What battery make is favoured?

Tim Bancroft

Just got to go and buy a battery for the GT6, anyone have any thoughts on a good brand.

I have used Halford HB072s for the last couple of times, prices seem expensive now which I suppose is to be expected. However if anyone knows of a better brand, let me know.

I have just looked at the Exide website, all well and good, the only batteries I could find look a bit modern!

I have some Partco specials in a couple of teh cars, seem fine. They are Vectra sized ones.

I have an Italian battery in the Spitfire, courtesy of a nice Italian man and his garage on the last 10CR. Not sure what that normally fits, but it worked. Some Fiat I suspect.

The optima Leon mentioned I have also heard great things about. But be prepared to seel your soul to the Devil.. :-)

Cheers

Colin

p.s. I was tipped off that if you can blag a Halfords trade card (which you should be able to do off the back of CT very easily) the batteries are less than half price.

thescrapman wrote:
I have an Italian battery in the Spitfire, courtesy of a nice Italian man and his garage on the last 10CR. Not sure what that normally fits, but it worked. Some Fiat I suspect.

And a very nice battery it is too - and it was suprisingly cheap considering we were effectively stuck in the middle of nowhere.  I suspect we would have been prepared to pay an awfull lot more if we'd had to.

They all seem pretty good these days, just make a call based on looks / price. I like the ones with a condition indicator thingy on the battery.

I had to jump start some dopey wench's car today.  After she'd started her car and before I could get out of mine she'd disconnected the leads from her battery and accidentally touched them together.....Sparky....!!!!

thescrapman wrote:

I was tipped off that if you can blag a Halfords trade card (which you should be able to do off the back of CT very easily) the batteries are less than half price.

Tis true, I bought one with a mates trade card £75 battery was about £30 if I remember right.

Alex

I doubt you get Century Batteries in the UK ... but they're everywhere here. My car had a fairly old looking one when I bought it 3 years ago. Still operating fine.

When I bought a replacement for the GT6 in the UK I just went for the most CCAs possible ... that would still fit under the bonnet. Made a huge difference to starting on cold mornings.

Richard_B wrote:

Fit a hi-torque starter, the difference is phenomenal!  ??)

Yes, I'll get around to it eventually ... I'm not paying to ship one over from the UK though.

Can you remind me what sort I'd need? I remember reading the Teglerizer or whatever it's called, but that was for a GT6 I thought. I seem to recall that a certain model of Holden Jackaroo (Isuzu Trooper) should have the right type to fit.

I've used the Canley Classics adapter kit + a Nippon-Denso starter from a Toyota 1600,  Corolla, Carina. This has electric motor mounting bolts 2.95'' apart (to the end-plate, not the adapter which bolts to the back-plate).

The Rover 825, 827 with the Honda V6 has a larger electric motor (which Canleys does not currently do on exchange). This has electric motor mounting bolts 3.25'' apart (to the end-plate, not the adapter which bolts to the back-plate).

There is supposed to be one version that will bolt straight on after machining. What ever you get make sure it's a 9-tooth pinion!

Photo borrowed from the Canleys site showing adapter plate and modified (exchange) end-plate.

This may interest you, Halfords standard batteries did very well:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/210431/car_batteries.html

For the starter its the Isuzu Trooper 2.6 diesel & you have to modify the Spitfire adapter plate slightly. Edit: that's for the 4 cylinder you need the oposite hand for the 6 cylinder, not sure what car that's off.

Hi Tim, I've had a Bosch silver 4PN (545171042) fitted for a few years on my mk1 GT6 and I've been very pleased with it, fit's in the tray well and I've never had to charge it which has surprised me as most of it's journeys are fairly short and it can sit for a few weeks at a time unused. It always starts with the original starter motor without any fuss as well.
I always thought the old battery a Halfords one looked a little low rent so the look of the Bosch one is much more purposeful.
Floyd.

Sorry for the thread interruption TB.

Thanks for the info. Richard.

I'm not going for anything with the word exchange involved - posting lumps of metal backwards and forwards doesn't really work from here.

Richard_B wrote:
Canley Classics adapter kit + a Nippon-Denso starter from a Toyota 1600,  Corolla, Carina. This has electric motor mounting bolts 2.95'' apart (to the end-plate, not the adapter which bolts to the back-plate).

There is supposed to be one version that will bolt straight on after machining. What ever you get make sure it's a 9-tooth pinion!

Shame the Trooper is a 4 pot job - plenty of those should be around.

But then the Toyota Nippon-Denso shouldn't be hard to find, either.

I've got an Odyssey dry cell in the Neon.  It was recommended by the Neon autocrossers who always try to save weight, & found that they were excellent for daily use.

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/

I'm getting one for the GT6 when the present one dies because it contains no battery acid to attack the floor of the battery tray.  30+ years of attending to that area will be done.

Archived