GT6 Sump removal.

Spider

Is it possible to remove the sump from a GT6 without removing the engine like it says in my Haynes manual. Reason for removal, stripped thread in the front alloy sealing block, that's why I have a large oil leak, the bolt dropped out.
How do so called engineers who rebuild engines manage to strip threads? The engine in mine had been rebuilt by an "engineer" before I bought it. I have found two stripped threads so far, one in the front plate/timing cover (short screw) and now one in the front sealing block. I know the sealing block is aluminium and care must be taken not to overtighten the bolts but that is what torque wrenches are for. I have not stripped or cross threaded a nut or bolt since I was about 14 years of age,(35yrs ago) and I would not dare to call myself an engineer.

well you're obviously more of an 'engineer' than the other guy. ;)

but yes you can remove the sump in situ,lift the engine as much as required after undoing the front mounts and it should come out,don't forget to remove the dipstick and the oil pickup may require some orientation of the sump to get round it.i've done it this way before with a 2.5 in a spit chassis which had bulges to accomodate the extra throw of the front conrods.

Thanks for the info guys.
I have replaced bolt and put threadlock on it for now in the hope that it will last until I have thrashed it up the hill at Prescott.
I will take the sump off later just to see what other nightmares the "engineer" who rebuilt the engine has left for someone else to sort out. l will helicoil.the sealing block and fit studs, also weld up stripped thread in the front plate and recut a new thread
Many thank's
Spider.

esxefi wrote:
tssc are in the process of getting the sealing block made in steel,don't know if they are ready yet but may well be worth getting one if you are taking the sump off anyway.fit and forget. :)

Yes I have seen their catalogue and it's in their now in steel. Can't remember if it's for the GT6 specifically or are they all the same?

esxefi wrote:
tssc are in the process of getting the sealing block made in steel,don't know if they are ready yet but may well be worth getting one if you are taking the sump off anyway.fit and forget. :)

Pretty sure this is also available elsewhere - I must go have a look. Stoopid bit of design, wasn't it?
Spider - you're going to lay a trail of oil right up Prescott Hill? Right-o, I'll be going ahead of you then.  :)

esxefi wrote:

will almost certainly be cheaper to helicoil the ally one you already have - lighter too!

TSSC block is £30 plus couple quid P&P for members (it weighs 150g). Cheaper than the other ones available I am sure, as I think they were overseas, but much more expensive than a helicoil.

Fit and forget? undoubtably.

I am lucky enough to have a few spare alloy ones in the cupboard so will stick with them for a while.

I am also lucky enough to know that I am the only one to have taken the engines in all but one of my cars apart, so I know no-one has butchered the block.

Cheers

Colin

smithy wrote:

Spider - you're going to lay a trail of oil right up Prescott Hill? Right-o, I'll be going ahead of you then.  :)

Smithy the oil will have all drained out by then! Oh just make sure you don't leave a trail of wax and polish when you go up the hill at Prescott.  ;)

I think the replacing of the bolt covered in loctite threadlock has stemmed the flow of oil for now. I will of course be checking it frequently between now and Prescott as the crank pulley chucks oil over the front offside disc, side engine covers not fitted. I will have to change pads as they are likely to be the cause of the brakes pulling to the nearside because of oil contamination.  :(

the main reason for the stripped threads is by fitting  too long  setscrews, these bottom out and a light nip pulls the threads,
many repair with M8 or up to next unf .    

this applies to the timing cover and the sump screws,

If you do take the sump off on car ,  should you have difficulty getting a sump to clear the suction tube , you can get to the 3 oil pump bolts through the gap and unscrew to let the pump drop into the sump,

all depends on pump / tube design and splash gauze aperture .

Pete

• 2 months later...

well I've tried and failed to get the sump off mine with the engine lifted as far as I am comfortable lifting it and it still won't clear the bellhousing.
the chassis crossmember is in the way, as is the steering rack.

it's the chassis crossmember and bellhousing that are the problems though.
I am SERIOUSLY annoyed!

How far can you lift the engine without causing problems?

5458 wrote:
well I've tried and failed to get the sump off mine with the engine lifted as far as I am comfortable lifting it and it still won't clear the bellhousing.
the chassis crossmember is in the way, as is the steering rack.

it's the chassis crossmember and bellhousing that are the problems though.
I am SERIOUSLY annoyed!

How far can you lift the engine without causing problems?

It will come out provided you remove the lower bellhousing bolts,  also a bit of leverage with a bar or lump of timber.

Perservere.

And you can jack the engine till it contacts the bulkhead.

I do'nt think anybody said it was easy.