What have you done recently or are planning to do soon to your Triumph?

Tim Bancroft

Well if youre feeling rich then these (the part number must coincide exactly) from GKN for Land Rover Freelanders are at the pinacle of UJs. Otherwise the standard offering from the same company have a good reputation. Hopefully nobody is doing fakes😨

image.png.18f3d2c3acc6403b7c65012097dc8434.png

• Thanks 1

On 20/04/2023 at 13:04, yorkshire_spam said:

Crawling around under the car last night the first signs that all is not well emerge -

• The rear gearbox mount looks like it's taken some hammer since I re-installed the engine and gearbox early last year.
  • As I undid the exhaust bracket (UKC3409) the top corner of the bracket has broken off completely
  • The underside of the box is covered in ATF even though I renewed the gaskets and seals before re-fitting the box.

🫣

• Like 1

Sad day today, my TR6 left with its new owner. This frees up some funds for the 2000 Estate however, James Godfrey-Dunne is sorting out a 2.5 engine for me, I will be fuelling via Lucas PI, I received a new 123 Tune+ dizzy for it this week, I may fit that to the current 2000 lump whilst awaiting the new motor.

In my impatience to kick the conversion off, I fitted a Mk1 PI Formula steering wheel to the Estate today, it's a fair bit lighter than the standard wheel, perhaps a performance increment already!

With the TR6 leaving, that left a space in my garage, the PI just fits, I need to find a home for some stuff in front of it to improve access but at least it gets under cover at last.

Formula wheel fitted.jpg

And then there were three.jpg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Tim Bancroft said:

The Estate looks good. Be interesting to see how it goes with the Pi engine.

The engine is with machinist now, expect it will be a good few weeks. Going to send MU away for refurb this week & speak with Martin Giles about having TB's reconditioned.

No progress on cars really, the parts pile is growing however:

2000 Mk1 Estate: Reconditioned 150BHP throttle bodies with roller spindle bearings, diaphragm PRV & reconditioned MU delivered by Martin Giles on Friday, 6-3-1 exhaust manifold & semi-sports exhaust system ordered from Chris Witor, new Camshaft being sourced from CW too. New rocker shaft, bushed rockers & solid spacer kit received, that completes the parts I need to convert the car once the engine is ready, will need a some adaptors/fittings to sort the feeling out at the tank end but otherwise I should be ok. Whilst the engine is out I will also be converting to PAS, all parts for the conversion are here, just hope the rack I have obtained works.

2.5P: intermittent OD issues decided to be become much more "mittent" today, I did a 360mile trip down to see Lloyd Reed in Cardiff and the OD started dropping in/out after the first 150 miles or so, I can't delay it any longer, time to fit the recon 'box & OD I have ready.

TR6: went to its new home last week, I'm down to 3 Triumphs now

Edited by iani

12 minutes ago, iani said:

No progress on cars really, the parts pile is going however:

2000 Mk1 Estate: Reconditioned 150BHP throttle bodies with roller spindle bearings, 

Out of interest were there different throttle bodies for the 150bhp and 125bhp versions?

On 21/04/2023 at 13:56, Dannyb said:

Just checked the drive shaft UJ's after noticing a ticking sound from the back.

Small amount of play, last changed about 8 years ago.

Can anyone recommend the best UJ's. 

Danny

Both UJ's now changed with heavy duty GKN's. I did need to add a thicker C clip one side of both flanges. Which I had to do last time I changed them. The ones I removed were also GKN.

Hope to test drive it tomorrow if weather permits. 

Danny

• Like 1

1 hour ago, glang said:

Out of interest were there different throttle bodies for the 150bhp and 125bhp versions?

Yes, the later TB's have twin balance pipes, the earlier a single pipe, the linkage arrangements are different too.

30 minutes ago, glang said:

Thanks but I suppose from what youve said its not the throttle bodies themselves that limit the bhp?

Camshaft & Metering Units are different, that's where most of the change is

• Thanks 1

Awaiting return of the Saloon's short engine. so checked over the rocker gear and painted the water pump and housing.

Tomorrow, I will be over at the barn where the car is stored and getting the engine bay ready for the engine and gearbox to be popped back in.

Bought a new leaf spring for the GT6, so will fit that in a week or two.

• Like 2

On 20/04/2023 at 09:17, Dannyb said:

I fitted 1144 pads. I didn't think it would make a lot of difference over standard pads. This is the best they have ever been in the 20 years I've owned the car.

Danny

I had a great impression about the Mintex 1144 (Scirocco GT 79). Had to warm a little but then, very much grip and enduring (when you know VW brakes from that times... great deal ! ). On the other hand, pads vanishing relatively fast (compared to genuine).

Currently trying, emphasis on trying, to strip down some spare 1300fwd front drive shafts/cv/hub assemblies.

I want to rebuild them and have them ready to go for when or if they are needed.

They are not attached to the vehicle either. 

Now can anyone help with ways to remove the disc and hub? 

I don't have a puller, yet anyway, and have tried the bolts through the rear of the carried to "push" the disc etc off the CV. With no luck and I don't want to risk damaging the discs. 

And secondly does anyone have the measurements of the triumph 1300fwd CV joints. Looking for:

I have found a seller which states 1300fwd. But I have nothing to compare and check this against until I get mine out, which at this rate may never happen! 

Image attached to see if it is correct. 

Thanks for any help anyone can give !! 

Screenshot_20230508-224117~2.png

Diff removed from CVB6H, to investigate a broken LSD and noise. After a strip down of the diff & LSD, it was clear to see a broken clutch pack kit.  One was broken into several pieces, the other was fractured.  I had already purchased a new clutch pack kit in advance, so that was OK.  The debris from the LSD, had damaged the small front pinion bearing, to the extent it had broken through the case hardening, creating a noisy bearing.  With that all changed, and new output seals, gasket, fresh Millers Motorsport 75w 90NT competition transmission oil, & Red Line LSD additive, it was time to road test. It revealed all OK, so CVB6H has now returned to the road. The LSD unit was brand new back in 2006, and has never had a new clutch pack kit, so has done exceptionally well, all things considered. A drive down to get the car repaired, with no LSD, reminded why I run an LSD !

LSD1.jpg

LSD2.jpg

Edited by TRTOM2498
  • Like 2