Who's got what to do for 2012?

Arnie the Acclaim sailed through its MOT this morning.

Couple of minor advisories, headlight pattern a bit iffy but I have a new one to put in, headlight bulb on the other side popped during the test............. but he passed it anyway as he saw it working!, and one tyre getting close but I knew this and had got a new set to put on anyway.

So, headlight, two new brighter bulbs, tyres and an oil change and we're done!

Even the emissions were super low.

My MOT man was amazed at the condition, thought it was a super little car!

Just taxed it on online, sorted!

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Car 17
After months off the road my Spitfire is up and running. Although she did break down on the way to and back from the Essex area meet last Wednesday. Faulty new condensor seemed to be the problem.

Jobs i need to do before the RBRR start are:
Change distributor
Change starter solenoid
Change overdrive switch (hopefully that will get the overdrive working again!)
change speakers
Fit aerial
Get tune done after fitting distributor
Clean car and put some miles on her.

Hopefully I will have this done before the drivers meet, as I don't want to repeat last year when I was working on her at the Plough one hour after everybody had left!

Nick_Jones wrote:
Doesn't seem to be nearly enough panic in this thread......  maybe it's still too early?  :P

Nick

Well heres a bit of panic for you, 1500tc auto off road 15 years, wants n/s chassis leg , n/s outer sill and reinforcer and lower sill
no brakes all pipes want replacing, no exhaust rear pipe , all tyres past it, all water hoses want replacing, next to no paint on it
it was DA'd off 15 years ago then left outside, beige cloth seats fallen apart.
and all ive got done up to now is cut the rot off the sill ready for the new sill that i have, i have had it running though, sounds sweet at 45000 miles from new.
I will be cracking on with it now im inside the last month. :o
if not ready i will have to use the 2000 ;)

Mine seems to be doing well, although last night Sara hit the dashboard and the fuel gauge light went out! Topped up the diff yesterday, Friday a Triumph mate and I are sorting the exhaust so it's fitted higher and quieter! Then it's hardtop on, new wipers, relays, halogens (should be with me next week), possibly spot lamps, a fiddle with the wiring for the radio, change of coolant, a good tune, and a play with the windows so they don't flap out! Then weld in a new battery tray and I think it's ready to go!  ::)

1874 wrote:

Well heres a bit of panic for you, 1500tc auto off road 15 years, wants n/s chassis leg , n/s outer sill and reinforcer and lower sill
no brakes all pipes want replacing, no exhaust rear pipe , all tyres past it, all water hoses want replacing, next to no paint on it
it was DA'd off 15 years ago then left outside, beige cloth seats fallen apart.
and all ive got done up to now is cut the rot off the sill ready for the new sill that i have, i have had it running though, sounds sweet at 45000 miles from new.
I will be cracking on with it now im inside the last month. :o
if not ready i will have to use the 2000 ;)

Sounds like the 2000 then - unless you have the month off work!  :P

Nick

So I'm driving the TR6 home from work on Friday and as I stop at some lights I can hear a deep knocking from the engine. Obviously my ears are playing tricks with RBRR a month away.

I get home and Im sure there is a knocking. Oil pressure is good, the knocking is only there at low revs. Where is it coming from, the more I look, the more it sounds like its coming from the crankshaft. Surely it can't be big ends, what about little ends, maybe piston slap.

I was reluctant to take the sump off as I didn't have a replacement gasket.

I check crankshaft end float, all is in spec.

I think, could it be the pulley loose but no, it's tight.

By Sunday, I'm making plans to pull the engine out and drop in another. By this time, I've scratched a bald patch on my head and I check everything else without taking the sump off. I can't believe it could be big ends.

I know I checked the pulley but that's the only thing I could think it would be.

So, off with the pulley, as I'm taking it off, I find that the woodruff key is too small and there is movement in the pulley. Fit new woodruff key, tighten it all up and no more knocking.

Still got to change the front wheel bearings, rear shoes and adjusters and a halfshaft (noisy bearing) Got NOS Timken bearings and seals, NOS rear shoes and a spare shaft with a new UJ fitted the other night ready to pop in.
Bearings and shoes will fix the problems, the halfshaft....not sure until it's fitted and I test drive it. If all else fails I will rob the pi of a shaft on Thursday 4th Oct, they are both fine.

