• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to clarify I DO NOT think the RBRR is unsafe in anyway I was just answering an question John D asked. I have driven home from Berlin to Liverpool via Kidderminster inside 22 hours in a double manned coach, and have done 3 of these shifts in one week before now so I imagine doing 48 hours together wouldn't be an issue. I don't think these events or any other endurance event is unsafe in any way, my family has been involved in various forms of motorsport and commercial vehicles for well over 60 years now.

I'm not a club member myself, sadly it's a small expense I can't afford right now. I do use this forum a lot to help with my rebuild, and I like to think I give back as much as I take from it. I will perhaps one day join the club when my finances are in a better condition, but for now I'm focusing on getting my Triumph back on the road.

Thanks Guys,
Stu.

As a X pro who still holds a Commercial License for any type of vehicle legal for road use here in the states, Yes the RBRR would be illegal under DOT rules.  The RBRR is not subject to those rules!   In fact I know of no country that puts limits on private drivers.  Yes it is illegal to drive impaired (sleepy) in most county's.   Enough information is out here for the first timers to know what they are getting into.   Ok some who have done the run thought it was too much and are not going to enter again.  No event is for everyone!  I think the run should stay as is.  I hope like the rest of you I will know when I am just too old to do another.  I think the main theme here is: If you don't like or approve, Don't enter but, don't look down on us that who make the run.  Stay in your own comffy zone, 2, 3 or more drivers it's up to you.

Yes their have been some problems but to me it's not the lack of sleep but those who think it is some kind of RACE and drive stupid even if not Sleepy!  How many accidents have been caused by lack of sleep?   (Not pointing finger)

• 1 month later...

Sorry don't agree that RBRR is just for the big boys don't forget us girls too.

Completed it 3 times in our herald on 2 ocassions we were 3 up and the last time we did the event in our herald 2 up and the rocker arm broke at Dunbeath 20 miles from Wick as the day went on we were 3 hours behind and found another rocker arm also 3 fuel pumps later and finished the event and can I say we weren't last, far from it, our motto is "Never give up" and "No fannying around", It is the hare and the tortoise!   Hence we received the Spirirt of the Event Trophy that year :)

Did the event another year in GT6 for our friend who had entered but then sadly passed away.  That was a different experience just keeping it on the road.

Another year 4 up, bought a Big Boys car 2000 MK1 paid 500 pounds we fancied a challenge and didn't do anything to it, and the UJ went on the prop on the way to Blythe nursed the car to Wick sorted it in the pouring rain/fog, 3 hours at least behind again and was the first car back.  

3 times now completed the event in the stag but hope to do it again in the herald next year if the restoration is complete already started on her ;)

People sometimes forget that the RBRR was/is to see if you can fix or repair your car at the side of the road with the parts that you can beg, steal, borrow or take with you.

Kind regards
From a GIRL who drives triumphs and has done for the last 19 years!

Derek Pollock's words in the latest edition of 'Club Torque', are spot on.

I don't think the event is dangerous and the stats back it up, only 4 cars have been severely damaged and none of them have been because of sleep deprivation.

The main problem with the event is that crews do not rest up during the days up to the event. I am as guilty of this as others, however in my case that will be because I have some last minute RBRR issue to deal with.

So sleep before the event and keep up with the pace of the event, there you go!

I may well enter the 2014 event using the Spitfire, would be fun to see how it would be, can't see the problem. 3.89 diff, overdrive, 13'' 70 profile tyres, GT6 seats?

Dale Barker has done about 15 RBRRs, the majority in Harold, his Herald Convertible.

Why do some people appear to take constructive discussion as overt criticism? :/
I understand peoples concerns, but my experience is that the event is easily achievable 2 up: the bottom line is plan properly and rest before and during.
I don't think any of our fellow contributors were advocating the event be changed?

When I started this thread, I asked a question.

As is the way on the Forum, it grew arms and legs with people, who have no interest in taking part, talking the event down and implying that those taking part and those who are organising it are irresponsible.

Even Derek Pollock, who was behind the original concept of the event, has weighed in with his comments in the club magazine.

It's a very good thing that we have open discussions such as this.

It stops us being complacent about things such as safety, the viability in running the event and also where the RBRR might be heading in the future.

However, my original question was purely based on statistics.

Last year's event had fewer small engined Triumphs taking part as a percentage than ever before.

Is there now a perception that you need a big Triumph to take part?

Do we need to provide incentives to get more smaller engined cars on the event?

Are we becoming a bunch of softies who yearn for the luxuries of our modern cars when taking part?

Just asking.

Jim.

Size isn't important to me...
I've not done it in a small car, but for me the RBRR is all about the fun of being able to press, in a manner which isn't largely possible these days, with like minded individuals on roads that i didn't think existed anymore.
I'd be happy to have a smaller engined car, just as long as it was still capable of putting in a good show. 48hrs of encouraging and enjoying a little mild mannered vehicle has an appeal, but not for me.

I think some people are using the saloons more as they are getting a bit softer with age..myself included....but as for 2 or 3 drivers ..it don't matter ,done it several times 2 up ad as long as you gets your rest in the passenger side you're fine .
.you'd be amazed what fun you can have in a herald..they can hustle along with a bit of encouragement

I should say i've done it in a GT6(small but perfectly formed) and a saloon. :)
I haven't done it in a small engined car.

GT6boy wrote:
Size isn't important to me...
I've not done it in a small car, but for me the RBRR is all about the fun of being able to press, in a manner which isn't largely possible these days, with like minded individuals on roads that i didn't think existed anymore.
I'd be happy to have a smaller engined car, just as long as it was still capable of putting in a good show. 48hrs of encouraging and enjoying a little mild mannered vehicle has an appeal, but not for me.

Two in a Herald was hard work. Although to be fair I did have to do almost all the driving and didn't get any sleep until I passed out on the M5. At which point it was a choice of trying to get some sleep or forcing the co-driver to pull his weight. So we stopped in a lay-by.

Pick team members carefully!

I have done 4 RBRR`s in my vitesse. Only 2 persons each time. I and my co-drivers are all well over the retirement age and have completed all 4 with no problems. Have the car thoroughly checked and go out and enjoy yourselves. You know it makes sense.Malc.

malcty wrote:
I have done 4 RBRR`s in my vitesse. Only 2 persons each time. I and my co-drivers are all well over the retirement age and have completed all 4 with no problems. Have the car thoroughly checked and go out and enjoy yourselves. You know it makes sense.Malc.

Excellent words!

Hear, hear!