Start the clock...48 weeks to go

michael_charlton wrote:

So ,in answer, my own personal opinion is everyone should know when and where , when its finished

That's fine — in previous years its been "wait until the drivers meeting" which is too late to enter.

michael_charlton wrote:

If we are all taking four days away from home, as usual, then we will all enjoy it, no matter whether we know where we are going in advance or not.

That's missing my point — it's not that straight forward at all — unless you're someone who gets a kick out of just driving for no reason.

Time and money is precious — I need to know I'm going to get a good value return on it.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3020 wrote:

And Re AJP's point about the route not being published.i too am doing my own route...as per 03..it would be nice to see where and when roughly the entrants will be so we could swing by and do a drive by , if it's not too far off our route

Thing is — if we're all doing our own thing to make it a good event — why are we paying an entry fee? What are we paying for?

It looks like I won't be submitting an entry this year due to a clash of holiday dates much to the disappointment of my brother (and co-driver) so we are considering whether to take the best bits of the 2011 and 2009 routes and combine them for a mini run on our own hopefully before the 10CR concentrating more on the french/swiss/italian/austrian bits - there are a few bits we missed in 2009 due to a breakdown and some bits in 2011 that we really liked.

jcarruthers wrote:

Thing is — if we're all doing our own thing to make it a good event — why are we paying an entry fee? What are we paying for?

That's just it James ..i'm not entering.....i stopped doing the 10cr because it went away from it's roots and got too much ...and that was why one of our convoy crashed ...As it's the 10th anniversary of the original..i am going over to celebrate that...It just happens i'm going over the same weekend..
I might ,independantly , book a room at Rolduc on  the sunday night and say hello...or i might not
If the organisers have the 10th anniversary in mind and are doing summit [route wise] then they haven't mentioned it at all ...a lack of respect for the event ...or just an oversight..who knows

ajp wrote:
I see so why the smoke an mirrors regarding where the suggested overnight halts are in Italy and Germany?- I don't get it?!

Oh I've no idea why the actual location of the overnight stop areas are not being published, best ask Ellis. (Who I think is away on a course or something so may not have got round to it yet).

I suspect (but have no evidence to back up my suspicions) that the club has to publish a route when it applies for permits. Same as the RBRR. It is a form filling excercise to satisfy bureaucrats.

Next year there is an option to stay at the Holiday Inn in Italy with everyone else, but it is only an option. It doesn't actually matter where that hotel is, all that is important is that it is with everyone else. If you don't intend to stay there, it isn't a problem. How you get there is up to you as well. You can follow the suggested route, or choose your own.
Last time people stayed in about 20 different hotels in Italy, took something away from the event in my view, removed some of the social element. Same in Germany. It is a social event, CT is "the club that likes to talk" after all.

Having not done the event in 2003, I don't know how it differed to the later ones. I have assumed it was a load of mates who said "lets drive to the south of France and back" and they did. They made up the route as they went along. They probably found lots of great roads and probably missed many others. They probably spent many hours slogging down motorways, and many hours driving on twisty country roads.

Later events were planned with the advantage of hindsight using the experiences of previous years. People knew where some of the nice roads are.

I don't think I have ever followed the "official" route in its entirety. 05 we got lost in the Alps, wasted 12 hours trying to get out. 07 we spent too long fixing other peoples cars and cut a chunk out. 09 we spent too long fixing other peoples cars, cut an enormous chunk out, and had an extra nights sleep and then an 11 hour slog on French motorways (never ever again!). 11 was the year we got closest to the book, but still chopped a few bits out. Didn't matter.

Cheers

Colin

if it's like getting RLO acceptance here then an exact route is not required just a pretty good idea of places visited..so ellis will prob not have the timings done yet anyway..and will be waiting for any no go's from abroad that he may have to alter the route for, so some excuse there
but yes Colin the 03 was more casual ..there was a suggested route ..and we tried to stick to it where we could...time/mechanical bits and petrol allowing
The only def bits were the hotel in Nice ...meeting up in menton on the sunday morning...the food stop in Italy...which me and big colin were first to cos we went off route and missed a huge pile up due to a crash  ..and then the ferry...which if memory serves the yellow peril was the only car to make  ..me and colin gave up chasing it at silly speed and caught the next one [or was that 05]
and not that many motorways

OK.... before this gets out of hand as to how I'm doing everything wrong, can we get one or two things straight.

The route isn't a secret as I've said many times, but I'm not about to publish something that isn't finalised. We are still working on some of the timings and want to get it to fit. Over the course of the next month or so this will happen and I'll advise suggested places for stops etc.

We're starting in France because it gives us more driving / rest time on the continent to fit things in.

Unfortunately, trying to make an event fit with what EVERYONE wants is pretty much impossible, but by listening to ALL the comments I get (rather than a loud few), I can make decisions that suit most.

If anyone has a problem, please contact me direct rather than stiring up a storm on here - I actually feel quite disappointed about some of the comments and who have posted them.

The event is so bad that all the places are usually  taken up in the first week!!!

Personally I can't wait for the run and quite enjoy the mystery aspect of "where are we going"

Keep your chin up Ellis :)

I'm sure most of us appreciate the time and effort you (and the team) put into this.

