Who's got what to do for 2018 ?

Err.... .buy a car. Having wanted to do it for 20 years or so, 2016 was my first RBRR, as a driver in team 15, Saffron PI. So enjoyable was the experience (mainly, although Wales was "challenging") that I have been inspired to do it in a car of my own in 2018, but what car?
I've considered an early Dolomite - I learned to drive in a K reg 1850 (RJX 100K where are you now) in the mid 70s - or a Sprint, but I've had an addiction to Heralds especially Estates for 37 years which I find hard to break, and I do actually still have a 13/60 Estate, in bits. However, in the space of a week, two people, both former Vitesse owners, have said to me "I wouldn't fancy doing the RBRR in a Herald-chassis vehicle". Noise, slowness and lack of room were the reasons.  Anyone care to comment about the suitability (or lack thereof) of a Herald/Vitesse for the RBRR? Maybe a Vitesse Estate would be the way forward.........

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having had vitesse and heralds as daily drivers for about 20 years (until 5 years ago-ish) and then driving a Toledo, I would say the monocoque cars are far more refined. That never really bothered me for most of the stuff I was doing, but on the RBRR it makes for a more relaxed drive, especially in a team of 3.

However, plenty use heralds/vitesse/spit/gt6/TR's etc so it is do-able, but the experience is down to personal choice

Quoted from Ridgetone Triumph

That sounds like a good plan Ted, AFH. Let Andrew drive Woodie, stocked up with spares and he can follow me around 😉

Just thought - I may need Andrew myself as a co-driver unless the experience of the last one with the Vlyers was too much for him 😀

MUT

Having done the RBRR in a GT6 four times, a Vitesse once, and a Toledo once, I'd say get a 2500S  

But seriously, yes, the big saloons are way more relaxed and comfortable and really do lend themselves to the team-of-three approach. Stags are also quite good for that. The Toledo sucked - although it was, admittedly, not running at its best, it was hopelessly under-powered for three-up on the hilly bits and not all that much more comfortable than the small chassis cars. The Vitesse, in particular, was a very easy drive, even though we were a team of two (it's a convertible, not a saloon). If I were to tackle it in a Herald Estate, I'd want to have the spec we never got Henrietta to - 1500 engine, 3.63 diff, overdrive, well maintained and reliable (H had the first two).

That said, my dad took us on a family holiday in Scotland when I was little, driving all the way up himself, nearly in one slog, in a standard 1200 Estate. Us three boys slept in the back 🙂

• 3 months later...

Finally finished the winter rebuild of the spare engine, a 1500 dm####ess, to go into the RMB Gentry.
Bearings, seals, timing chain kit, rockers, pushrods head rebuilt, all sorts etc etc.
Out with the kaput 1296 in with the recon. More than happy with test runs to setup rebuilt carburetor carburation and choose best curve.
Having advice from 123 in Netherlands and a long time owner who uses a similar engine/123 setup i ended up with Curve C, SU needle AAB and the vacuum moved off ported to manifold.
First 100 mile oil change post rebuild removed bits cleaning failed to remove during rebuild.
I will decide over the next few weeks test drives whether to fit an oil cooler kit as airflow to the sump in these cars is rather restricted.
Then hopefully we will be allowed another attempt.
Regarding the kaput 1296, head gasket and rings had failed along with the exhaust/inlet manifold.
Exhaust valve seats do not look to healthy either so a full rebuild required.

• 2 weeks later...

Well quite clearly HOE was not interested in doing 2016 and FRanK will be sold by then so it looks as though it could be a first outing on the RBRR for JO the mk1M.
Lots to do before then and a bottom end rebuild on my sister Elaine Cartwright's  1500HL Dolomite GranDaD too.
Must start prep earlier this time, don't want to sit it out again like 2016.

• 2 months later...

Contrary to my previous post FRanK has not been sold, Amanda didn't want me to (neither did I really). Looks like it will be first time around in a mk1 though, as now JO  the mk1M is ripping up the tarmac I will have to take it round.

Hmmm.... Overdrive is fitted... its not broke so enjoying at the moment. Might change main bearings for oil pressure when hot issues.  Need Greenstuff pads for coming off Dartmoor my cheapo pads smelt a bit by the time we reached the bottom, apparently according to the driver there wasn't a lot left in the braking abilities too

New front suspension for the Stag sat in the garage ready to fit. Want to enjoy this weather before replacing it all. [ it will take me a while to fit it ]
Still want to fit new ignition parts, then bag and keep all the parts as they are working fine. Strombergs have never been overhauled that can be a winter job.
I had planned to get this all done by Easter this year, but work and life in general have taken up most of my time so far.

• 1 month later...

The 1966 Mk1 m o/d is probably good to go right now .
It's completely standard mechanically but i will probably fit the Recaro seats and inertia seat belts for a bit more long distance comfort and safety.
I'll also fit a rear belt as we will,in all probability, be running a three man crew
  cheers,
    Laurence

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My 2018 car needs.
Holes welding,
Suspension rebuilds,
Engine stripped rebuilt
Head Skimmed and UL Valves and seats
Gearbox rebuilt with OD Main shaft,
Spare OD stripped rebuilt,
New Brake lines
Carbs Stripped and rebuilt
Wipers stripped rebuilt
Relays fitted for lighting.

Apart from that good to go...

The list for Molly the Tolly is currently over two pages.

Engine
Replacement oil pump and/or PRV and/or warning light switch to cure the apparent low pressure when warm
Recon unleaded high-compression head
Pair of HS2
Spit III cam
Dolomite Club stainless extractor exhaust manifold and new mid- and back sections
Rolling-road tune
Repair to leaking radiator

Gearbox
Lots of prayers
Possibly overdrive - if I can sell both daughters

Brakes
Replacement of servo with one that works

Electrics
Fitment of spotlights, fog-light, reversing lights
Fitment of relays in headlamp circuit to protect column stalk from burnout

Bodywork
Fitment of MGF seats
Fitment of new fascia with rev-counter as well as normal cluster
Replacement of N/S front wing, repair of rust in O/S front wing and front panel, headlamp mounting panels

Other
Bribery/blackmail of mates to sign up to do the Run

Apart from that, it's all good...