tim and the organisers have put an awful lot of hard work into making this event as succesful as it is. the fact that it is oversubscribed echoes this sentiment!
i wonder if anyone has thought that if the organisers say the entry list is restricted to a certain number, then there is a reason for that. Also whatever happened to that old saying "the organisers decision is final, no correspondence will be entered into !!"
a discussion is good, but it isn't right to moan at the people who are giving up their time so we can all enjoy ourselves.
the rbrr is a fantastic event- what more can i say!!

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crikey! I had heard it was going to be necessary to get the form back ASAP, but that is quite astounding. This just shows how successful Tim B and co have been at running this fantastic event in recent years.

I thank my lucky stars that the magazine came a day before I went on holiday, and that I was not too busy to get the form completed and sent the day I left, and get a place.

What on earth is going to happen in two years' time - a day off and a drive with some forms me thinks!!

Didnt see many Stags on the list. Guess the petrol cost will be a tidy sum. Do many entrants get sponsorship for fuel specifically?

Here Here.

I cannot even begin to imagine the hard work that has to go on for this event to take place, and I am not sure that we should even try to get bigger than it already is.

However, my entry is in, so I'm bound to say tha aren't I???! I#m sure if I were not one of the lucky ones, that I would have something different to say.

I don't want this event to change, bigger, more cars, or even every year would just spoil it.................

Perhaps people who miss out this year should send forms in anyway, and that means they tale the first places in 2010...............so if you miss out on one year and you wanted to go and got a form in, the reserve list of say 20 cars, becomes the first 20 for the next event................and so on and so on........

Seems fair?

Guys - all the entry number malarky is water off a ducks back, I am enjoying putting something back into CT so nothing's gonna wipe the smile off my face :-) I know we will do all we can to get as many of the reserve list onto the running list, if we have to turn anyone away it will not be for want of trying to get them in.  It's always been first come first served so we have a precident.

As for the 2010 run, that's a long way off and I think we will have developed some solutions by then. I don't think we can keep expanding the run, it will lose it's soul if we do not to mention ceasing to be fun for the organisers and marshalls.

AlanChatterton wrote:
Perhaps people who miss out this year should send forms in anyway, and that means they tale the first places in 2010...............so if you miss out on one year and you wanted to go and got a form in, the reserve list of say 20 cars, becomes the first 20 for the next event................and so on and so on........

Seems fair?

Maybe I'll just send them details of the HCR, the 10CR and La Carerra runs - in fact I think La Carerra was as good as an RBRR in different ways, we coined the phrase "RBRR with beer and beds" for La Carerra.

I've looked into an Arctic Circle run but the logistics got the better of me and with work as it is, I can't guarantee I'll be in this country let alone organise a coninental  run like that - I will do it one day, just not this year :-(

heraldhabitat wrote:

This is fairly typical Southerner lack of knowledge Yam Yams are Black Country people not Brummies, kinda like everyone think anyone below Watford talks like cockneys
(well you do really) :P

I agree about the cockney thing, but Birmingham, isn't that anywhere between junction 2 and 11 on the M6? ;)

Quick point there are two Tim's involved in CT.
Tim Hunt: Vice Chairman and show events organiser (This Tim is RBRR 08 Entrant no.1. He has also done the RBRR 14 times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
and me, Tim Bancroft who is Club Sec and the main organiser of the RBRR.
Must point out that the RBRR organisation is done by a four man team:
Entries: Jason Chinn
Route: Nigel Abdullah
Printing and publishing: James Carruthers
Everything else: Me
Great guys!
BTW Alan Chatterton was very gracious in stating that he would love tonhelp, thought about using him as Charity Liaision, but in the end not practical. Thanks for the offer though Alan. By the way Alan was superb in lobbying for the RNLI to be the 08 Charity, really good measured argument- Thanks Alan again for making this popular choice.

Nick: Thanks for the offer, should be ok, but most appreciated.

Just read my thread from earlier- blimey, get editing-what a garbled load of rubbish- rushing to get down the pub to meet old friends for a quick pint. Sorry.

Just checked and am in at 36!!!

To both Tim's I have spoken to No 1 boss and, as well as agreeing some sponsorship, I will definately be able to arrange either "mates rates" or (depending on how much work I can bring in between now and the run) may be some freebies for any print requirements you have. Just give me a shout when you have time or ideas and will help out where I can

As someone who has only been peripherally involved with one RBRR (marshalling at Conon Bridge last year) I obviously have minimal experience of the event, but a couple of thoughts have congealed while watching how things have worked out over the last few days.

