Who's got what to do for 2018 ?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoted from DUBAIDAVE
Thats a seriously nice car Dirk, and a Devon number plate as well. Do you know its history?

Thanks Dave,
Yes I have some of the history, it was owned by a friend of ours some 10 years ago, he bought it as a rolling restoration . The guy who had stated the restoration had passed away and the family asked a friend of theirs to complete it so they could sell it on. no need to guess that it was done on a shoestring budget with many wrong parts. It is better now.
Before that I dont know, it was registered in dec 1936 but how it ended up from Devon to Doncaster I dont know. Would you know where in Devon GOU was used?

I bought it from Mike Webster, who in a previous life used to own Bond Cars, he showed me a 4 wheeled Bug, which they first made as a conversion with his brother before acquiring the whole company. He has used the SX in the land's end trial, so it is reliable. If it will last the RBRR we'll have to see.

Quoted from Martins Stag
Same colour as my Stag. Is it a previous version of a Stag? .
It would be interesting to get a photo of the youngest and oldest car (not driver) on the RBR!
I will confess that Clive has got to go on my First RBR after 35 years of owning a Triumph.
Luckily I have an excellent chauffer!

Martin  

Bit of your fault really, you having convinced my wife that a Stag would be a good next investment. Had to spend the money quickly before she made up her mind....

D

Quoted from timbancroft61
Sam, sounds interesting?

With one thing and another it's pretty unlikely that we'd be able to complete the run as a 2 person crew, and obviously the Spitfire only has 2 seats!
So it's time for something with a few more seats and I've found a Dolomite 1850 that fits the bill! All being well I'll be amending our entry when I register the new car on the website on the 30th!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Team 22 (GT6 MKII ) - Looking for a serviceable Distributor - 22D6 with Mechanical Tacho Drive - as fitted to Vitesses and TR5 & TR6 

I currently run points as regs for HRCR dictate I do so - but without meddling with my points tacho I'd like to have another in which I can fit electronic ignition for RBRR. I know Accuspark etc do them for about £90 but I hear mixed tales and would prefer to have refurbished a genuine Lucas.

I can't comment about Delco as ever since I've had Greta shes been on a Lucas Dizzy - so please look in that box of bits and see if you can help me. All serious offers considered.

Going to change the horrible looking 13" alloys on my new Spitfire.

Am thinking of fitting 14" Minilites as it's easier to get replacement tyres and they fill the wheelarches a bit better and fit 65 profile tyres.

One thing troubling me is if they will foul the wheelarches without some bodywork alterations?

Jim.

Quoted from McJim Too-

Going to change the horrible looking 13" alloys on my new Spitfire.

Am thinking of fitting 14" Minilites 

In that case I would go for 14"Revolutions. Look much better than Minilites.

But I'd stick to the slots that are on the car now 

Minilites and tyres already ordered and on their way.

A few other bits and bobs winging their way to the Peoples Republic of Lambrini too.

Jim.

PS  Just noticed that you can change the font size on your text.

Why not make the text size to 12 as a default and save our straining eyesight?

My GT6 engine change is progressing well.

The short engine is back, hope to fit that in two weeks time. Have enjoyed much fun with the cylinder head, my old much modified mk2 GT6 head has a crack at the back in the water jacket, so took the one that was on my Saloon to them, this has a crack in one of the combustion chambers. So have now taken a mk2 Vitesse head to them, will know on Monday how that is looking. If good, this will have bigger valves fitted and some porting works. By fitting this head, I see fun and games with pushrods!

Otherwise, I have carried out the following:

1. Stripped and painted the chassis and bulkhead.

2. Changed the steering rack mounts from solid alloy mounts to polybushed units using the orig Stanpart type clamps.

3. Changing the alloy header tank to a late TR7 unit to save some space on the bulkhead.

4. Fitted new brake lines.

5. Changed the front suspension turrets back to those originally fitted to the car.

6. Fitted new TREs.

7. Got mate, James Cooper to fit a new battery tray and supporting brackets.

It is great to start to hear that many are getting their cars ready for the event, lets hear those stories!

I am having a right game sorting out the cylinder head of Woodie.

First sign of a problem was the engine suddenly running on 5 cylinders, so off with the rocker cover for a quick peek and the push rod for no 3 cylinder had jumped off the rocker arm.  Luckily push rod undamaged but clearly the valve was sticking in the guide.

Organising the London-Sydney50 stand at Race Retro rather interfered with the required head strip down ....... and then we had the snow   Still once it had stopped and I had cleared the mound of snow off Woodie I got on with the job - was it dedication or simply the MUT thing showing through.

Removing the head was a total nightmare with studs coming unscrewed from the head and making it very difficult to remove inlet manifold and exhaust headers. Then the head would not shift!

Only thing to do was to remove the cylinder head studs on the row outside the rocker - the ones inside the cover were OK as shown by the head lifting a few thou on that side with lots of careful work with thing scrapers to get into the gap.  However two studs refused to budge using the two nuts trick to save the threads and in the end had to resort to my heavy duty stud remover which has to ruin them.  After using a 2 ft lever they finally gave up their resistance and our they screwed .... reluctantly. 

Cause was that the studs had rusted in the stud hole in the head but why?  Obviously a light coating of grease to preserve them had not been used, but the real problem was the person who assembled the head onto the block had used standard washers which flexed under the extreme pressure of the torque loading allowing some water to get down into the stud hole.  This is why you are supposed to use hardened thick thrust washers that can resist the torque necessary for tightening a cylinder head.

Head then came of quite easily but why had the valve stuck in the guide?

Part 2 to follow!

MUT

• 2 months later...

Getting set ready for a gearbox and Overdrive change on the "Flying Log" this weekend, will put in a NOS Borg and Beck Clutch while the box is out. Overdrive is fine but the gearbox is noisy so needs changing before the RBRR. Will have a noisy gearbox good for rebuild and a working overdrive for sale afterwards, same as Spitfire 1500 if anyone is interested ;-)