I'd just like to say well done to those who got around in what must have been testing conditions once you got South of Lancaster Services. The weather forcast looked terrible.

Just wish that Team Shorts  :B :( could have made it to enjoy the special atmosphere in the Plough at the end of the run.

Ditto,

we were one of the last to leave The Plough at 19:50. had a misfire all the way. Trying to play catch-up with a misfire  :'(   Got to John O'Groats at 10:30 left at 10:50. got to 40 miles from Stirling when the head gasket blew. Did 900 miles....

MkII 2000 Estate left at the compound in Scotland and we were lent a Skoda Octavia Estate courtesy car got home at 07:30 on Sunday morning. 2000 due to be delivered tomorrow.

James Cooper took Mark Bland, Hilary & myself down to Pinperne so we could join the cheering crowd....   and eat some cakes!

Enjoyed "marshalling" at Badgers Holt too.  Weather was much better than forecast, which was a very good thing!

Was surprised how few "zombies" were in evidence. Most looked far better than I remember feeling at that point in 2008.  There were a few exceptions though  :P

Also had a bunch of deranged canoists throwing themselves into the raging Dart as a sideshow.  They thought we were nuts and we thought they were nuts - so that's fair and reasonable  :)

Nick

Edit:  Presumably the "Worst Environmental Hazard" award goes to the Chatterton outfit fro laying a smokescreeen across the whole of maninland Britain......

Nick_Jones wrote:

Edit:  Presumably the "Worst Environmental Hazard" award goes to the Chatterton outfit fro laying a smokescreeen across the whole of maninland Britain......

In my view the worst environmental hazards were the Stags  :'(

Cookie found this :

http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m102/tr1umphgt6/?action=view&current=LucozadeAlertPlusAMentalEnergyShotSharpenUpinaShot.mp4

Which is scarily realistic - even to the point that I'd downed two bottles of the stuff.  Just wondering if I have a case to sue the manufacturers 'cos it didn't help  :-/

Congratulations, it looks like a great adventure if a bit mental. I've been following the progress from Oz, and it's amazing to think you lot just clocked up 2000 miles in a weekend. I know a few bits - Glencoe, Callander (great macaroni cheese pies) so can picture the convoys of Triumphs pushing on, day and night. I got a bit worried to hear about the red Herald stranded with a broken diff while buzzards circled, but figured they'd only be interested in the crew. And good to hear that TS2 was on the run, maybe the most valuable TR2 of all.

Well done guys, sleep well!

Richard_B wrote:
Ditto,

MkII 2000 Estate left at the compound in Scotland and we were lent a Skoda Octavia Estate courtesy car got home at 07:30 on Sunday morning. 2000 due to be delivered tomorrow.

Snap but mk1 estate in compound in scotland and got a skoda fabia as a courtesy car also expecting my car back tomorrow.

andy

For my mate Dave and I, it was our first ever RBRR, so we had no idea of what to expect really, so we'd just like to say comiserations to all the crews that never made the finish and many congratulations to those that did.

We'd also like to add that we were totally overwhelmed by the enormity of the planning and organisation that had gone into the event, so a big well done to the organisers too.

I can now go to my bed that I've missed so much on a high that our first RBRR was a success and that we made it to the finish. In fact our only issues were:

No brake lights at Edinburgh (Wire had came off the brake light switch)
Non starting at Lancaster (Wire had came off the solenoid)
Bad misfire at Bude which was correctly identified by Team 47 as a dodgy plug lead.

Well done again to everyone involved. See you all in 2012. 8)

Alex wrote:
Andy? what happened to yours?
I heard a story...about it running on 5 cylinders but nothing else,everything ok?

alex

the screw thats in the end of the rocker shalf came out so the shalf twisted round robbing it of oil and as didn`t have a spare shalf it was bye bye rbrr, Did try to move it back round and put another screw in but it was siezed solid.
Its amazing how quickly edinburgh airport drop off zone gets very busy after 5am not the best place to be stuck

andy

willows40 wrote:

alex

the screw thats in the end of the rocker shalf came out so the shalf twisted round robbing it of oil and as didn`t have a spare shalf it was bye bye rbrr, Did try to move it back round and put another screw in but it was siezed solid.
Its amazing how quickly edinburgh airport drop off zone gets very busy after 5am not the best place to be stuck

andy

Oh Andy, so sorry to hear that mate.
That means you never got to leak test it on the A30......
Pi estate for 2012?

Alex wrote:

Oh Andy, so sorry to hear that mate.
That means you never got to leak test it on the A30......
Pi estate for 2012?

not sure if i will do another, Was really suffering with my legs by the time i got to scotland, But if something happens between now and then it will be the pi estate as have a point to prove with it.

cheers andy

Indeed well done to all - spare a thought for those valiant few who tried but failed to start through last minute hitches and calamities. Team 13 got round with clockwork reliability and amazing fuel economy (mental arithmetic placed consumption at 95mpg on one occasion). Driving with Dave and John Kipping was rewarding - lots of stories, reminiscences, part numbers and obscure facts.

There seemed to be a higher than ever number of non-finishers so in order to help with the preparations for next time I'm going to start a thread about what went wrong and what went right. All those who had issues and overcame them are also welcome to post, the main reason for doing this is to collate some group learning and try and work in some preventative measures next time.

The thread's in the Preparation section

Well done to everyone who entered, both finishers and non-finishers :) Jason, Martin Randle has already started compiling a list of reasons why cars have had to pull out of such events, he was actually updating it during the stop at Lancaster Services as word came in on who had dropped out and why....no point in re-inventing the wheel, I would suggest that you get in touch with him and pool information.

Archived