Bonnet catch flipping open?

John Bonnett

Although my GT6 never suffered from the bonnet catch self opening I believe it can be a problem. Now I don't know whether this is the answer but I'll put forward the suggestion.

Normally it is impossible to see the catch in the engaged position but it is visible at the moment on my bonnet frame so I can see exactly how much of the claw goes up inside the hook. I found that to get the claw into its proper position it was necessary to space out the hook by about 2mm. Without the spacer, the handle appeared to close normally but the claw only just engaged and I could see that it could easily slip out and the catch fly up. Just a thought.

thescrapman wrote:
John

Does your lower roller still rotate, or has it seized and worn down to a flat?

Cheers

The rollers rotate now but one of them was seized. It freed off easily though with a bit of WD40. I notice from the Canley site that the hooks should have a spacer behind them but they are NLA.

what you need to do is,..

where the roller sits under the claw when engaged is to grind a small indent so the roller has a more positive locking action.you may need to re adjust the body locking plate to get a satisfactory result with increased tension.

only remove a very tiny amount of material at a time and test.it works as I have done it and they no longer spring open even over rough roads :)

9110 wrote:
Fit  bonnet locks.

Not that keen on bonnet locks to be honest - or the ones I've seen and had fitted to my last bonnet. If someone really wants to get into your engine bay all they need to do apply a bit of brute force to the bonnet hinge and the locks (and the bonnet) just bend. As me how I know  :'(

If you're using the bonnet locks to stop the hinges flipping open what I also found is that the locks slowly distort over time due to the force of the hinges trying to open themselves and after a few years the bonnet locks become too worn and loose to be of any use.

Best things I've found for a quick solution to the hinges flipping open if you can't fix it any other way are diverdans55s brackets and clips mentioned by DougP.

I'll be having another good look at mine between now and the Spit foinf back on the road in Spring with John's and esxefi's suggestions in mind - IMHO reckon they're on to something.

Further to Pauls method, did ye pinch mine !!! ;)

as Paul puts a warning oot too,
I can confirm I saw a CT member had done this mod efta i telt,m aboot it,
he went just too far at first go,
Picture a bloke, sitt,n on his Arshe Ole, feet, yan either side oft catch,
pull,n an tugg,n,   pull,n all sorts os faces a Gurning champ woulld ev been proud of,
an still it would nae budge, ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

no names mentionee,d incase of litigation, :P

her is a pic of what an where.

M

796 wrote:

pull,n an tugg,n,   pull,n all sorts os faces a Gurning champ woulld ev been proud of,

M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY4tD2Hbg_A#t=68

796 wrote:

M

nah.....more like 'great minds think alike' I reckon :)

heraldcoupe wrote:
In 25 years of Herald ownership, I've never had a properly maintained bonnet catch open itself,

Cheers,
Bill.

Correct ...if all the body work is correct eg the tub/scuttle and bracket is perpendicular to the locking handle, then they should not pop open
If the bracket and scuttle `lean in` at the top,then the hook of the lock handle will not stay in place
The rubber cone has to be holder at the correct tension as well
If there is movement in a scuttle/tub/A post through rot or breakage then that also will allow the bracket to move and pop up  

The problem I have is that all the bonnet catches I have owned (quite a few over the years!) seem to not work as designed. The mechanism moves off the roller, and the rollers are seized and often grooved heavily. I have tried to free them up and tweek, but with no real success. So how is it done? is there a guide to getting the catches to work correctly?

The catches need to be in good condition along with the scuttle bracket (no notches - can be remetalled by welding/grinding, or just buy new) and the cones are also critical. The bonnet, cones and cone sockets need to be adjusted for correct seating height and forward/aft and lateral position. The big mistake is the cones not seating fully in the sockets but instead hitting the sides.

The catch works on the over centre principal and needs to be under constant tension when closed, so when closing the catch it should tighten before loosening slightly as it 'snaps' shut but the cones should still be compressed slightly.