot of time and money to a long weekend I knew nothing about.

How do I know if I'm going to enjoy it?

The whole secrecy thing has always made it a pain! I remember marking up a load of horrid Michelin maps for entrants of the 05 event.

Never understood the 10 countries or the 2,000 miles- let's just have a nice event which features great driving over a long weekend with load of good mates.

I'd rather great roads were chosen rather than ones that make up the mileage or time.

I`m sure there is no `secrecy plot` just a matter of when or if the route is finished.(which to my knowledge was not up to a few weeks back)
Don`t forget that there are people who not only work behind the scenes in plotting the route, but also work.
So its a case of plotting and planning when they are not working.
It`s amazing how much time these things take to plan as you all should know(you v`e been at it a long time)
I`v only been involved with part of the arrangements eg the Italy hotel stop , and that has taken considerable time in its self.(and I don`t work)
In fact it was March when we first spoke to that hotel, when it was originally found and we have only just concluded the deal  
Whereby others have been involved with the actual road mapping/plotting which takes  even more time,( including going over to plot and breaking down at there own expense)
So ,in answer, my own personal opinion is everyone should know when and where , when its finished .
If we are all taking four days away from home, as usual, then we will all enjoy it, no matter whether we know where we are going in advance or not.
Smile........its not long now

I'm working on getting the second half of  the two fat ladies out of retirement for the 10th anniversary of the original

We won't be starting thurs Am but some time thurs Pm...then an overnight blat ..with the odd coffee stop..down to Nice for friday night..haven't decided on our route yet .and may even not have a def route when we set off.....but i'm sure we'll bump into trummies along the way

ajp wrote:
why the big secrecy over the route ?
The whole idea of the 10CR back in the day was to "do 2,000 miles across Europe in a weekend" the 10 countries bit came later, people were encouraged to plot and bash depending on circumstances and meet at the overnight halt(s) It was called  fun and adventure!

I think it would be sensible to at least give locations (rather than the just the countries) of the overnight halts - this would allow entrants to study the "general" route and work out weather they want to even do the event or not ,then think about prep etc - we all have very busy lives  and its always good to know well in advance what you are doing to allow preparation.
I don't see the point of cable tying your hands onto the steering wheel and flogging your self to death -its not competitive !

If some people struggle to make the start at the right time ...so what..? as long as they set off do 2,000 miles cover as many countries as they can have fun driving  and get to the knees up at the finish in one piece its better than not entering?

Surely a "official" can sign them on at some point in the first 24hrs?

Tell you what I will stick around at the start if you want and sign late comers in and pass on the paper work laters?! :) I don't mind !

Andy

I suspect a lot of the timings are being dictated by having to maintain suitable average speeds to comply with permits etc.

After the "issues" on the RBRR a few years ago, the club needs to be careful.

Cheers

Colin

thescrapman wrote:

Andy

I suspect a lot of the timings are being dictated by having to maintain suitable average speeds to comply with permits etc.

Cheers

Colin

I fully appreciate average speeds etc and the work that goes into organizing an event - I helped mark up maps for all entrants on the 05 event  - but the route is not  mandatory nor the overnight halts as explained as per para 11 of the regulations -I have no intention of sticking to the published route - as like the views echoed by James in this post I want to enjoy myself within the event ,which I will :)

My question was why not tell us now where the halt is in Italy and Germany - is doesn't matter if you have finalized the route between those points or not  as people, can and will ,plot their own routes depending on circumstances -IE breakdowns,traffic, weather etc or the fact they don't want to knacker them selves out or they might want to challenge themselves etc the point being it becomes a choice - I would hate to think newbies to the event- and you always need newbies to keep clubs going- would feel pressured into doing something beyond their enjoyment zone

thescrapman wrote:

Andy

Cheers

Colin

..........and it turns out, that the MSA observers were sat around the corner when the Huricane went off.......and fortunately didn`t see the `off`

ajp wrote:

Top half or bottom half ?

in Colins case the bottom half is not summit that wants  to be in the car when it's on the go
but just had a chat with Katie and she's quite keen to do it in her GT6 ...and Colin at present has had to give up work to be a full time carer for his dad so he might be able to come anyway

And Re AJP's point about the route not being published.i too am doing my own route...as per 03..it would be nice to see where and when roughly the entrants will be so we could swing by and do a drive by , if it's not too far off our route