I thoroughly enjoyed the last two 10CR and am very much looking forward to the next one.

I would like to thank Ellis and the rest of the team for the hard work they put into organising it. If you don't like the way its organised there is nothing stopping any of us from getting together with our mates  & driving anywhere we like - we planned a "not the RBRR" trip up through Norway last year (which unfortunately fell through) - and maybe like the 10CR origins it could be the start of something good for the club.

Cheers

Howard

I don't see what the problem is.

Have a look round the web at all the companies offering expensive trips round the Alps or wherever in your own car and none of them will give a definitive route.

Maybe it's just commercial secrets or maybe they, heaven forbid, haven't finalised all the details yet either.

Part of the problem seems to lie with the RBRR model of entry forms coming out almost a year before the event.

With the RBRR, you pretty much know where your going.  With the 10CR, I always thought that the "mystery" was part of the attraction of the event.

However, from an organising point of view, putting out the entry forms early gives the organisers the opportunity to gauge how many people will be taking part, how many hotel rooms will be required, where the event can stop so that everyone has a bed for the night and tweeking the event to accommodate all these factors, particularly the timing.

Give Ellis a break and let him get on with it.  It's a thankless task that not many are capable of even if they think they know better.

Keep Calm and Suck Your Thumb!

Jim.

MWG445 wrote:
I don't see what the problem is.

Have a look round the web at all the companies offering expensive trips round the Alps or wherever in your own car and none of them will give a definitive route.

Maybe it's just commercial secrets or maybe they, heaven forbid, haven't finalised all the details yet either.

Part of the problem seems to lie with the RBRR model of entry forms coming out almost a year before the event.

With the RBRR, you pretty much know where your going.  With the 10CR, I always thought that the "mystery" was part of the attraction of the event.

However, from an organising point of view, putting out the entry forms early gives the organisers the opportunity to gauge how many people will be taking part, how many hotel rooms will be required, where the event can stop so that everyone has a bed for the night and tweeking the event to accommodate all these factors, particularly the timing.

Give Ellis a break and let him get on with it.  It's a thankless task that not many are capable of even if they think they know better.

Keep Calm and Suck Your Thumb!

Jim.

Correct Jim

The Italian hotel has been in negotiation since March, only concluding as of two weeks ago.
However they want CT funds before the end of November/December, so they can close off the room allocation
Also that gives them chance to prepare for our arrival eg food and drink
There`s no way that a hotel could take on 50 crews at the drop of a hat.

Enough said...now back to witty banter on how people are going to enjoy the 10CR

I've found Ellis' routes to be superb so far (2009 & 2011).  Timings can be challenging, but you just have to make your own judgements and alterations as you go.  We've been fairly close to the official route both times.  The trouble with Europe is that the best roads are rather a hike from the channel so there's inevitably some motorway work to get there and back in good time.  Perhaps we should make the start somewhere like Annecy or Monaco  :P

The event has grown to the point where it's very hard, if not impossible, to get everyone into the same hotels.  You just have to confer with your mates to make sure you get in the same one!

Before my time, but I think the first one had far fewer people and used campsites rather than hotels......... so we've gone soft - though there's nothing to stop you camping if you want to!

I seem to remember telling Martin and Andy P that they were quite mad when they were telling me about the 10CR years ago.....  :B  I's mad too now then  :)

Nick

Looks like Team "DollyRoo"  will be back for a 3rd run.  Talked to Ash yesterday and he saw Ellis at the meeting on Monday.  Ash say's were IN!  

Ellis, please take note some of us are thankful for what you do and all the time, work and effort you put into this.  

I am sure some of us do this just to drive our cars, be with some good people and have fun.  

Can't wait to see the entry list, order and who's first!   (hint-hint)   I am sure in a few day's the list will come out.  I do hope all that sent a entry get in.  Would be great to see my newest team mate, Steve, on the list.  (and his car back)  Early Congrats to all who get in!

As said above, some of us must enjoy this as the entry list fills quick.  

My mag has not arrived yet and all I want cleared up is what time is the start in france?  

This thread started as, "Start The Clock"  Well?  Start The Clock, please.

"Ellis, please take note some of us are thankful for what you do and all the time, work and effort you put into this"

Dint think any one was having a go at Ellis?

I was offering to help if people couldn't make the early euro start as I don't intend on staying in Italy

All other comments are peoples personal opinion which are fine to air on  their Club forum

The fact that the entry will be full by now speaks for its self

Goody wrote:
Looks like Team "DollyRoo"  will be back for a 3rd run.  Talked to Ash yesterday and he saw Ellis at the meeting on Monday.  Ash say's were IN!  

This thread started as, "Start The Clock"  Well?  Start The Clock, please.

OK.... tick tock tick tock......40 weeks ,6 days, 16 hours to go....tick tock tick

Don't confuse the  asking of questions with moaning groaning...a common problem of a certain populus
ellis has pretty much answered the question so far .. but i'm sure there will be several people asking other questions ..or would you rather they wandered off to another place where people treated their questions with a bit of respect