Alternative seats other than MX5

Rubce

Hi All

I have only joined this Forum today :) and this is my first post. I have been busy looking through the archive for details of alternative seats and MX5 keeps coming up. Apart from them are there any other types that people have successfully fitted to a GT6?

The front seats in our GT6 have almost no foam left in them. :'( The leather covers are fine but the cost of new foams is prohibitive at this moment in time.

Thanks

Bruce

Ive looked at this alot and after checking sizes etc the best thing to do is fix the originals. Reasons are simple as what ever you fit might not fit anyone else. Im 6'5 and my girlfriend is 5'3. The new seats will fit me but then not her. For instance MX-5 seats are great if your 5'8 or below but you will hit your head if your taller!!!! I was looking at Cobra Roadster seats. Problem they wont go close enough and dont recline? The Corbeau sportsman classic seats, Great for me and recline however wont fit the Mrs. The other problem is when you come to sell.......Not every buyer will fit. You may have a mint car but the new owner might not like them and so will knock you down. At least with standards they do exactly what they are suppose to for all sizes and are very comfy when reconditioned properly. The choice however is yours. Good Luck, Chris.

Hi Guys

Thanks for your replies :). A set of foam for two seats is approx £200 which I simply don't have spare at the moment :(. A pair of cloth MX5 seats is £60 so you see where I am coming from. Leather ones are silly prices of £400 as people are advertising them as beign suitable for TR6, GT6 and Spits.

I intend keeping the originals and refoaming at some point in the future. I can always swap them back at that time.

Regards

Bruce

2806 wrote:
Hi Guys

Thanks for your replies :). A set of foam for two seats is approx £200 which I simply don't have spare at the moment :(. A pair of cloth MX5 seats is £60 so you see where I am coming from. Leather ones are silly prices of £400 as people are advertising them as beign suitable for TR6, GT6 and Spits.

I intend keeping the originals and refoaming at some point in the future. I can always swap them back at that time.

Regards

Bruce

hi bruce i fitted new foams to my seats and spent mo where near £200 thats the price moss sell them for. i got mine from newton comercial. they are based in wales. they are good quality.£100 for both seats pete

572 wrote:

hi bruce i fitted new foams to my seats and spent mo where near £200 thats the price moss sell them for. i got mine from newton comercial. they are based in wales. they are good quality.£100 for both seats pete

Newton Commercial are about as far from Wales as you can get.. :-)

They are up by Sizewell on the Suffolk coast!

You could also try Park LAn Classics I think.

It is the Newton ones that most traders sell. Just pick teh right trader to get the best price.

Cheers

Colin

1704 wrote:
Not as cheap as Newton but have a look anyway.

http://www.parklaneclassics.co.uk/index.htm 8)

"£126 for all 4 or £35 each" Doesn't sound too bad...

You'll probably need some new "Pirelli webbing" too, that's pretty cheap & some cable ties to refit the covers.

CharlieB wrote:

"£126 for all 4 or £35 each" Doesn't sound too bad...

You'll probably need some new "Pirelli webbing" too, that's pretty cheap & some cable ties to refit the covers.

You can do what I did and buy that webbing off the roll from an upholstry store. Then all you need to do is cut it to length and use the old fastenings on each end. If I remember correctly the rimmers webbing kit is something ridiculous like £70 - I did mine for about a tenner!  :)

willcolumbine wrote:
You can do what I did and buy that webbing off the roll from an upholstry store. Then all you need to do is cut it to length and use the old fastenings on each end. If I remember correctly the rimmers webbing kit is something ridiculous like £70 - I did mine for about a tenner!  :)

Me too, got mine from here:
http://www.classiccar-trim.com/phdi/p1.nsf/supppages/eastkent?opendocument&part=11

Archived