Who's got what to do for 2012?

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alex wrote:
I've got a gauge but no way of connecting it....
If I whizz it over with the rocker gear off theres nothing from the hole at all :(

Oil light goes off though....

Alex plan of attack

Check oil pressure relief valve
Get one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OIL-GUAGE-PIPE-5-AUSTIN-ROVER-MINI-UNIVERSAL-/271050542766?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f1bdf0eae#ht_500wt_969
lash up a pressure gauge so you can see whats going on
Drop the oil carry out oil change
If got good oil pressure which you must have otherwise the engine would have expired?- external feed pipe like Nick suggests

Nick_Jones wrote:

That's not good........  do you have an oil pressure gauge?  If so, what does it show?  What happens if you spin the engine on the starter with the rocker gear off and plugs out?  Should get oil coming out of the feed hole at the back of the head...... will take quite a bit of cranking though......  External rocker feed pipe could be the weapon of absolutely last resort (!!) - but only if oil pressure is ok.

Nick

With all rocker gear off theres oil at the head.
The rockers are all clear as James came round tonight and we built up another shaft after thorough cleaning.We can pump oil through it and have even seen oil coming through the oil holes with it fitted.
The problem is it doesnt always seem to do it.
With the bolt at the back of the head removed we have seen oil come out but again not consistent.
James did manage to remove some crud from the rocker feed hole and this is when things improved.
How much oil should we see at the head?

If this is just a build up of carbon how else might we clear it?

Help :'(

You should get the odd bubble eventually when oil starts to come out (doesn't do it the instant the engine starts) then is should gently come out. You shouldn't seem more than the edge of each rocker having a ridge of oil on their edges. Start up, watch the oil hole in each rocker and if nothing happens after a few minutes it's not right.

The offer of throwing one of my shafts your way is still there. Absolutely no idea how to get it to you though as I never know where I'm going to be working until the same day. I'm over in Ipswich today for example, not exactly on your doorstep!

3020 wrote:
Ta for that Colin ...just sizing up the options

Doug here is my plate

All dimensions are approx as this is shedtune and is a bugger to measure in the car!

overall plate size 45mm x 120 mm

Measuring from TOP of plate throttle cable hole approx 18mm from top- this is a Renault traffic van cable

Measuring from TOP of plate two small (approx M6 holes) 43 mm from top and 78mm from top these are central

I recommend drilling one hole bolting it on marking the others then drilling them

Hope this helps

After the problem with the autobox on the way to the drivers meet, then since disconnecting the kickdown cable it being ok im still in two minds as to change the gearbox or not before the RBRR.
It would help if i could have a chat with someone that knows about these autobox's, so if anyone could PM me a phone  number i would be very grateful.

New front wheel bearings fitted last night, 50mile test drive confirmed that silence is golden!
Just some greasing, level checking and perhaps a valve clearance check to do now, may even wash and polish the old girl!

Colin.

Just a quick note though, good luck to everyone who is currently not looking at the silly list of bits that I have left to do, Doug Foreman, Steve Burrows, Alex, Mr.Pearson etc.

Nick_Moore wrote:

Tim, what have you done man? I reckon my GT is readier than that!

tunnel out to fix speedo and top up gearbox. Dash out to fit a light in the heater controls 8) 8) Carpets out to fit my "secret audio" stereo that fits in the boot and has a remote wired into the dash(very cool) Also tided up a load of wiring from the EFI install just because I could.  Tunnel and dash are now back in and I shall have the carpets and seats in tomorrow.  looks much worse that it is

not to everyone's taste -including mine! but fitted modern areo wipers to the spit today after the success of them on the TAXI RBR 10 -they work sooo much better than the standard "classic" blades -Alex you will vouch for that after driving the Taxi in the rain alot! :) in 2010

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Aero-Flat-Beam-Upgrade-Windscreen-Wiper-Blades-11-11-/270878200262?forcev4exp=true&forceRpt=true#ht_1428wt_952