Start the clock...48 weeks to go

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bobyspit wrote:

What I am trying to say and I don't want to be misunderstood is stick to the route or msa may not want to give the club a licence next time ! The route take a lot of work planning lets give the organisers a bit of respect and do our bit to keep this great event going .

Rob

It's more likley to cause problems if people who are sticking exactly to the suggested route, find themselves running behind schedule etc ..and end up driving like a spanner to catch up..that will attract attention fron jo public and poss the local police..and with club stickers on..that's when MSA may take a dim view ......but you are quite right about the bit about being near people for spares etc ..but if people are going in small groups of 2 or 3 cars ..they normally have enough bits/bodging skills to get them to the next meet up point...by cutting the route  

3020 wrote:

It's more likley to cause problems if people who are sticking exactly to the suggested route, find themselves running behind schedule etc ..and end up driving like a spanner to catch up..that will attract attention fron jo public and poss the local police..and with club stickers on..that's when MSA may take a dim view ......but you are quite right about the bit about being near people for spares etc ..but if people are going in small groups of 2 or 3 cars ..they normally have enough bits/bodging skills to get them to the next meet up point...by cutting the route  

No your right mate, I agree.

One little point that seems to have been overlooked here.

The MSA govern motorsports activities in Great Britain.

As far as I'm led to believe, the event starts in France and finishes in the Netherlands.

Could someone tell me what jurisdiction the MSA have over events outside the UK even if they are organised by a MSA affiliated club.

And another thing.

I'm aware that there are some who will be doing the 10CR and are critical of others who wish to go their own way, who, in turn, are unhappy that there seems to be some "criticism" of their intentions.

The 10CR, like all events, constantly evolve from lessons learned in past events, the wish to try something new, new organisers taking over or from restrictions outwith the organisers control such as location and availability of hotels.

We're not still doing the 1966 RBRR, are we?  Even that has evolved.

However, we must all take on board that some hanker for the raw, unevolved, undeveloped events such as the original 10CR, planned on the back of a fag packet, a wing and a prayer and just the determination to go out there and see if it can be done and still have fun driving Triumphs.

And that is the nub of the thing.

The whole point is that everyone out there on the 10CR and those doing their own thing will be out there, having fun driving their Triumphs.

So let's not all fall out over this or lose any sleep.

We all have the same aim, to enjoy our cars.

Let's get out there and have some fun. :)

Jim.

I would suspect as a UK based club everything has to be submitted to the MSA and also to the equivalent organisation in every country passed through.

May also be something buried deep in EU legislation governing this sort of thing.

Lots of legislation is now cross-border, and you also have to contend with local legislation. Does France have an equivalent of the Terrorism Act or whatever it is that prevents more than 2 people gathering in a single place? Unauthorised gatherings? Convoys? All reasons why you have to jump through numerous hoops, and get permits etc.

Is insurance valid if partaking in an "event" that is not officially sanctioned?

So many pit-falls.

Cheers

Colin

thescrapman wrote:
I would suspect as a UK based club everything has to be submitted to the MSA and also to the equivalent organisation in every country passed through.

May also be something buried deep in EU legislation governing this sort of thing.

Lots of legislation is now cross-border, and you also have to contend with local legislation. Does France have an equivalent of the Terrorism Act or whatever it is that prevents more than 2 people gathering in a single place? Unauthorised gatherings? Convoys? All reasons why you have to jump through numerous hoops, and get permits etc.

Is insurance valid if partaking in an "event" that is not officially sanctioned?

So many pit-falls.

Cheers

Colin

I`m sure Dale will concur that the MSA is affiliated to the FIA and therefore Europe
As you say there are that many regs that have to be adhered to when running a `mass` event rather than individuals going independant

Your standard classic car insurance policy covers you for social, domestic or pleasure.

No need for anything other than a green card for driving in Europe.

The MSA does not sanction events in Europe any more than the French equivalent sanctions events in the UK.  Neither has the jurisdiction.

I know that previously, the organisers of the 10CR contacted the equivalent of the MSA of every country the event traversed, informing them that the event was running.  Only a few responded as far as I'm aware and they weren't bothered.

And let's not go over the "three classic car owners meet up and decide to drive along a road in convoy which means that they must inform the police" nonsense all over again.

