Okay, I don't mind asking the stupid question I bet everyone is thinking but dare not ask. The 2 maps only cover France, Belgium, Netherlands and Andorra (although that bit looks as though it is blank?), and even I can't get lost between The Plough and Dover, so we don't need a UK one. That makes it the 5CR.

What about maps for the other 5 countries?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you'll probably find that for most of the other countries that we will be 'visiting', we will just duck across the border and then back again (I'm guessing at Spain, Monaco, Switzerland, Italy and Luxembourg) so the maps will have those bits of road around the borders on them. I'm just waiting for Ellis to post me my road books since I won't be at the drivers meetings then I'll know more ;)

I was thinking the same when I ordered the map books.  But I have not been over the channel before.    By the way when I oredered mine Amozon listed that I got the last of each?   Me thinks we will just hook a tow rope to someone who know's where they are going.

Don't panic - all will be explained at the drivers meetings... the maps cover everything we need apart from one small section which I'll let you know about... and no Sat Nav isn't cheating and I would say very sensible.  As long as it works, I'll make the route available as ITN files for TomTom, so you should have to spend ages programming yourselves.

I'll make the route available as ITN files for TomTom, so you should have to spend ages programming yourselves.

So YOU SHOULD have to spen AGES Programming Yourselves?  ??)

Me thinks the words should not need to be their somewhere. Now maby some People need personal programming?  Team DollyRoo will have Tom-Tom, The only one!  :)

TR7Nutter wrote:
, so you should have to spend ages programming yourselves.

It took me ages last time to program them all in.

Ellis kindly provided them, I printed them out and then entered them all manually.

The mate that lent me the SatNav forgot the interface cable... :-(

In fact I got bored halfway round europe typing them in and we didn't have all of teh second half programmed in.

Cheers

Colin

I've been using Tom Tom for PDA for several years now, in fact the speed camera points of interest are really good, so much so that it's one of the few pieces of software/data I deemed good enough to buy :-) My daughter has a Garmin, bought in the States and then given to her by a friend, I hacked it to add UK maps - what a fiddle! Works OK but it's a bit like a little toy. Give me Tom Tom anyday!

Would www.poiedit.com help translate between formats?

Ellis will do a Tom Tom itinery file and make it available for download. You download it, put it on your Tom Tom and then off you go. All stops and key landmarks will be in there and you can either follow the exact route using the itinery file or plt your own routes using the kep landmarks eg if the route has us using a toll road and you don't want to then you can do your own thing with ease.
If you want to edit things, turn the itinery into a set of POI (Points of Interest), convert to your own GPS etc then you need POI Edit (it's free) or some other converter.

Especially for you Don, get some wet and dry paper, the coarsest you can find. Print the map out on the smooth side - you can use crayons and draw the map, Europe's all the same anyway :-) Now roll it up tight, abrasive on the outside (to keep the map nice) and insert it you know where.
Now if you get lost you'll be able to whip it out and have a look but you won't want to do that too many times due to the eye watering and teh whimpering sounds you'll make - so you have an incentive not to get lost!

Simples  ;)

Archived