Start the clock...48 weeks to go

thescrapman wrote:

The last day to sign up is usually about 2-3 days after it opens, as it fills up in 2-3 days.

There are usually a few last minute retirements so spaces do become available, sometimes.

Cheers

Colin

Ok Colin cheers.
So we have no need to rush then.  :)

Out of interest, what is the max number of vehicles on the 10cr?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the imminent release of the next club magazine and the chance to take part in what is going to be a fantastic event taking in 10 countries and some (American sounding) AWSOME roads!!

With less that than 12 months to go for the 10 CR I find myself weighing up do I do next years 10CR or not?

I am in the throws of a possible new job and new home with bigger bills WHAT DO I DO????

Rob

bobyspit wrote:
With the imminent release of the next club magazine and the chance to take part in what is going to be a fantastic event taking in 10 countries and some (American sounding) AWSOME roads!!

With less that than 12 months to go for the 10 CR I find myself weighing up do I do next years 10CR or not?

I am in the throws of a possible new job and new home with bigger bills WHAT DO I DO????

Rob

...you would be foolish to miss this one.
..but other than buying a caravan and a fishing rod you have a dilemma    

• 3 weeks later...

Having read the regs I doubt I'll be entering. :o

If I understand correctly signing on and start is in France on the Thursday morning which means taking Wednesday off to get over there and then stay overnight close by.

The finish is on the Sunday night sur le continent which means I need the Monday off to get home back up north UK before doing a 2 hour trip to work about 6.30am on the Tuesday.

That's too much time off work at a critical time for the company I work for plus I'd be knackered anyway when I got back :-/

What I might do though is find out where the overnight is on the Saturday and maybe get a flight out for the crack on the Saturday and return Sunday 8)

I'm in a real quandry now, its the same weekend as a proposed family holiday, do I send off the entry form in hope that the holiday decision which is dependent upon others in 2 weeks time changes the date, or do I take a chance that I can send it off in a couple of weeks time and go on the reserves list?

Like the start in Northern france, means I no longer have to retrace my steps from the start to Dover!

thescrapman wrote:
Martin

You could work Wednesday, drive down to stay close to Dover Weds evening, then catch a ferry over Thursday morning.

I suspect most people will be going over Thursday.

That doesn't help with Monday of course.

Cheers

Colin

A good thought Clive but ...

I work in Stoke. If I left work at 5PM and the M6 is kind I would be home at 7PM.

If the car is loaded with spares etc and ready to go I would still need to grab a shower, change, stuff something down my neck, load some stuff into the car and collect my co-driver so set off at 8PM?

According to google maps it's 316 miles 5 hours 38 mins with no stops!

Earliest time Dover 1.30AM. :-/(think)

I can't see me booking into a hotel then, to get up again in 4 or 5 hours for an early ferry.

Apart from being knackered I might as well try and get straight over the channel and wait around at the start for 4 hours until I can sign on.

I don't really see that being viable either with a long drive to the Med about to start.

The Thursday euro start worked for us last year -and personally think its a good idea as- rather than staying in a M25 travel lodge to make a North London morning start you might as well cross then stop in a Hotel on the continent nearer the roads you want to drive on if you see what I mean

I think the signing on time is a bit tight would have liked to have seen last orders around mid day to give people a chance if they have issues with cars or crossings etc

What could be a good idea is for convoys to set off from various points around the UK to make the early crossings -you could have four or five unofficial starts then! and get the "crack" going early on "Monte Carlo start style of old"  :)

Like I said in a previous post a page is missing from my CT mag all ready, but I am in a quandary if I will stick to the route and visit all the official stops as I was really wanting to re-trace the original 2003 route to Nice and have time to dip my toes and speedos! but as its says in the regs the route is not mandatory I have a feeling as ever Homer and I will be seen somewhere along the route to the finish!

One thing for sure I will be busting my bollocks to make sure UGP840R is on the "event"

If my co-driver leaves work at 5, picks the TR7 up and heads off to Stoke he could get to Stoke about 7.30. That's assuming he doesn't call at his house to get changed, say goodbye to the wife etc.

I could probably be ready with all my kit for the weekend and have had the TR7 packed and ready during the previous weekend.

So, on our way from Stoke at 7.45.

Google maps says 244 miles, 4 hours 7 mins - eta Dover 11,52 with no fuel stops etc, realistically 12.30.

Gaining an hour won't make the difference as far as I am concerned :-/

Working back from the start time though.

8AM signing on - local time. Say the location is within 30 minutes of Calais so the ferry needs to land at 7.30 local time, 6.30 UK time.

Ferry crossing is roughly 1hour 15 mins so ferry has to leave UK 05.15. The current P&O Ferry schedule is for 04.20 so you need to be there about 04.00 I reckon.

None of this changes my decision not to enter.

Raider wrote:
If my co-driver leaves work at 5, picks the TR7 up and heads off to Stoke he could get to Stoke about 7.30. That's assuming he doesn't call at his house to get changed, say goodbye to the wife etc.

I could probably be ready with all my kit for the weekend and have had the TR7 packed and ready during the previous weekend.

So, on our way from Stoke at 7.45.

Google maps says 244 miles, 4 hours 7 mins - eta Dover 11,52 with no fuel stops etc, realistically 12.30.

Gaining an hour won't make the difference as far as I am concerned :-/

Working back from the start time though.

8AM signing on - local time. Say the location is within 30 minutes of Calais so the ferry needs to land at 7.30 local time, 6.30 UK time.

Ferry crossing is roughly 1hour 15 mins so ferry has to leave UK 05.15. The current P&O Ferry schedule is for 04.20 so you need to be there about 04.00 I reckon.

None of this changes my decision not to enter.

OR....Hull/ Rotterdam  ferry 9 pm sail arrive 7.30 am............the price of ferry/cabin is better than fuel/ferry/hotel...??

michael_charlton wrote:

OR....Hull/ Rotterdam  ferry 9 pm sail arrive 7.30 am............the price of ferry/cabin is better than fuel/ferry/hotel...??

Quick quote off P&O ferries website (cant book exact dates yet, so times and dates were slightly out) for no frills basic 2 bunk cabin Hull-Rot comes in at approx 215 pound
Then approx 3hrs drive to Calais from Rotterdam.

uksnatcher wrote:

Quick quote off P&O ferries website (cant book exact dates yet, so times and dates were slightly out) for no frills basic 2 bunk cabin Hull-Rot comes in at approx 215 pound
Then approx 3hrs drive to Calais from Rotterdam.

We get a Club discount from an agent that gives a good reduction for Hull Rotterdam
For example for the Nachtrit the `best` list / web price was  £235.00 and we had a price of £185.00
Quotes are being obtained for the October ,Dover Calais run

Just in case any from the North who may want to calculate relating time and monetary:

Roughly 71 ltrs home to Dover and back @ £96.00 (@ 30 mpg)
Cheap Dover ticket                                @65.00
Cheap hotel                                          @60.00
.........is roughly.....................................£220.00
Plus fuel from Rotterdam

Versus Hull/Rotterdam..................about the same in cost, but the journey is not as stressful

Don`t get me wrong I am not advocating using Hull Rotterdam, just a comparison if anyone was contemplating it