Do you really live in such a totalitarian state down south that you can't fart without the necessary paperwork?

If me and a couple of mates decide to drive our cars over an agreed route through France, well here's some groundbreaking news.

No one gives a flying f**k! :P

Life is for living.  

Jim.

michael_charlton wrote:

I`m sure Dale will concur that the MSA is affiliated to the FIA and therefore Europe
As you say there are that many regs that have to be adhered to when running a `mass` event rather than individuals going independant

True, but I doubt if Ellis had to ask for "permission" from the MSA for the next 10CR since it is not running in the UK.

The regulations from the event are the same as those for a MSA sanctioned event for a couple of reasons.

1.  They have been accepted by the MSA's legal experts as covering them in Law.  If they are good enough for the MSA ....

2.  The same regs protect Club Triumph, the organisers and the officials and allow the event to be run so that if anything goes wrong, the Club is seen to have taken reasonable steps to protect itself.

3.  The regulations for the event are pretty much the same throughtout Europe and used by all the motorsport authorising groups like the MSA as they, in turn, are affiliated with the FIA.

It is prudent to issue some rules and regulations if only to give guidance to those taking part and to protect the Club.

The regulations are, therefore, to protect the Club, inform the entrants and comply with the same regulations that would be applied to a local club in France, for instance.

Jim.

At the end of the day, over recent runs we have ALL enjoyed the organisation, the scenery,hotels etc etc
We have ALL displayed our emotions and gratitude on the fantastic 10Cr`s, on this forum in the past
Ellis has done sterling work not only in the last few runs but the current organisation as well.
So ,what has changed ?I just cannot understand why emotions are running so high for the 2013 event
Forget what regulations people think we should be adhering to, as that has all been handled by the organisers
As far as I can see we are going to have just as good a time as in previous runs ,so why not just accept the fact CT are putting on another good event? :)  

Jim...i dunno who's falling out with who..there are a lot of people doing the 10cr ..all fine and dandy
there are some people not doing the 10cr..myself included..i have my reasons for not doing it and pretty much everyone who knows me knows why.and the others not doing it have theirs

it just happens that we mayl be in europe on the same weekend as the 10cr ers . we asked if the route the 10cr would be taking was known as ,if it in any way crossed our path, we might just park up and watch them go by as we tuck into a bit of nosh
now if some of the 10cr ers have got their dander up because of that, then chill peeps

3020 wrote:
Jim...i dunno who's falling out with who..there are a lot of people doing the 10cr ..all fine and dandy
there are some people not doing the 10cr..myself included..i have my reasons for not doing it and pretty much everyone who knows me knows why.and the others not doing it have theirs

it just happens that we mayl be in europe on the same weekend as the 10cr ers . we asked if the route the 10cr would be taking was known as ,if it in any way crossed our path, we might just park up and watch them go by as we tuck into a bit of nosh
now if some of the 10cr ers have got their dander up because of that, then chill peeps

All the ways of running a 10CR are good - 2009 & dawn rising over Condum graveyard surrounded by Triumph cars after a few hours sleep is a great memory & sharing the long drive to Nurburg ring while fighting to stay awake is another - but as my co-driver will only come if there is a bed each night, next year's route works better for me :)

Howard wrote:

All the ways of running a 10CR are good - 2009 & dawn rising over Condum graveyard surrounded by Triumph cars after a few hours sleep is a great memory & sharing the long drive to Nurburg ring while fighting to stay awake is another - but as my co-driver will only come if there is a bed each night, next year's route works better for me :)

I thought there was only bed  stops Friday Sat and Sun? not Thursday night ?

Swiss vignette for 2013 at 33.00 euro, Austrian for 8.30 euro if you feel the need to start buying and have the stickers in the window ready to go... ;)

http://www.tolltickets.com/country/swiss/vignette.aspx?lang=en-GB

http://www.tolltickets.com/country/austria/vignette.aspx?lang=en-GB

Nah....too soon.....??

We managed to peel our Austrian one off the screen to put in the Renault Flatulence, but the Swiss one (which we didn't need fortunately, as the hire car already had one) broke into a million pieces when the Spitfire's screen went a couple of months ago.

So I'd go with Tim's and Colin's suggestions above.