Silverstone - GP circuit track day booking now

Fredbie

In a few more words:

A huge thanks to Fred and everyone else involved with organising the day; especially to whoever was responsible for booking the weather - couldn't have asked for more perfect conditions.
Considering Tara hadn't turned a wheel (or the engine  :B) since Castle Combe last year, and she was only fired up on Saturday - she behaved impeccibly, and didn't miss a beat all day long. I only realised when I'd got home and checked the trip meter for the day; that, I'd 'clocked up' over 100 miles of the Silverstone circuit 8)

Even more miffed that I can't get to Mallory for the track day, next week, now :'(

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The weather did make it pretty much perfect! And as for the circuit - I have to say I thought it might be a bit long but it's suprising how much smaller it seems once you're driving round on it! Thanks to Dave P and Dave S for the tips on lines etc.  ;D I'm not sure Picton took his own advice though as he did seem to have a small excursion to go ploughing during one session! That and driving down the hanger straight waving his arms about... nutter - nothing to do with me!

Actually from the feedback I've had so far (and the smiles from most of the drivers and passengers yesterday) I think it's safe to say that it was a pretty successful event! 

Who says Silverstone GP circuit isn't challenging...?!  8)

Thanks Spitbang; that would be my PI Spitfire OPM831F.

Special thanks to Fred for organising us all. The weather was lovely and Jessica's only regret was she couldn't take her Herald out on the track.

I've now come back with list of improvements to be scheduled for the Spitfire.

http://www.mgs-on-track.com/gallery/showfull.php?photo=3412
Well Diane and I thoroughly enjoyed our day at Silverstone.........huge thanks to Fred and all who organise with her!
Our Sprint's Dellortos were tuned by Dave the Powell to perfection and transformed the car, making it a real pleasure to drive home at 80 mph on a whiff of throttle ta very much Dave and also for your comments on improving lap times (bloke has a nasty habit of knowing where you got it wrong).
Terrific scrap with Mad Mart for a couple of laps he was a few yards behind, then we caught up with a few MG's which bunched us up, after a bit of "robust overtaking" I had made up my mind to let him through on the next straight only to look in my mirror to see him kicking up the dust on the last corner ;)
Then it was all over :'(
Thanks too to the official timekeeper :X for timing Diane and alloting the time to me ::)
;D ;D ;D ;D

"Some off the CT members battling it out ..." Ah yes; that was probably my favourite part of the day; we were pretty evenly matched for a good few laps and I'm glad someone got a snap of the 3 of us together, because I hadn't gotten around to rigging up the video camera at that point (wasn't sure it would be allowed because it was more tied down than bolted down as advised at the briefing). Great fun.

Yup, it was a great day. Good to see all the CT people again and their great cars.

Many thanks to Tim for taking me out in the Grey car. I indeed enjoyed it very much. It was my first ever drive in a big Saloon and I am well impressed by it! Not sure if that's a benefit for the car or the driver though..  :P 

Best soundtrack of the day goes to Dave Pictons green car.  8)

Thanks indeed to Fred for setting this up!
I ( and no doubt many others) can now tick off Silverstone GP circuit - done!

Apologies for the Silverback's incontinence at the end of the post-lunch session - hope it didn't spoil your enjoyment.

John

Quoted from JohnD

Apologies for the Silverback's incontinence at the end of the post-lunch session - hope it didn't spoil your enjoyment.

John

Yes John I came upon your slick and promptly slid for a few yards...........turned to Dave Slideways and said "did you feel that" ::)
Would also like to add how nice to meet some of the names.
Have a few short films and piccies on later.

Quote:

I thought there must be something up, as I stayed with you for most of a lap after I let you passed. I thought it was driver error when I spun but it must have been the oil you were laying down!

All,
It was just water, no oil, but with plenty of antifreeze, as half the cooling system is alloy, so anti-corrosion as well.  Antifreeze is slippy.

And sorry to seem antisocial, but we had a testing programme to chase.  Learnt a lot before the fall.  We did wander by around briefing and lunchtime, but no one was in.  Anyway, you were all huddling together for warmth in the chill of the MGs, so we went out to spread the Gospel.

Praise be, Brothers and Sisters, for the Triumph is at hand!

John

Archived