Who's got what to do for 2012?

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a day and a half of doing odds and sods to the saloon.

Fitted new seal where throttle pedal rod passes through the bulkhead, a job that I thought would be  pig, in fact turned out to be easy!
Tidied up some wiring
Changed the oil (VR1) including fitting a nice Cooper Fram deep filter.
Balanced the carbs.
Oh and changed NS track rod end as the rubber had perished on the one I fitted last year!!!!

To Do:
Need to road test the car and find rear end clonk, think it will be the rear prop uj.
Wash and polish the car: Bit depressed as she is starting to rust-NSF wheelarch is starting to look dodgy.
Clean out the interior.
Sort the tools and spares

Love the old car, found it almost easy doing the RBRR 4 years ago in the car.

Changed the oil today for valvoline then my mate arrived to help out.....I then started it up and it popped the seal in the oil pump.Oil everywhere except in the engine.
Tried again....same thing happened.
Fitted old filter and it was fine.....dodgy filter I thought so I moved on.
Adjusted and checked front bearings and started investigating the noise on the rear end.
Tried some shocks on loan and drove up the road.....pop oil everywhere again.
So we pushed it home as it was only a little way up the road,after a bit of downhill I thought I should jump out and help push.....and caught my ankle under the wheel.
Agony and a wrenched knee too....

Finally solved the oil problem when my mate found the adaptor coming out of the block.
I didnt know it could happen and I certainly wouldnt let it happen again!

As for the shocks....no change so back on with my spax and new bushes....no change.
The only thing it can be is a bit of movement in the spring as we checked everything else!!

Ah if you mean what I think you mean That pipe is part of the jet! has it pulled out of the union on the float bowl? there should be a little rubber grommet/o ring on the end of the pipe that makes the seal and stops the fuel leaking out -can be a pain in the arse as they harden and dissitergrate this is what you need
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-AUD2194

Been in two minds about the autobox "leave it or change it" and ive decided to leave it, since the trouble on the way to the drivers meet ive had no repeat. The box i got from mike will be going in the boot as a spare just incase (big thanks mike w, alan c and colin r)
This weekend ive fitted a new oilseal in the rear of my box as it was leaking slightly after changing the prop and sorted 99%of my spares out that now reside in the boot, managed to fit stickers on 1 side of the car then it rained.
things left to do:-
swap front seats for some with headrests
fit other side stickers
swap battery
buy some auto fluid
and buy some snacks for the crew.

see you all at the plough and good luck to each and every crew member for a safe and enjoyable RBRR 2012 :)

Steve

1874 wrote:
Been in two minds about the autobox "leave it or change it" and ive decided to leave it, since the trouble on the way to the drivers meet ive had no repeat. The box i got from mike will be going in the boot as a spare just incase

You're taking a spare gearbox? Or have I misunderstood?  :-/

I might have an issue with the estate. The front diff is leaking oil (quite a lot) when hot from the  drive shaft flanges. It doesn't happen when you potter round town, but only after or during a good motorway run. Either the oil seals are u/s or the diff breather is blocked and its pressurising, or both!.

I cannot risk leaving it like that for the RBRR with the speeds and distances involved, the cost of a new front diff it it runs dry will be huge,

The diff is going to have to come out, which is a major operation, front suspension, cross member steering rack and drive shaft hubs off.

Watch this space, but if I cannot fix it I cannot do the run.

mikew wrote:
I might have an issue with the estate. The front diff is leaking oil (quite a lot) when hot from the  drive shaft flanges. It doesn't happen when you potter round town, but only after or during a good motorway run. Either the oil seals are u/s or the diff breather is blocked and its pressurising, or both!.

I cannot risk leaving it like that for the RBRR with the speeds and distances involved, the cost of a new front diff it it runs dry will be huge,

The diff is going to have to come out, which is a major operation, front suspension, cross member steering rack and drive shaft hubs off.

Good luck mate, you've come so far you really deserve to complete the run, I shall pray to the gods of EP90 for you (that reminds me, must top up my gearbox!)

OR, a total bodge but how about connecting up a pipe to allow remote filling? 5 litre can gaffer taped in the engine bay dripping oil into the diff as go?

I'll get my coat...

mikew wrote:

If anyone can fix it Mike, you can. I have every faith in you.................!

mikew wrote:

Sounds like breather or over-fill issue to me Mike.  Otherwise it would leak when cold as well......

Good luck with your investigations.....

Nick

Nick_Jones wrote:

Sounds like breather or over-fill issue to me Mike.  Otherwise it would leak when cold as well......

Good luck with your investigations.....

Nick

Seconded, there was a service note about this back in the day. I'd say do a drain and re-fill making sure that it's possibly even a little bit short. then try another long run. Hope you get it sorted anyway  ;)

I thought something looked odd as I was packing spares 5 mins ago-anyone want to swap a 2000 water pump for a 1500 water pump at the plough?- my spare for the 2000 is new I thought I had a new spare for the spit...hmmm no I used it in the run up to 10CR amazing what you remember whilst ratching in the shed-the 2000 one looks the same apart from bigger pulley I glanced at it the other day an assumed it was for the spit ...doh!

New prop fitted Sunday, but couldn't test it until this morning as i was waiting for the new windscreen to be fitted.

Noise on the overun now all gone, and new prop seems to be nicely in balance.

But....... New windscreen leaks like a sieve at 60. I was getting wet everytime I washed the windows. Grrrrrrrrrr...

Urgent phone call to be made when I get to work.

Annoyed

Colin