Who's got what to do for 2012?

My tank has now been out and back in, all pipework blown through and a second fuel filter fitted.

Vinyl back seat fitted ready as the blankets that cover the (shagged) back seat are very scratchy when you try to sleep on them.

Still to sort..

Oil change.
Top up fluids
correct headlight aim (not sure why it is suddenly out)
fit new front seats if I get time.
Check propshaft for source of noise and vibration (has been there quite a few years now)
Build spare driveshaft as new rear bearings have not yet been proven.
Change coil

I think.....

:-)

Colin

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Car 44.

First choice car: (Team Gertie)
Rebuilt engine now on 530 miles so oil & filter change due shortly.
Rear brake drums and shoes needed, front pads will be changed soon too.
Rear driveshafts to be greased
New wipers needed
Uprated rear springs to be fitted so that exhaust and undercarriage remain on car during the run.  :)

2nd choice car: (Team CAC!)
Gearbox being changed again on Saturday
Diff change following weekend
Probably renew front wheel bearings as well as I've never done them in the four years I've owned the car.

3rd choice car: (The Mk1 that Davemate has just bought)
How long have you got?  ;D

391 wrote:
Car 44.

First choice car: (Team Gertie)
Rebuilt engine now on 530 miles so oil & filter change due shortly.
Rear brake drums and shoes needed, front pads will be changed soon too.
Rear driveshafts to be greased
New wipers needed
Uprated rear springs to be fitted so that exhaust and undercarriage remain on car during the run.  :)

2nd choice car: (Team CAC!)
Gearbox being changed again on Saturday
Diff change following weekend
Probably renew front wheel bearings as well as I've never done them in the four years I've owned the car.

3rd choice car: (The Mk1 that Davemate has just bought)
How long have you got?  ;D

Cars 1 and two
     We could get most,if not of that done this weekend.
THEN LEAVE THE BLOODY THINGS ALONE !!!!!

Car 3
   Just needs a battery  ;D

Had a productive night.....
Fitted my new disributor and coil and the car fired first click of the key......should I look at end float?
Changed fuel pump due to a seep on the old one leaving an oily trail on the starter.
Pads arrived today so I need to do the wheel bearings and change pads,oil trunnions etc then I can test the dizzy 8)
Fixed a fault on my wiper linkage this week too.
My map light arrived today :'( I asked for a 12" switched light and got told that all theres have switches but an 18" has arrived.Having now checked the website they dont appear to do the 12"......18" is just to big for a spitfire so now need to call them and see what they say :(

Alex wrote:
Had a productive night.....
Fitted my new disributor and coil and the car fired first click of the key......should I look at end float?
Changed fuel pump due to a seep on the old one leaving an oily trail on the starter.
Pads arrived today so I need to do the wheel bearings and change pads,oil trunnions etc then I can test the dizzy 8)
Fixed a fault on my wiper linkage this week too.
My map light arrived today :'( I asked for a 12" switched light and got told that all theres have switches but an 18" has arrived.Having now checked the website they dont appear to do the 12"......18" is just to big for a spitfire so now need to call them and see what they say :(

Alex

For the last RBRR I bought a couple of stick on battery operated circular LED lights from B&Q and stuck one on the top of my Spitfires windscreen, and one inside the bootlid.  The windscreen one was ideal as a maplight and didn't interfere with the drivers vision. The bootlid one was also handy at night. Just take some spare AAA's for them although I didn't need to replace them during the run

I've just had a weeks holiday in Centerparcs with the grandchildren, now looking forward to the RBRR for a rest!! ;D ;D ;D

Alex wrote:

They've sent you an 18inch diameter map Light   ??) ??) ??)

It must be like a big bucket!

Do you wrap the map round the inside and put it over your head??

Would certainly reduce the leakage to teh drivers side.

Cheers

Colin

Presume he's talking about a goose-neck one Colin.....  ;).  You've left me with a highly amusing mental image though.  Something like the "cone of shame" as fitted to dogs with bandages, but lined with a map  ;D

Alex, I bought a 4 pack of white 12v LEDs with wires from Halfords (or possibly Maplins) and wired a pair of them via a switch on the dash.  They are just bodged on a "temporary" (since RBRR 2008  :B) bracket made of twisted copper wire and attached to the top LH corner of the screen frame.  Work a treat though we keep a weapons grade head-torch for moments of confusion.

Nick

I'm not even bothering to clean and polish. By the time we've gotto the start it will be filthy anyway.

I've spotted a frayed accelerator cable so I'll change that and pack the old one as a spare. I also need to get an electronic ignition get you home kit. i.e. points and condenser in case the module packs up.

royboy66 wrote:
Team 22  Quack Quack ! RBRR prep started...........  M.O.T'd it !  ;D

Need to do sound check...see if the speakers will take Bruce's Thumping Country&Western CD's   ??)

Important joob done today..............Tunes player fitted!    8)

My Co-driver is a music Oracle !  .........wonder if he's expecting to fit his Guitar in the GT6? :o :)

Roy 8)

FloydP wrote:
New diff is in, gearbox oil changed, test drive ok, no enthusiam to put the gearbox tunnel back in tonight especially as its on it's last legs, can't see that it'll seal very well. I'll have to see if I can patch it up in the morning.
Looking good for next weekend.

Feel your pain Floyd !

taking out/refitting the tunnel is my least favourite job on my GT6!

Hope you get sorted, see you next week !  8)

Roy

royboy66 wrote:

Feel your pain Floyd !

taking out/refitting the tunnel is my least favourite job on my GT6!

Hope you get sorted, see you next week !  8)

Roy

It'll take more than no gearbox tunnel to stop me getting to Gaydon, although its a long drive without one, I reckon I could knock somthing up out of a bit of cardboard if I have to, I think Vinnie made one out of a stainless steel bin! Problably end up bodging mine with gaffa tape, but I know I'm only putting of the inevitable purchase of an abs plastic jobbie.

Cheers,

Floyd.

Mk. 4 spitfire PI - the Iron Maiden entry no 45...
. dave langrick, Nottingham- rear suspension strip down and rebuild nearly complete. new trunnion kits and bolts. new Heavy duty greasable UJ's fitted today, . Just need to check rear axle oil level, fit newly painted rocker cover, Hardtop with new seals , t cut and wax whats left of the paintwork!    :)

MOE's preparation is coming on, new water pump, fan and powersteering belts clutch, gearbox, overdrive, prop overhauled, two new driveshafts,  unleaded cylinderhead and oil + filter, fitted while I was on holidays. Had the radiator/heater flushed out, and did an STP coolant flush this afternoon, replaced a leaking fuel pipe, tomorrow will see new new antifreeze, brake check.
There is funny noise coming from the rear I think, which had just started before the work was done can't see anything obvious might change the rear shocks and finally need the carbs rebalanced.