What have you done recently or are planning to do soon to your Triumph?

Tim Bancroft

2 hours ago, Tim Bancroft said:

Tom,

For now HS6s will suffice...however, you never know....Lucas PI....er, doubtful!

I'm going for Lucas PI on my Estate conversion Tim, had a couple of sets here and it seemed silly to buy something else. I'm happy with how it's behaving on my Saloon so will give it a go on the Estate, modern pump & PRV though.

• Like 1

Noticed the Spit was putting out some smoke the other day. Did a compression test all cylinders within 10% with top reading 175.

Did a leakdown test and got air coming out the rad.

Stripped it down yesterday and will try to get some work done today. I already brought payern gasket ready to fit my mk3 ground cam which was going to be my winter project,  looks like it's going in sooner. At least it went before the C2C.

Danny

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dannyb said:

Noticed the Spit was putting out some smoke the other day. Did a compression test all cylinders within 10% with top reading 175.

Did a leakdown test and got air coming out the rad.

Stripped it down yesterday and will try to get some work done today. I already brought payern gasket ready to fit my mk3 ground cam which was going to be my winter project,  looks like it's going in sooner. At least it went before the C2C.

Danny

Leakdown tests are so much more informative than compression. Glad you found it, and at least the weather is perfect for working on a car. 

Head back on the spit after grinding in the valves. New tappets and mk3 ground cam in. (Not timed yet). Went to put the rocker assembly on but noticed 2 rockers were very stiff. Took the assembly apart and found the shaft is knackered. This was a reconditioned rocker assembly about 20k miles. Now ordered a new shaft.

Danny

Also ordered 8 new rockers now as they are scored. Will have to check the top end oilways. I did notice the retaining screw was loose or maybe fallen out. I remember when I took the rocker shaft off the screw which i thought fell out or was it already out and laying on the head. Should the screw have lock thread on ? 

Danny

1 hour ago, PeteStupps said:

Where did you rescue that from Craig, the bottom of a salty pond?!

It's more of a sea anchor. It's the original engine from Callum's coupe, but the previous owner stored the engine outside for about five years under what they thought was a waterproof tarp.

• Like 1