• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's gone a bit quiet on here lately hasn't it? Any more details yet? Is the start at a pub? Can we pre-book food like last year or just make our own arrangements at the start like previous years? I know it's still six weeks away but that'll go pretty quickly.

TR7Nutter wrote:
Latest entry list - will be e-mailing out some more details later in the week.

Has this happened yet? If it has then I may have written down the wrong email address on the form as I haven't received mine yet.

Hi Yogi - I've heard nothing more than you but I'm sure it's all in hand.  I wasn't at the last comps meeting due to a prior commitment but I'm pretty sure, from what I heard at the previous one, that more information will be out soon.

I'm really looking forward to it and, as in 2012, I'm just hoping to have a gentle cruise round.  All I need to do is stay awake to prevent Mark putting the hammer down when I'm asleep  ;)  On that last one it was so cold in the passenger seat at about 3am I got inside my sleeping bag and was quite cosy.  When I woke up at 6am we had done enough extra counties to actually win it. God knows where Mark had taken us...

sparky_spit wrote:

I'm really looking forward to it and, as in 2012, I'm just hoping to have a gentle cruise round.  All I need to do is stay awake to prevent Mark putting the hammer down when I'm asleep  ;)  On that last one it was so cold in the passenger seat at about 3am I got inside my sleeping bag and was quite cosy.  When I woke up at 6am we had done enough extra counties to actually win it. God knows where Mark had taken us...

You can hope Mike you can hope. But even if you stay awake you still will have no idea where I am taking you. ;)

4352 wrote:

You can hope Mike you can hope. But even if you stay awake you still will have no idea where I am taking you. ;)

Not true!  I can read signposts and county border signs in proper towns and stuff.  It's when we are out in the arse-end of nowhere on a night-time 12 car that I get lost.

Arse end of nowhere...... I think that's where we were on a Woolbridge 12 car last week.  It gets bloody dark in the Dorset wildlands and the locals turn the signs around (that's what my navigator was claiming anyway!).  And damn there are some BIG holes in the roads, more like shell craters than potholes.  Poor old soot monster got beached at one point, only struggling free with some gravel rash on her belly - and thats got quite a bit of ground clearance.  Had I been in either Triumph we'd have been high and dry.

Nick

The Jan 12-car we did up near Stansted Airport resulted in a particularly high number of bent rims and punctures amongst the competitors.

There were pot holes of a size I had never thought possible. Mostly under 6 inches of water... :-(

Anyway Mike, you don't need to worry about navigating, now you have an Expert in the car!

thescrapman wrote:

Anyway Mike, you don't need to worry about navigating, now you have an Expert in the car!

Not yet Colin its 3 wins to move up to expert and I only have 2 so still a novice. I will have to make dam sure I don't win anymore CMC 12 cars.

And Mike we never get lost just temporally misplaced.

Mark

Nick_Jones wrote:
Arse end of nowhere...... I think that's where we were on a Woolbridge 12 car last week.  It gets bloody dark in the Dorset wildlands and the locals turn the signs around (that's what my navigator was claiming anyway!).  And damn there are some BIG holes in the roads, more like shell craters than potholes.  Poor old soot monster got beached at one point, only struggling free with some gravel rash on her belly - and thats got quite a bit of ground clearance.  Had I been in either Triumph we'd have been high and dry.

Nick

Nick - when I first read this I thought you had been in Woodbridge (which is in Suffolk) and was thinking you must have really got lost!  Sorry.... temporarily misplaced  ;).

Hah  ;D

Woodbridge would have been lost indeed. I went there once aand it was a bloody long way from here!  Woolbridge = Woolbridge Motor Club.  We play mostly in Dorset with occasional raids into Somerset and east Devon.

We can relate to the "temporally misplaced part" - my new navigator (no 1 son, in first season) hasn't got round to thinking about timing yet, so we arrive when we arrive and any resemblance to the organisers timings is purely accidental.  Following the route correctly and finding all of the code boards counts as a success and we've been doing pretty well at this.

Season is now over for us as my navigator will be in Iceland for the last in the series.  This means I get to marshal.......

Nick

Nick_Jones wrote:

Arrrrgh!  He might withdraw his generous offer after that  :P

Seems like you need to crack on and fix Gerties gearbox.......

Nick

Luckily for Steve I do not have any ex-girlfriends, so the offer still stands.

Perhaps I should rename it, the "Canvey Crapper" perhaps??

thescrapman wrote:

Luckily for Steve I do not have any ex-girlfriends, so the offer still stands.

Perhaps I should rename it, the "Canvey Crapper" perhaps??

Thanks Colin, didn't it used to be called the Damson Dog? Or is this another car you've picked up?

Good work!

Fitted another diff to mine today (PI).  It sings a bit louder than the one that came out  >:(albeit at slightly different loads and speeds, now 40 - 50 light load and over-run) though in a reasonably non-threatening manner.  Very bored with that game now - as this is diff swap no 4 (though the original has been in twice and may yet return!).  Driveshafts both have loads of play in the splines too.

Even more irritating are the new noises from the bell housing which sound suspiciously like a release bearing (fitted as part of a new LUK kit not many miles ago).  Car retains it's appalling attitude!

Nick

Nick_Jones wrote:

Even more irritating are the new noises from the bell housing which sound suspiciously like a release bearing (fitted as part of a new LUK kit not many miles ago).  Car retains it's appalling attitude!

Nick

Thanks Nick,

Reference the release bearings, I must be on about my fifth one now over the two cars. None of them have lasted very long before they start 'chattering'. I've fitted yet another new one today, although CW reckons that these ones are far more superior and should be silent.

Time will tell......