10CR 2017: Which car and what preparations?

Beans

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Who knows,
Possibly and probably the Spitfire.
In my mind the 10CR should be done in a convertible which rules out the Renown. Not only that but I just dropped her off at the body shop to get rid of a bit of tinworm and a respray... stripping the RBRR stickers off this year the paint thought it be sympathetic and stayed with the vinyl.

D

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, team 58 Holzer/Philipp here! We were in a white 13/60 estate on the 10CR 2015 and will be using a 68 MK3 Spitfire for the next event. I have owned the car for about 17 years and it is quite reliable. Still I am giving it a good going-over for the 10CR.
So far I have done the following:
-     Had the seats rebuilt
-     Replaced the clutch assembly
-     Replaced the original bell-housing with an alloy one
-     Cleaned the OD filters (much needed…)
-     Replaced the gearbox mounting
-     Replaced the leaking clutch slave
Currently working on:
-     Rebuilding the rear axle (new driveshafts, ujs, bearings, etc.)
-     Replacing the original wheel studs with Landrover ones
Further tasks:
-     Replace the differential
-     Improve the lighting
-     Change all fluids
-     New tires
-     Replace twin sports exhaust with a single box?
-     Set of Konis for the rear?

Hi,

It'll be my Spitfire 1500.

Jobs to do:
Fuel Pump
Rear Spring
New Steering wheel
Sound deadening boards
Other comfort bits
Plus whatever I find in next few months

Shakedown to include:
HCR
A few trips to Swindon from Northampton
Maybe a few afternoons in the Cotswolds
Possibly Le Mans

See you all in September

Ilka/Christian, you mention one job needed before the 10CR as improving the lighting. If you have standard headlights a very effective upgrade would be Cibie/Valeo headlight units with Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited or similar uprated H4 bulbs. If you haven't already done so I also recommend wiring in relays for high and low beams. Use heavy duty 17A cable direct from battery to relays, through a fuse, and from the relays to the lights. This will have two benefits, it will avoid passing a relatively high current through the column lighting switch and the reduced voltage drop from use of heavier gauge wiring will give more power at the lights for better illumination.  

I burnt out the lighting switch on my 4A twice (both times on an RBRR) before I did this very worthwhile mod.

Tim

Tim

Thank you for your suggestions! The car was upgraded to relays a few years ago and, like you say, that is a very good modification. It is still on a set of old Lucas headlight units (standard bulbs) and they have become a bit dim. I have an unused set of Hella headlights in the lock-up that I plan to fit, together with Nightbreaker bulbs. Hopefully that will chase the glow-worm out of my headlights!

Christian

• 4 months later...

TR6 status update: EFI kit now installed, with Jenvey throttle bodies, including adjustable length trumpets.  Brake fluid changed (AP 600), and Safety Devices roll over bar fitted.  

Now to put it through its paces, for testing over the coming months.

Cheers
Tom

While tarting up the engine bay a bit, I found a fairly major coolant leak from the water-pump (scared)
But after driving the car for some 300 kilometres today it looks like it has stopped leaking, knock on wood ...

A 90 mile run tomorrow and then the Border Raiders in August. I hope all is well with the car as I expect it to be (pray)

I am thinking about a new radio mp3player to replace the 1980 radio cassette which just about picks up Radio 2 but needs manual retuning every few miles

Hello all, team 58 Holzer/Philipp in 68 MK3 Spitfire here…

Some more tasks completed:
-     Replaced the differential
-     Improved the lighting with new Hellas and OSRAM Nightbreaker bulbs
-    Replaced twin sports exhaust with a single box (less noisy)
-     Replaced the front screen

Things to do:
-     Change the cooling hoses and replace cooling fluid
-     Engine oil change
-     Fit cigarette lighter for SAT Nav and mobile phone charging
-     Maybe new tires

• 2 weeks later...

Gave the TR3 a quick test drive to Prague and back last week - 2648 miles door to door - should do the trick I reckon . The only thing that fell off was a fog lamp when we took off over a level crossing in the Czech Republic (might have been the Red Bull I put in the tank to counteract half a tank of cruddy stuff I put in by mistake!).  So hopefully nothing else will fall off on the 10CR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5tTWRrJdrI

Quoted from timbancroft61

Here, here.

Nice one, Mr Don

I am going to miss Mr R on the 10CR.

I have the distinct feeling that an awful lot of us will periodically suffer the 'trip-up' syndrome, particularly on the 10CR, whereby things will all seem to be going nicely when we suddenly trip ourselves up and have a 'Martin memory moment'. The only good thing is that I expect most of us will have way too many happy memories to allow ourselves to get down about things for too long.

There in spirit if not in body eh mate?