Who's got what to do for 2018 ?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gearbox and overdrive in place a few days back and last weekend I've  been out for a test drive in the Dolly to make sure the new gearbox and overdrive works. All working great  Drove it with no carpets or gearbox tunnel cover and it's quieter than the old one even without anything to take away the noise so looks like another good unit built by Pete from Sussex in his spare time....   Car is nearly back together now, Have the gearbox cover, dash, parcel shelf, radio etc fitted, also fixed teh blowing exhaust flange gasket and I'm trying the later improved arrangement that Triumph used on 1500 spitfires supporting the downpipe from a bracket on the bell housing rather than the gearbox.

I look forward to being overtaken by said Log in October (again!).

To do list here on the notaPIanymore estate is something along the lines of:

- finish taking engine out, & give it a once over

- work out why the clutch is rubbish, sometimes

- do engine & gearbox gaskets/ seals to try and stop it self- rustproofing so enthusiastically

- replace the VERY LOUD rear diff

- new brakes and lines all round

- new wheelbearings all round

- give the electrics a once over, fit halogens & relay (and/ or LED lights)

- fit the fluffy faux tiger seat covers

- replace suspension bushes etc as required.

The theory is if we can get the above sorted it won't be stopped long enough for people to notice that the wings are more frilly than a maiden aunt's doily collection.

Mine's still not showing any signs of being MOT'd but at least it now idles without choke. Seat belts have been ordered and number plates found. Then I need to:

- refurbish and fit the correct distributor

- tune the engine properly

- fit the internal door release handles so I can get back out

- fit (or probably replace) the gearbox cover

- refurbish and fit the H-frame

- take it for an MOT

- re-fit the door glasses and all their gubbins, with new seals

- re-fit the grille pieces, the bumpers, other chrome-work

- Obtain and fit a carpet set, door trims, rear bulkhead trims, etc.

- fit the hood (or refurbish and fit the hardtop)

- fit the sunvisors

- sort out the headlamp chrome rings

- rebuild both seats, or at least fit the passenger-side one (or borrow the GT6's for the run)

• 2 weeks later...

I need to get hold of some reclining seats with headrests (or at least a reclining passenger seat with a headrest) that will fit in a Mk3 Spit. 

Any suggestions please?! I presume mkIV / 1500 seats will fit, but are the bolt spacings the same? 

Alternatively any wisdom on how best to sleep in such a car? My co-driver is 6ft 5, not sure how he's going to cope. 

The runners on the MkIV / 1500 seats are further apart than the ones on a Mk3. About two inches, I think (when I replaced my floorpans I drilled them for the Mk4 seats I'd acquired, not the broken Mk3 ones that came out).

Sleeping in a Spitfire is going to be a challenge, with or without recliners. At least in a GT6 you can lean back and rest your head on the rear inner wing, staying nice and warm all night.

• 1 month later...

Our RBRR ride "The Flying Log" is coming on, I have a small amount of work for the MOT that will be done and a retest completed this week.

It failed on a small hole that had rusted at the bottom of the inner wing (picture below) and of course emmissions.

It ALWAYs fails on emmisions every year as if it's set up to run properly it is over the MOT limit. So it will be weakened off so it runs like a pig to get through the MOT and then richened up again to a proper state of tune afterwards.

As from next year when it becomes MOT exempt I'm going to have my MOT station do  the test without logging it on the system and leave out the emmsions test. That way I still have the car checked out for any safety and roadworthy issues but can ignore emmisions which are not really a roadworthiness or safety issue.

Other stuff still outstanding on my to do list:-

* Change the master light switch, current one works but some times needs a wriggle but I picked up a brand new one on ebay a while back to fit.

*Change the fuel tank. The baffle in the existing tank has become dislodged and makes the sender unit stick so the fuel gauage doesnt work, picked up another tank advertsised on the Dolomite Facebook Group a few months back. The baffle damage was doen on a previous RBRR when the car was loaded up with spares, tools and 3 fat bastards, The car kept grounding out on teh rough roads especially ion Scotlandshite and the constant banging damaged the tank!

*Add some thermal insulation to the copper fuel pipe than runs behind the engine to help prevent vapourisation in hot weather (like it will be hot on the RBRR, not likely!)

*Change the front tyres, they have plenty of tread on and got through the MOT, however they are about 12 years old and starting to crack. I would replace with Michellins to match the existing, however, just foudn out that Michellin have now stopped doing any tyres in 165/70 13!

* General Service, oil, filters and coolant change with barsleak added to the coolant, tappets, timing, carb tune, gearbox and diff oil check, wheel bearings grease and adjust, brake and clutch fluid check etc.

