Dolomite sprint wheels on a mkiv spitfire

Spearson

I have recently bought a set of dolomite sprint wheels to replace the standard wheels on my spitfire. Now i have bought them i have realised its not going to be a straightforward swap. When i bought them the previous owner said that he was going to fit the to a triumph herald and gave me all the bits he had bought to do it, including two 3/4" thick wheel spacers with 7/16" UNF studs for the front wheels and 1" thick wheel spacers with 7/16" UNF studs for the rear wheels. (Both sets were kits supplied by Grayston) http://www.graystonengineering.com/wheelnutmenu.htm [under competition wheel spacer kits]. My current concern using these spacer kits to fit the wheels is that the wheels are no longer going to be supported by the hubs. This is where i really need some advice. Do the wheels need to be supported by the hubs? if so how do i go about fitting these wheels?

Here is a photo of the wheel spacers i have: (this one is the 3/4" one)

I'm not a wheel expert and i am really confused on this one so any help will be much appriciated. Oh and if its any help the wheels aer 13" x 5.5j

Hi
Sprint alloys have a different offset to spitfire wheels.  The kit you have will work but will put extra loads through your drive train which may result in rapid failure of the weaker components like wheel bearings and trunions.  I would not fit such a kit or sprint alloys.  Plenty of correct offset alloys are avilable from a well known online auction site!

All the best

Tim

Hi,

I've fitted Dolly Sprint wheels to my mk3 using spacers of 15mm front (to clear GT6 brakes and upright) and 10mm rear coupled with longer studs from Jigsaw Racing.

It works clearance wise but I'm not happy with the location for the reasons previously mentioned. I'm therefore having some spacers machined up from solid that will locate in the wheel bolt holes and / or hub - we're currently looking at the design as the hub centre on the Dolly wheels is just an as-cast surface.

if you're interested I could get you a price for doing some?

Let me know,

Ross

I can't swear on a stack of Spitfires, but on other 'small chassis' Triumphs there is no projecting hub to engage with, locate and support the wheel.  Vitesses, for one.
I did exactly as you suggest, Spearson, on my Old Blue Vitesse (pic), with no problems.    Subsequently, I moved on to wider steels and to Revolutions that require a similar spacer, and although racing does lead to axle failures, it's not the wheels that fall off, just the whole hub!

I would have no hesitation is using the kit you have for road use, but use steel wheel nuts, not the O/e alloy ones, which are too soft.  Chris Witor can supply steels.

John

Yeah, when i picked the wheels up they came with oe dolly sprint wheel nuts (aluminium) and i don't like the idea of having aluminium wheel nuts! I'll look into getting a set of steel wheel nuts as soon as possible thank you for all your help so far ill post up a picture of the car with the new wheels on as soon as i have finished fitting them.

well the reason the dolly nuts are the shape they are is to locate the rim centrally on the hub, without the need for a spigot. you'll find many older type alloy wheels use this method, similarly steel rims use domed or tapered nuts to centralise the wheel. modern wheels tend to ue a spigot ring to locate the rim on the hub, partly because bolts are used instead of studs and nuts

I have encountered a problem with fitting these wheels to my car. Namely the rear hubs. I have tried and tried to remove the hubs from the driveshaft to no avail. I have read in several places that you need the special triumph hub pulling tool but i'm not willing to fork out £50-60 for one. I already have a sturdy hub puller which i have tried to use and it will not budge, i even tried using a slide hammer on the hub puller to free the hub, but nothing. If i can't remove them i'm thinking about replacing the entire halfshafts with reconditioned ones from canley classics. Unless anyone can suggest anything to help remove the hubs?

Spearson wrote:
I have encountered a problem with fitting these wheels to my car. Namely the rear hubs. I have tried and tried to remove the hubs from the driveshaft to no avail. I have read in several places that you need the special triumph hub pulling tool but i'm not willing to fork out £50-60 for one. I already have a sturdy hub puller which i have tried to use and it will not budge, i even tried using a slide hammer on the hub puller to free the hub, but nothing. If i can't remove them i'm thinking about replacing the entire halfshafts with reconditioned ones from canley classics. Unless anyone can suggest anything to help remove the hubs?

I think the only way is to use the Triumph puller.  I scraped 2 hubs trying to remove them with a normal puller. Buy the tool and have it done in 10min. Maybe someone lives near you who has one.  Where are you?

Regards
Tim

Spearson wrote:

what problem with the hubs? i was going to put sprint wheels on mine and the only prob i found was the center being a bit tight,could you not  clean the center hole of the wheel out with a flap wheel in aa drill if so.
craig

Spearson wrote:
I live near stroud, gloucestershire, i have asked around a couple of people i know who have triumphs but no one seems to have one

Hi
I live in Kidderminster.  I think its about 40mins from stroud.  You are welcome to come and use mine!  

All the best

Tim

Spearson wrote:
I live near stroud, gloucestershire, i have asked around a couple of people i know who have triumphs but no one seems to have one

I live in Tetbury and I haven't got one either, sorry.  :-/
If you want large hammers though, I have lots of those, and I have a will to win.  :)

• 4 years later...

Similar. Can't guarantee they would fit, but they do sit further in than herald wheels if they do. You may need a small spacer at the front, but probably not.
However, I would suggest a decent set of vitesse wheels would be a better idea if possible.

See if you can try one? front are the ones most likely to be an issue, but a mall, as in 5mm may be required.
I have done the opposite, spifire wheels on a toledo. They increase the track a little. Plus I had them, and the car came with sprint alloys (of which I am not a big fan)

• 4 years later...

First question, do you have the correct wheel nuts (difficult to find used, especially with threads that work, and expensive new. Most are 7/16 thread as used on later sprints)

But the wheels may require spacers at the front to fit without rubbing. And all round there will be the issue of the wheels sitting a bit further in. But give them a whirl....