What have you done recently or are planning to do soon to your Triumph?

Tim Bancroft

Glang & Rob : thanks for the clarification.

I know it might have been a straightforward question but when I wanted to adjust the mixture on the carb the handbook didn't say whether clockwise/anticlockwise was viewed from the top or the bottom of the carb. Result was I made the mixture extra rich rather than weakening it . . .

1 hour ago, glang said:

Well they could have stuck a couple of gears in there in which case the needle would move in the opposite direction to the cable but of course that would mean the axis of the cable entry and needle wouldnt be in line😊 

Then they would have put another set in to put it back in line. . .😉

Fitted it to my drill, needle, total & trip moved. The registered speed wasn't very stable or consistant - for the moment I'll put that down to variable speed on the drill and / or workings of the speedo damp from being in store for years etc. Unit, less glass now on top of boiler to gently dry out.

Glass came out in 1 piece(phew!) with a little bit of care. Cleaned up nicely. Metal rim given a coat of paint to freshen it up.

I'll put a new O ring in the chrome part, either a new one if I can get something locally 100mm diameter seems to be the size or cut up one I have that seems to be about right in cross section but far too big.

I did mine recently and actually took the mechanisms out of the cases for cleaning, lubing and inspecting. There was a spring broken inside but cant remember now if it was speedo or tacho, anyway I repaired it and they went back together ok. I bought a seal kit off ebay as the bezel sits on foam rubber cord rather an o ring...

20 minutes ago, glang said:

I bought a seal kit off ebay as the bezel sits on foam rubber cord rather an o ring...

If it was foam rubber on the back of the one I'm going to fit is is well past its best. I could also wait and see what is fitted behind the bezel on the unit coming off.

I had a bit of a result on my Mk1 Estate today, the leading edge of both rear wings & the top of the sills on both sides were quite scabby & I was expecting the worst. I have the car booked in to have them looked at (ie filled) and the wings painted as they couldn't do a colour match. I was fed up with looking at the scabbiness and thought I have nothing to lose by trying to tidy the area up, got a wire cup brush on the drill and, there are no holes, the steel is pitted of course but for now I have primed & painted the area, will do a better job when the weather warms up. I'm now going to save the £1k I'd been quoted for this job, that will buy a good few rattle cans of Cherry Red.

• Like 1

Fuel pouring out my carb jets when cars turned off so I’ve had to order new ones. Waiting for them to arrive and then that’s my next job. Also ordered a throttle cable as mines frayed on the end. 

Strange thing is I know I have a spare cable as I ordered it when I had one break. The one that’s fitted was fitted temporarily about 5 years ago after the one on the car snapped 🤣. This one was taken off due to being frayed once already 🤷🏼‍♂️🙄

20 hours ago, glang said:

What make and model of UJs would you recommend for the Spitfire Wimpus?

Dont know the make of my old ones.

But always use the GKN regreasable (Guj115) now.

Not that you can regrease them on the car 😅

I do know LR Freelander prop ujs should work to.

Got some in my stock, but not tried it yet.

Changed the jets today and the throttle cable. 
Strangely I had to adjust all the linkages as the cable must have been slightly longer. Still not 100% happy but will readjust again once I’ve done some miles. 
Next job is get all the front end set up and adjusted. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 2

GT6  Mk1: I bought a NOS brake master cylinder, given its age I fitted a new seal kit, fitted it to the car and used a braided hose & stainless fittings to connect to the 4-way connector on the chassis. 

Mk1 2000 Estate: wrestled with a door furlex seal, O/S/R now looking neater, the new furlex is nowhere near the quality of the old one that came off, can't see it lasting long. Fitted a new door hand strap to the N/S/R, fitted a slightly less knackered strap to the O/S/R mechanism.

The speedo has packed up completely, it has been fluctuating since I bought the car, today I had a new speedo cable fitted, no improvement, the angle drive was checked, appears to be working fine. I connected the old speedo cable to the speedo and used my power drill to drive it, the speedo appears to be fine. It looks like I need to swap out the speedo drive pinion from the A-type OD, I just hope this can be done in situ.

M2 PI: Fitted a new door hand strap to O/S/R & adjusted headlights, had a couple of flashes last night.

Edited by iani
  • Like 1

On 19/01/2023 at 11:26, Dave Bunney said:

Quick update on my carpet install.

Made in sections to allow easy replacement of parts if need be. 

The slits down the back will be covered. The slits allow the carpet to contour around the cars shape without issue or gluing down. 

DSC_4034.JPG

Carpet Diem said Horace... nice blue

• Like 1