My GT6 has now done 100 miles since the rebuild, passed its MOT a couple of weeks ago. So all good.

Engine feels super lively, so just got to do another 400 miles and then I can start to give her the beans.

Otherwise, need to fit some under dash lights, and maybe change the rear leaf spring. Also, I need to get her four wheel aligned as she feels a bit unstable in fast corners.

I am using my JG page as a blog to give out latest news about the car.

Having decided the GT6 won’t be sorted enough for the run (putting oil in the gearbox before starting the rebuilt engine and it emptied itself onto the floor, I think the overdrive adaptor plate may have split and by the time I’ve pulled the box to sort it I don’t think I’d get enough mileage on the engine before the start) so anyway the stag is the new weapon of choice and I’ve been getting some miles on that to highlight any potential issues and sure enough on the way home from the Essex meet on Wednesday the brakes let go on a long straight with a t junction at the end!!! All exciting stuff with lots of down changes and a bit of hand brake, followed by a very ginger drive the couple of miles home. A new master cylinder fitted today and all seems good, only issue I had was centering the pwda switch to get the light on the dash to go off. The nylon was showing its 45 years of age and had become very brittle, leaving the threaded part in the mounting hole. I’ve managed to remove the broken off piece and have just ordered a replacement. Hopefully I can get all the failures out the way early and have a smooth run but you never know.

Cheers,

Floyd.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting bit of work today. My Dolomite, the Flying Log developed a fault on the 2014 RBRR, the fuel gauge got stuck on half full on the Sunday morning resulting in us running out of petrol near Bridport in Dorset. Anyway we were lucky in that another crew had a can of petrol and we continued and finished. I changed out both the gauge and the sender after the run and the fault remained, eventually a couple of years later I traced it to a faulty tank, a tack weld holding the internal baffle had broken and the baffle had sprung into a position where it fouled the sender float. I did try and fix it with various levers etc but to no avail, I also tried modifying sender unit levers without success. So for 4 years I've done without a fuel gauge, however I managed to find a good 2nd hand tank earlier this year so swapped it out today. The result was a partial success, I found that the new tank is actually a Toledo one so is 2 gallons smaller and not so long so the rear mountings don't align. I managed to fit it with a couple of brackets though and I do at least have a working gauge again. I'll continue to try and find a decent Dolly tank in the longer term.

Quoted from cook1e-

Interesting bit of work today. My Dolomite, the Flying Log developed a fault on the 2014 RBRR, the fuel gauge got stuck on half full on the Sunday morning resulting in us running out of petrol near Bridport in Dorset. Anyway we were lucky in that another crew had a can of petrol and we continued and finished. I changed out both the gauge and the sender after the run and the fault remained, eventually a couple of years later I traced it to a faulty tank, a tack weld holding the internal baffle had broken and the baffle had sprung into a position where it fouled the sender float. I did try and fix it with various levers etc but to no avail, I also tried modifying sender unit levers without success. So for 4 years I've done without a fuel gauge, however I managed to find a good 2nd hand tank earlier this year so swapped it out today. The result was a partial success, I found that the new tank is actually a Toledo one so is 2 gallons smaller and not so long so the rear mountings don't align. I managed to fit it with a couple of brackets though and I do at least have a working gauge again. I'll continue to try and find a decent Dolly tank in the longer term.

Don't worry I will still be carrying a spare can of petrol if needed. 😎

Quoted from Dannyb-
Quoted from cook1e-

Don't worry I will still be carrying a spare can of petrol if needed. 😎

It will just make Cookie drive more economical.................😛

Had some issues with the GT6, wiring loom melt down following a short. I have now bought a new loom, but just have not got time to properly fit. The car needs to have another 250 miles put into her following the new engine, so I have taken the decision to use the Saloon. 

Took her out the other day, boy it goes well. Decision made!

Well having acheived the 1st job on the list last weekend of "Buy a Car to use"......

Now got quite a bit of sorting out to do.

Car seems to have done 103k in first 13 years of it's life and 500 miles in the next 35 years.

Has had an oil and filter change, and the bolts holding the doors on have been tightened (no idea why they were loose.

New Fan belt and rubber fuel pipes fitted, added a fuel filter.

Exhaust needs re-aligning and there is a shocking noise from the front suspension.

Tyres seem to vary from 10 years old to 40 years old i reckon.. :-(

A new set will be obtained, or I may fit a set of 14inch Stag steels with new tyres on them.

Swap out the delicate cloth seats temporarily, fit a 2.5S steering wheel, relay the headlights (already has halogens)

Looks like the list is getting longer by the minutes......