Bonnet gas struts

Spitfire1500

Hi everyone,

I am considering fitting some bonnet struts to decrease the lifting effort required and to prevent the bending, flexing and cracking that occurs as a result of lifting the bonnet from one side (when lifting with one person).

There is a good guide on the Teglerizer web site, but being a US web site from 2002-2003, the part numbers quoted are no longer available and of course, shipping would be quite high for the UK.

Has anyone done this to their Spitfire and could they confirm what parts they used from what car and if there were any fitting problems? The idea is I can then go to a local scrapyard for a pair of struts.

I'm doing a lot of bonnet lifting, whilst I fiddle with the Carbs, so I'm getting concerned about the flexing.

Kind regards,

David

Many thanks for your reply Tim,

I would be tempted to go for the TSSC ones, if they weren't £118 for the pair  :(

I might need to do some investigating to find a cheap pair of the right size at a local scrapyard and with a bit of luck they'll be the correct size for my car. I ought to measure things up really and go from there!

Kind regards,

David

Steve_Curton wrote:
I saw a pair of the TSSC ones in operation just yesterday evening on a GT6. They do a good job and look correct as the bracket at the bottom is designed to fix to existing points.

The TSSC have a patent pending on those.
I know the guy who sent them the drawings for the brackets and provided source for the struts.
He got nothing.

Many thanks for your replies,

The TSSC ones do look like a nice, professional fit, I just wish they weren't so much money! Plus, in response to the above, I have a moral obligation *not* to support TSSC if they haven't given anything back to the original designer as I don't agree with their behaviour.

The Sachs ones from the Rockauto web site end up becoming £42 shipped to the UK - which isn't a great deal of money  and is nearly three times less than the TSSC ones.

I'll keep everyone posted with what I decide to do as I ought to get the Carburettors sorted first! Although Rockauto looks tempting, instead of the trial and error of going to a load of scrapyards and maybe not finding anything.

Kind regards,

David

Gt6s wrote:

I know the guy who sent them the drawings for the brackets and provided source for the struts.
He got nothing.

If he can back that up, then he need do no more tha write to the Patent Office as unless he had a confidentiality agreement with TSSC, then by so doing he made them public and so no patent is applicable.

John

Many thanks for your replies Barry & John,

I'll have a look at getting some Rover 200 tailgate struts from a scrapyard, otherwise, they're cheap enough from the likes of eBay. Regarding the mounting brackets, I will have to knock something up, but I have limited tools so I'll have to bodge something together!

Many thanks and kind regards,

David

Gt6s wrote:

The cheek of it!  

Re gas struts, TSSC are marketing something that many individuals on both sides of the pond have already made/bought/fitted many times previously!

Hello
Interesting thread. I am considering this too.
What length (opened) & strength is the correct ones to go for?

Seems to me that I should be able to pick up some alternatives.
Anyone got any pics of how /where they mount at each end?

Thanks
scott

JohnD wrote:

If he can back that up, then he need do no more tha write to the Patent Office as unless he had a confidentiality agreement with TSSC, then by so doing he made them public and so no patent is applicable.

John

John he just marked it down to experience.
I do think the patent was going a bit far though.

Gt6s wrote:

John he just marked it down to experience.
I do think the patent was going a bit far though.

Pretty sure I remember the events on the TSSC forum where the chap mentioned here posted pics etc of his efforts and the TSSC eventually put into production.

Shame if no credit is being given - although I doubt all that many are sold.

I don't really like the idea of them and having heard about how they can push bonnet back when in closed position - I won't be trying them any time soon.

Doug_P wrote:

I don't really like the idea of them and having heard about how they can push bonnet back when in closed position - I won't be trying them any time soon.

A Spit Gt6 bonnet can lift at 70 or over when catches are released (which they are fond of doing) due to under bonnet air pressure, my yellow Gt6 used to do this all the time.
I dont see the point in asisting this.

Alex wrote:
The point of the struts is to create equal lift when opening the bonnet,reducing the stress cracks around the headlights.

Cheers
Alex

Correct - that is the point of them.

Unfortunately, the point of them is not to put constant rearwards pressure on the bonnet whilst closed - leading to the bonnet pivot bolts moving out of adjustment and screwing panel gaps.  However feedback from owners seems to show that they do that too.

LIfting the bonnet correctly (by the wheel arch as opposed to by the latch) will keep the stress cracks to minimum too - IMO.

Archived