So what was your First ever car you owned!

Adrianb

A 1952 Triumph Renown.  Bought in 1970 for £85.  Wrote it off on the A355 - spun in the wet on a corner and flew into a lamp post backwards - snapped the back of the front bench seat and we ended up in the back seat.  Sold the parts for around £250 through Exchange and Mart so bought another MOT failed car for £19 to satisfy demand for parts from around 20 customers.  I remember the days when you could put four gallons of petrol in a car for £1.00

1949 Morris 8 convertible, like this, but in MUCH  worse condition.

Morris 8 40 Tourer 2 Unrestored Identical Morris 8 Tourers in NSW

It was blue, called "Maybelline" and had a request played for it on Radio Luxembourg by someone called 'Jimmy Saville'.

Whatever happened to him?

• Haha 1

"Owned" would by a '72 Triumph Spitfire. Drove would be '76 Pontiac Firebird that I had fixed up with my Dad. I destroyed it (rolled it twice, maybe three times [I had my eyes closed]) and got the Spitfire.

Drove it in all weather with meter high snow (Southern Michigan).

Then got an '80 Porsche 924 and then a '90 Pontiac Sunbird.

A Vauxhall Viva HC. 1300 4 door SL version. I paid £30 for it from a bloke who worked with my dad who was going to scrap it as it had failed the MOT due to the exhaust rusting through. I put a new exhaust on and ran it for two years, then I sold it for £100 to buy and Austin (Agro) Allegro. The speedo on the Viva was poorly damped and would bounce around as you went over bumps and around corners. 

1964 Mini minor 850cc with floor start button when i was 16,never even got it on the road (legally), as in my mind, I thought I could do a handbrake turn into my mums garage, it didn`t happen because the handbrake was rubbish and i was going too fast. Ended up demolishing next doors brick gatepost and wrecking the front end of the mini.

Steve

• Like 1

When 18 in 1978 I got a 1968 Minivan that had the van floor removed and a folding bus bench seat put in the back making it a four seater. It looked quite smart with a white roof and dark green body even though it had been handpainted using paint from Woolworths.

It was kindly written off for me in the Feb 1979 version of the Beast from the East by a lunatic in a 3 litre Capri.  I was making good progress in a virtual white out and foot and a half of snow in a 30 zone.  Mr Capri decided I wasn't going fast enough for him so he overtook me then realised he was heading into the path of an oncoming Volvo so he simply put his foot down, lost the back end and spun it 180 into the Volvo.  I managed to stop somewhere near the edge of the road thinking I had escaped the carnage only to find that Mr Capri rebounded off the Volvo then mounted what was probably the pavement and hit me smashing the bonnet wing and radiator so an economic loss.

Mr Capri tried to blame it all on his stupid automatic car - Mr Volvo was absolutely furious.

1963 Morris Mini Van in willow Green bought for £180 with 6k miles on the clock in 1966. I wanted a Mini saloon but as a lowly paid engineering apprentice I couldn’t afford one, buy the minivan with a loan from Mum & Dad. Had great fun in it, crashing, bashing and thrashing it. Tarted it up, removing the chrome hub caps, re spraying the front grille Old English White, adding a white stripe on the drivers side over the bonnet roof and back door, complete with a Peco big bore silencer it was the dogs what’s its!  Sold it on completion of my apprenticeship and bought a 1967 E reg MGB roadster in Tartan red with wire wheels and overdrive. Those were the days!!

My mum was so scared I was on a motorbike she got my dad to bring home a 1966 mini someone had advertised at work for £50.  The head was cracked, so I had to get one from a breakers yard. The body had lots of holes where the top of the wings learnt a lot but this was only 1976 atrocious condition really by todays standards. Having  replaced the head got her up and running, and took her for a test drive around the block. I learnt another lesson, I Met a police car, the result was £25 and 3 points for no insurance, £10 for no Licence, £5 for no MOT! then later £50 more than all the rest put together for No Tax which they picked up in a backroom somewhere from the convictions! If only my mum had left me on my bike! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ian Humphreys said:

1963 Morris Mini Van in willow Green

12 hours ago, Ian Humphreys said:

lowly paid engineering apprentice

My son is currently on an electrical apprenticeship (year 2 of 4)... when he passes his driving test the best he can hope for is some sub-1 litre euro-box type thing. Anything else he just won't get insurance for.

1972 Citroen Dyane 6….. in 1987, for £95. Not a great example but very practical. Had a rather wonder feature called a “trafficlutch”. That is a centrifugal clutch as well as the conventional clutch, so you could creep in traffic using the throttle only, like an auto.

It was very slow and very economical. It was replaced with a 1965 Herald 1200, which was much less economical and only marginally faster.

Nick

We all had 'classic' cars when I was a student.   A friend had a very swish - well, it could take a lot more people than anyone else's - Morris Oxford.  This colour if memory correct, but with lots of orange-red tints.

See the source image

So much tinting that one day at the pub, I leant back against the wing - and pushed the headlight right through!   He wasn't pleased!

• Haha 1