Who's got what to do for 2012?

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

new GAZ rear shocks fitted today.  Checked the rear brake pads and they are getting low so the run should see them off, then i can dump the green stuff and replace with mintex 1144's

removed the ball joint from the adjustable top wishbone I installed in March this year.  Looks like premature failure of this unit so Dave from Canleys should be bringing me a replacement tomorrow 8) 8) Hoping this will sort out the brake judder!!

Stag is ready, all fluids checked/replaced, wheels balanced, spares loaded, proving run to Gaydon tommorrow.

One final decision to make closer to the Start - Hardtop or Soft top? The last RBRR was very wet in places and I well remember rain getting in through the hood, mind you, that was the Spitfire!  I think a close watch on the weather forecast is needed especially as the top down motoring from John O Groats last time was great fun :)

1874 wrote:
After failing to get to the drivers meet, it now looks like i might need a new auto gearbox :(

I've got a decent saloon BW35 box that you can have if you want to collect it (Birmingham or Coventry), its ex Andy Roberts and was good when he pulled it and still full of ATF

I decided to take the Sprint to the driver's meeting which turned out to be a good move. Windscreen needs resealing, viscous coupling died on the way home (managed to limp back), and the axle that I was going to live with is now just too loud a certain speeds so looks like I'm going to change it. Oh well ...

On the plus side the car is running better than ever  8)

Sat here feeling decidedly peed off!

Heard a bit of a rattle on the way up today so pulled over and thought maybe I was imagining it.....sounded like loud tappets.
I'd readjusted the tappets this morning so it seemed odd but starnger things have happened.
I removed the rocker cover and the revs went up.....tried all sorts and made no difference.
Eventually put cover back on...and revs went up again.
Decided to press on and got onto the m40 then the car died and I had to coast to the hard shoulder.
Whipped a plug out and found that it had a spark so pulled fuel pipe off and no fuel.
I'd just replaced the pump due to an oil leak from the body on the old one but removed the pump and found the arm had sheared off inside the block.
The only spare part I had with me was the old pump.....I fitted it and we were off(Mark Bland was following in his S)
Arrived a bit late at the meeting but travel home ok although I still thought I could here something.
When pulling in for fuel my car sounded terrible.....I'm hoping its something like an inlet manifold leak but as it stands I dont know whats going to happen next  :'(

I feel sorry for some of these tales of woe but there is still plenty of time to sort even major engine/gearbox problems.

My worry is that my TR6 ran like a dream and I'm getting paranoid about what to fix which isn't broken.

I managed over 30 mpg on a 300 mile trip and to those of you who saw the Magenta TR6 passing them, that was me, unless you are a policeman in which case it wasn't. :)

AlanChatterton wrote:
Don't trust the gauge....... put a mutli meter across the battery with everything turned on.

better to measure the current being generated  ie the power  then cal how much you are using if running extras beef up your alternator better to it  have working 7/10ths than 10/10ths for 48 hrs!

Car 17
Spitfire ran without fault to Gaydon and back again.
We did have pullover once, but that wasn't because of the car. The passenger was hungover and needed to be sick!

However got a bit wet inside the car. I did work on the header rail yesterday and although it is much better than before it still leaks.

So final jobs are:
Reseat header liner
Fix some cup holders
Change oil
Clean and fix stickers

Can't wait for the start. Although gutted to hear Pimperne stop has been dropped so no cakes!  :-(

follwing engine failure ..plan is now to fit A PI engine we've aquired.....few bits i need...one being exhaust manifold and down pipe...had an offer of one from Colin Radford..he's in doncaster and i'm down south ...anyone from the CT pony express anywhere near there?