Also need to fit freshly prepped trailing arms with superflex bushes, NOS Metalastik subframe bushes and some CW 205/400 front springs to the pi for the trackday on 21st September!

Colin

Team 110 - First timers
I have been working on my TR since January, on and off. Purchased MX5 seats, bought brackets and trial fitted to the car. New brake and clutch master and slave cylinders and Goodridge hoses. New brake pads, hand brake cables, dynamo, front shockers, Voltage Regulator and voltmeter to supplement the ammeter. To do: new engine mounts, larger fusebox to replace the original two fuse box, fit relays and an additional fuse box to lights and overdrive, insurance for co-driver, wire up map light and cigar lighter and service the car. New water hoses already fitted after flushing the system.

Car 17
Had a really productive weekend.
Inbetween taking kids to football, the Olympics and visiting the beer festival organised by our village cricket club :-) I managed to:
Fix my Overdrive which was down to a faulty switch
Fit new rear speakers so will have some tunes.
Sort out my headlamp relays
Fit a new 123 distributor and cleaned the spark plugs whilst I was at it.

Car is running sweet now.

Jobs left to do are:
 Get tune done after fitting distributor
Fix roof studs as a couple have come off
Sort Interior lights
Fit aerial 
Change Oil
Top up Diff Oil
Clean car and put some miles on her.

Front wheel bearings to do, front wishbone trunnion holes to weld up,front pads to buy and change.
Map light/interior light to buy and fit, screen header chrome trim to seal.
Distributor to buy and fit.
Few other little bits .....
Not quite sure when I'm going to do it all though......

MOT passed this morning, bit of a problem as there was no dipped beam but a wiggle of the loom and we were all good, bit of a kick up the bum to sort out relaying them, then I'll need to swap the diff, replace the perished fuel hoses and change the gearbox oil hopefully once thats all done were good to go.
Still thinking of getting an MOT on the stag as a plan B but as I've yet to change the engine there'd be a few doubts about its reliability so let's hope I don't have to resort to using it.
Not long now!!!!!

CRAJ wrote:
Still got to change the front wheel bearings, rear shoes and adjusters and a halfshaft (noisy bearing) Got NOS Timken bearings and seals, NOS rear shoes and a spare shaft with a new UJ fitted the other night ready to pop in.
Bearings and shoes will fix the problems, the halfshaft....not sure until it's fitted and I test drive it. If all else fails I will rob the pi of a shaft on Thursday 4th Oct, they are both fine.

Also need to fit freshly prepped trailing arms with superflex bushes, NOS Metalastik subframe bushes and some CW 205/400 front springs to the pi for the trackday on 21st September!

Colin

Rear shoes and halfshaft changed, need to back the handbrake off a bit more as the drums were warm after just a run to the bottom of the road and back. Still need to drive further to assess the halfshaft and it's effectiveness (fingers crossed)
New front springs on the pi, also noticed that the pads were a little low, so an NOS set of Ferodos went in too. Transformation to the lean on the pi seems miraculous, no ARB on this car and I'm sure progressive rate springs were originally developed to mimmick the results of fitting an ARB whilst maintaining the full independance of the suspension. But I could be wrong!

Colin.

Dave is indeed starting early, we haven't even had the driver's meeting yet! It's really good to see the ex-Tiny Lewis car out and about, it's been in storage for as long as I can remember and I've always thought it would make a great RBRR car ina hair shirt kind of way :-)

Dave doesn't need luck, he just needs a plasma cutter and a welder - oh and a never ending supply of coffee!

Er, same as late July!!!

'The trip to CLM proved that the old Saloon needs some attention:

UJs to Prop.
Finally get the throttle linkeage sorted-this has been a pita since purchase in '94.
Tune the car
Sort out some of the rust that is starting to show its ugly head. Usual places: NSR wheel arch and NSF wheel arch.
Dashboard wiring bodge

Otherwise just make the car look smart.'

Just cannot see me doing this.