I have no regular co-driver and very reluctant to commit to spending 2 days with someone I don't know and that I might not get on with.

Is it feasible to attempt this solo? Obviously one would be sensible about taking naps, food, drink etc.

Managing an average 40mph in a Toledo 1300 would also be interesting.

Any thoughts?

Be prepared for a lot of stick here Rod!!   Can you seriously answer "yes" to your ability to drive pretty much non stop for 48 hours and 2000 miles by yourself, dealing with weather, breakdowns, fatigue etc in a car that is slow and noisy compared with modern standards?

The event is difficult with two drivers, and I believe we have a policy that prevents single driver entries: it's not realistic to do this event on your own.

I'm sure there will be other members who need a co driver or a car, so think about that; don't worry about not getting on with them because usually even best friends start to irritate each other by the time they get to Corbridge, it's part of the fun.# ;D ;D ;D ;D

Rod

There will be plenty of people willing to go with you I would have thought.

If you get a couple of offers, send a pm to a couple fo the organsiers, that will weed out the lunatics.....

I have met you at Bovingdon, I am sure you will get on with most people, and most people would get on with you.

Don't forget that you will both be asleep for at least 12 hours of the 48, so that eliminates 24 hours of conversation... :-)

(well assuming you don't fall asleep at the same time)

Cheers

Colin

p.s. single running isn't allowed, it is in the regs.

p.p.s. If all else fails, and it goes horribly wrong, you can always swap your co-driver half way round with another car. On the fringes of the rules, but your sanity is more inportamnt I would suspevt.

Thoughly agree with the above caution.
But I can see Rod's point.

Personally,  I'm not happy about two seaters which cannot take a three man team.   I've done the RBRR and the 10CR, in two- and three-man cars, and the second is so much better!   I've worked out some rotas that would allow a multi-car team to contain two seaters and still allow all members what I would consider adequate rest.  And it woudld mean that if two don't hit it off, they will not spend the whole time together.
  I won't bore you with the schedules, but has anyone entered a multicar team, whose members swapped between the cars?
John

6038 wrote:
I have no regular co-driver and very reluctant to commit to spending 2 days with someone I don't know and that I might not get on with.

Is it feasible to attempt this solo? Obviously one would be sensible about taking naps, food, drink etc.

Managing an average 40mph in a Toledo 1300 would also be interesting.

Any thoughts?

No !
...and you need to be a little quicker than 40 MPH

I would not risk one driver attempts for a virtual non stop 2,000 run

JohnD wrote:
Thoughly agree with the above caution.
But I can see Rod's point.

I won't bore you with the schedules, but has anyone entered a multicar team, whose members swapped between the cars?
John

Yes, but 5 people sharing my Vitesse and TR7 which worked well on a rota

This will be number twelev for me and I have have had some good teams, some average teams and one completely useless team from which my love of long distance events nearly never recovered, my current team are brill we get on well never any arguments about money, it's split three ways, and if it's a pound or two out at the end who cares!!

I would never do it or recommend anyone tries it alone, I would hate it with two, three for me is the sensible option, a driver a navigator and a slepper

I am sure Tim will chime in here sometime. NO! regs say you can't do it alone!   I put a sticky thread up for anyone looking for a co driver or for one who want's to join a team.  Toss your name out and see what happens.  Last time I responded to a last min post from someone who at the last min needed a co driver.  Never met him before nor had any idea who he was.  We met for the first time on Wednesday before the run, All went well and we got along great, and now we be good mates.  Only problem was the car, it broke in Cornwall.   Ask Regie Barton, they run a 6 man team with 3 cars and rotate during the run.  I have done this with 3 and 2, I prefer a crew of 3.  All will go great as long as you don't argue over money, don't get upset or nitpick about their driving, never get upset if you miss a turn or get lost.  

Golden Rule:
Never sweat the petty things
Never pet the sweaty thngs

Ever since my first RBRR in 1974 I have been happy with just two drivers, however in a 4A I don't have much option! A safe, responsible and mechanically sympathetic co-driver beside whom one can happily sleep when necessary and a well looked after, reliable car make for a stress free and relaxing event.

Tim

John,

That was a mad car to use, must have been really difficult, so I am not sure that your 2 person comments are fair.

All,

I have only ever done the RBRR as a two man crew and have found it to be brilliant.

Did the 10CR once with two others, one guy was great, the other was not someone I would wish to spend time with again (Did'nt know him that well and found him out to be a chiselling tight wad-who thrashed the nuts of my car)!

• 3 weeks later...

I like the loopy bit . You will definitely fit right in with most RBRR participants....

I am in the 10 % (completely barking)... This will be No 6 for me ...  2 man teams can work great , If you have a big saloon 2 or 3 can work. I have never been abandoned in Cornwall  or left anyone behind so must have got on with them quite well !  I do recommend that you know how your prospective partner(s) drive as I can imagine that this could be a source of friction .... Also how good is your car ? If you have been nursing a dodgy clutch for the last five years or some other ailment that you would only put up with in your weekend sunny day Triumph then perhaps it may be time to fix the little irritants before you start  a 2000 mile trip as I am sure that a perspective co driver Will notice them. If you want to 'get to know ' someone as a perspective co driver why not consider a shorter event like the HCR in April .

2004 ..... Crashed into a Bridge after total diff seizure in a 1500 Spit ... very brown pants otherwise unscathed !
2006 ..... Molly the Dolly a 1500 HL Auto, hand painted in Green bought from E bay for £150.00 ( fitted with a 1300 Small crank) Epic .... Loads of helping out others with breakdowns ... limped home last with knackered head gasket .
2008 ..... Amy .. Another 1500 HL this time a Gusset Brown manual O/D never missed a beat until I put Diesel in it in Wales, drained it out, filled it with super and off she went as good as ever.. Back with Andy cook in 2014!
2010 ...... In my mate Jon's Mk 4 1300 Spitfire. 6 breakdowns all fixed with tape and Meccano... late everywhere Brilliant fun.
2012...... Olaf my current 2500 Saloon in Auto form at the time but since converted to man O/D as she ate the auto box towards the end of the run. Still did well though. Apart from bringing my son in 2008 this is my only 3 man crew