The "atmosphere" and camaraderie at Conon Bridge was amazing -- it was obvious even to a newbie and someone who hardly new anybody! For that reason alone it strikes me personally that event is probably about as big as it can be while sustaining that sort of feeling.

But if the event is going to be as oversubscribed as it turned out to be this year then maybe the entry procedure needs to be rethought? Everybody needs to get a fair crack of the whip without being hostage to the vagaries of the postal system. I'm NOT including myself in this by the way, even though my entry is almost certainly a complete non-starter this time. It was stuffed for other reasons entirely which were at least partly my own fault.

And I don't want this taken as criticism of the organisers because it blindingly obvious that the response for the 2008 RNRR has taken everyone by surprise!

Maybe set a closing date for entries then everyone's name goes in the hat and the places and reserve list are drawn?

Cheers,

It's the first time we've ever had so many entries arrive in such a shprt period of time, I think it's probably only the second time we've run a reserve list! It could be the first time we've ever turned anyone away, I hope it doesn't come to that but I can't see how we can get around it!
There was a time when the RBRR was down to a handful of die hards.
It's a real problem, a good problem but a problem nevertheless.
A lottery sounds good but then how does that work with say pitching the guy who's done 17 and works tirelesly for the Club versus the guy who joined yesterday and will do one run and lapse his membership? Or the guy who raises £5000 for charity versus the guy who raises nothing? Or the guy with the never before seen on the run ex-works interesting car versus the tatty Toledo? Or the guy we all think is a knob versus the bloke who organises the run?
Sorry, I'm going on a bit but you see the problem. There's almost a need to keep it fairly random in order to maintain the arbitarily unfair postal lottery, at least the rules are clearly random! We've already got one active Club Officer's entry lost in the post and who is now on the reserve list.

Actually, in 2010 pulling 10 entries from the list a and put them on ebay for raising charities could be OK, and absolutely minimal extra work.

Or - use the market at raise entry fee from 60 to 100. (wouldnt probably scare to many off, just enough to host the 100)

Regards
Nick

I agree with the idea of drawing lots - it's fairer to those whose magazine arrives later, or who's entry form takes longer to arrive in the post.

2 years ago I sent my entry form off immediately, secured no.6, then had to drop out because the car wasn't ready. This time I didn't want to jinx myself, left it too late, and find myself in 9th reserve.

If I don't make it, I'll be happy to marshall (did I say happy? I meant gutted!)

if you put the price up to much it will mean only the people with money will be able to do it. people who run their cars on a budget have to think about what they spend. to be honest with entry fee,petrol and sorting the car out the cost is high.for me i have wanted to do it for a while but not been able afford it. i`m in at 82 so just got in but to do it i have had to give other things up.
the entry list was the same for everybody can`t see why people are moaning,and well done for the people who give up there time to organise it.
cheers andy  

Hi Andy

I had the exact same thought when I wrote it. I am inclined to say you are right - the price is good as it is (though us foreigners will face a bill of something like 1400 pounds in total for the experience - but it will be worth every penny!)

Still, if you reserve 10 entries and auction them off, wouldn't that be a fair way?

But - no matter how the organisers arrange - it will be a good way andl have my full support (unless the close entry for non-UK members)

Cheers
Nick

OK I'm in at 29 so can be smug, but can't help feeling a bit sorry for members
who do not visit this forum. It became obvious on here that a bun fight was brewing
but the scale still surprised everyone. I know of at least two regular crews who are now
regretting a slightly laid back approach to what is usually a slightly more laid back event.

Today's mail brings yet more entries! The Reserve List is now up to 24 cars.

The most up to date list will always be on the RBRR mini-site in my sig.

I intend writing to all the Reserve List on the weekend, I am away tomorrow for the rest of the week on business.

99176 wrote:
OK I'm in at 29 so can be smug, but can't help feeling a bit sorry for members
who do not visit this forum. It became obvious on here that a bun fight was brewing
but the scale still surprised everyone. I know of at least two regular crews who are now
regretting a slightly laid back approach to what is usually a slightly more laid back event.

wasnt karl planning on doing it?

On another note, when is it that we should expect our entry packs to arrive?

This may be abvious to seasoned old timers, but this is still all rather confusing for a newbie like me.

Also, could someone possibly explain the whole charity thing in a bit more detail. Such as, is there a limit to what we should try and raise (lower, not upper!), and will there be details about it all in the entry pack.

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Archived