Nick Jones

I don't know what the official mileage is but Car 20 recorded 2,659 mi overall Plough to Plough plus 320 mi to and from start/finish...... Blimey!!

Overall mpg 35.2.  Best tank 41.1 (downhill with a tail wind presumably) worst tank 29.3 mpg (it involved the Nurburgring and 20km at  mostly full throttle over 4000rpm.....).  Stig Stewarts 'Ring time was a little under 13mins..... dunno if that is fast or slow but it felt flippin' fast from the passenger seat  :o and the brake discs went blue :o  We saw 102mph (sat nav) on final straight.

2 l of oil added and now on minimum again so about 3l used.  No water needed.

Slight tweak given to one front wheel bearing at Beziers, no other attention needed.  Tough things these old Triumphs  :)

Nick

Car 3 did 2,930 miles, Plough to Plough, plus 130 home and back. How did we do so many more than a lot of others? Speedo is very accurate (speedo says 70, satnav says 69). I thought our Italy to Nurburgring route was very long, but 300 miles longer?

Don't know the MPG as I can't bring myself to total up all the petrol receipts.

2600, or thereabouts. We didn't go into Spain because the engine was so sick and instead used French toll roads. Which may not have been a great idea as we had to go all the way up that rather long winding hill into Andorra. Took ages, we didn't get above 15mph and used 2lt of water doing it. We did make all of the control stops though. A lot of people didn't go to the Andorra one?

Team shed 2346 miles plough to plough -my speedo reads about 10% low we stuck to the route aprt from cutting to the monte blanc tunnel after st bernard pass thingy (and did andorra including the motor museum)
MPG roughly worked out at 27mpg only oil used was what leaked out from the oil temp sensor housing  and all over the front brakes on the way to Condom

14 cans of redbull, 200 fags, half a packet of pro plus and three burgers were the other main consumtions !

sparky_spit wrote:

Don't know the MPG as I can't bring myself to total up all the petrol receipts.

I've only added up the literage - I've left the cost aspect strictly alone  - I really don't want to know!  We just wrote the literage and mileage in the road book every time we filled up.

Just because your speedo reads the the right speeds, doesn't mean the odometer is correct and in the same way, a correct reading odometer doesn't necessarily mean the speed reading is correct

Cheers

Nick

Nick_Jones wrote:

Just because your speedo reads the the right speeds, doesn't mean the odometer is correct and in the same way, a correct reading odometer doesn't necessarily mean the speed reading is correct

Cheers

Nick

Good point, I didn't think of that. I did add up the cost and amount tonight - £356 worth of petrol - and it gave roughly 38mpg based on 2,930 miles. Obviously a bit less if the mileage was actually nearer 2,600.

Total mileage 2790 from mine to co-driver etc. Mpg worked out to 23.29!... Went to the great 10CR traffic jam which accounted for about 1.5 lt of water as the temp gauge went off the scale and dumped it on the pristine forecourt... I wish I was stuck in the heat now rather than today's crap weather!

My Sat Nav recorded a total of 2950 miles, approx 1000 of which was in the hire car, so the Spit had done about 1950 before she expired near Grenoble which probably reflected our detour through the Ardeche to Montelimar on our way to Grenoble, and the run to Perpignan from the Andorra border on the way to Beziers

The interesting statistic on the Sat Nav was the Max Speed of 175kms - I know we didn't do this in the Spit, or the hire car, so it must have been the manic lady taxi driver that drove us to the hire car depot along the autoroute!

MPG in the Spit was consistently 38 to 40, and not much more in the hire car! (Peugeot Partner Diesel)

bobyspit wrote:
In the Spit going to London I was getting 40mpg and in the Clio Triumph I got 65mpg. Superb

You ruined my fuel economy figures chasing James and Craig to the Swiss border :P

You and James are my new driving heros 8)

Warp 9 in the dark down an Alp.............................................................Superb driving by both of you ;D ;D ;D

Good to see it home so quickly Rob :)

I'll try to sort out that video for you and James this weekend, It's almost 100mb :o and it does not look as fast as it felt at the time.
I think Gaz got the camera rolling after you had both backed off a bit, still I reckon those border guards must have heard us comming down the hill from some way off ;D

jcarruthers wrote:
Don't underestimate the saloon :) they handle astoundingly well - far more sure footed than the small chassis cars

I was already starting to like/respect the big saloons dynamic abilities but after seeing at first hand just what they are capable of I think when I get the GT6 how I want it I may be looking for a big saloon.

(clap)(clap)(clap)Way to go James(clap)(clap)(clap)

Archived