I've been following a thread on the SOC Owners forum about the benefits of using Valvoline VR1 20/50 in the Stag engine.

As I am going to change the oil in the Spitfire before the RBRR, I just wondered if anyone has had experience of this oil in the 4cyl engines. I normally use either Halfords Classic or Total 20/50 whichever I have to hand at the time. I did find during the climb up the Spanish mountains on the 10CR last year that the oil pressure dropped about 20psi below normal when the engine was very hot and under stress. Whilst I realise the Scottish mountains will not be quite as hot, I just wondered whether there is any benefit in using VR1

Thoughts?

Millers semi synthetic sport classic is what i use - has been proved on many a gruelling CT run is a variety of my cars in a variety of different conditions. I have heard that the VR1 is good too, but have no experience.

Use of a decent oil that will maintain pressure with prolonged use is a must in my opionin

I used VR1 to begin with expensive and as I change my oil every 3000 miles I find I have gone to Halfords Classic oil, cheaper and in MHO just as good.

Fresh oil before you start should keep oil pressure up and engine in good shape. You drive the RBRR as you like, If you want to take it easy and make good progress do so, if you want to spank the car for 2 days then do that also, I know which one you and your car would prefer.

Have used Valvoline VR1 in my P.I and TVR. As Tim says holds a better pressure when hot and under load such as trackday or RBRR. Price not too bad either but I do get it through the trade. Don't use it in my old Range Rover though as don't really need to rev it hard being an auto - Unipart  finest 20/50 does the job in there at £10 for 5 litres!

Halfuds Classic oil , is just ..Comma,s.. 20 / 50 oil in a different tin, you can get it for half the price at Motor factors, source, !! Comma them slves,

try the Lucas 20/50,or 20/ 70 ol, i been using it for ages now, and its firly reasonable, as you can get it in 2 gall cans,

• 2 weeks later...

I treated the car to a pack of Penrite Classic 20/50. Seemed to be good, had no problems whatsoever and only required topping up with about 2.5 litres over the whole run (and a good litre of that was due to inadvertently leaving the oil cap off between JOG and Conon Bridge). Expensive though to buy retail (£23.00) but I thought, as it was a special occasion....

Normally use Comma Classic or Halfords Classic (which I've been told is the same stuff though I'm not sure).

I used the VR1 on the run, oil pressure was very good throughout despite the knocking from the main bearings/bottom end that occurs when the engine is under load. I ended up topping up twice, once at JOG, and once at Scorrier, each time adding a half litre, but then the engine does deposit a fair bit on the chassis!

It's pure supposition that the VR1 contributed to the success of our trip, all I can say it gave me a bit more confidence that I was giving the engine the best chance of survival by using it.

It still looks very clean so will leave it in the car at least until the sump is dropped to inspect the bearings.

The oil never stayed in our engine long enough to get hot or breakdown.............. in the end we were running it on used engine oil of unknown quality!!

However, after the rebuild with new rings and bearings, it will get the VR1 treatment.

I think I'll stick to this for the Stag engine too......... unless anyone has a better suggestion? New stag uprated engine, will be running oil cooler, thermostat, larger rad, kenlows and leccy ignition.

Over the run, I used 2/3l of oil. This excludes replacing the 4l of oil lost on the A9 when the pressure guage pipe snapped!
Until I lost the guage, 65psi at 2000rpm on idle - like the book says.

I use Castrol Classic 20w50 (23 quid for 4.55l) and think it is great. Far better than the motoway stuff that the motor factors used to sell me for a quid a litre.

When new, the Castrol is yellow and smells like the Silverstone pit lane at the 1958 British Grand Prix.
The motorway stuff is brown and smells of used engine oil. I suspect it is recycled.

Oil pressure had definitely improved with the Castrol and the engine seems a bit smoother also.

trigger wrote:
Just picking up on this thread

who is now going to change the oil again as it's been well used for 2000 miles

or is this over kill and it be ok for a few more thousand

New 20W/50 in for the event on Thurday and 4.5 litres added so thats two oil changes in 72 hours - enough for the moment I'd have thought

• 1 year later...

Just ordered a couple of 5 Litre cans of VR1 from Eurocarparts in readiness for the RBRR - using the discount code 'oilspill30' brings the cost of  5 litres down to a very reasonable �20.99 with free delivery

No doubt someone will now tell me of a cheaper supplier!!!