Who's got what to do for 2012?

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Car 69 ran well to Gaydon and back until just leaving the M26 when the engine started misfiring. Have traced the fault to a slight leak on one of the hoseclips on the Header tank bottom feed (Mercedes tank) which was playing on a couple of the spark plugs. Probably caused by me 'stretching' the engine on the M26 after being held up on the M25.

3020 wrote:
Ta for that Colin ...just sizing up the options

I think I've got a manifold and downpipe you can borrow Doug. I'll have a look tonight.

And I'm a bit nearer than Scrapman.  :)

What carbs you going to be running? If your car is still on the original linkage, but you're going to switch to SU's, you'll need another throttle pedal, throttle plate and cable.

Had a good run down from Telford (Royvoyette with Simons shiny TR6)
Great to see some familiar faces!

Return journey in the rain along 3xMways! Yawn,  thank the Lord for RainX !!

Car ran fine, bit of a puddle in boot floor, need to trace where it's getting in, or just make a 'drain hole' to let it out!  ;D

Bit of water shouldn't bother Team 22 though ! Quack Quack !

8) 8)

thescrapman wrote:

I know where there is a BW35 about to come out of a car in North London. I have driven teh car and it was fine (If BW35's are your thing.. :-) ) having been rebuilt a few years ago.

Cheers

Colin

thanks for the offer colin but i dont know what the problem is with the gearbox, after losing drive on the motorway afew times on the way to the drivers meet ive disconnected the kick down cable and driven over 100 miles with out the loss of drive so im going to leave it as is for now and put some more miles on before the RBRR and see how it goes, i do possibly  have a back up gearbox coming to me in case it goes again before the RBRR.
thanks again
             steve

3020 wrote:
Ta for that Boo...old engine out....took the sump off the Pi engine and it's had a regrind .10 thou.......county bearings but hey ho. [will look in my parts bin for vp] ..so that looking good ..will do more tomorrow...

Doug

Might be worth investing in a set of the HD tr-metal ones as you have it all apart in front of you.

I am fairly sure you won't be driving it carefully... ;-)

Was it the crank hitting a GT6 sump???

Cheers

Colin

76Spit wrote:
Car 69 ran well to Gaydon and back until just leaving the M26 when the engine started misfiring. Have traced the fault to a slight leak on one of the hoseclips on the Header tank bottom feed (Mercedes tank) which was playing on a couple of the spark plugs. Probably caused by me 'stretching' the engine on the M26 after being held up on the M25.

Spent today completely repositioning the Header tank with new hoses and clips courtesy of Car Builder Solutions resulting in less joins.  Also discovered an O'ring on the plastic tee piece in the Top Hose was weeping slightly so have renewed that and am carrying a spare!

Been out for a run in the rain and shine this afternoon and all seems OK (touch wood!)

1 mile from home after the driver's meet, my main beam conked out    :(.  

Would anyone have a spare indicator/light stalk for a late MKII saloon by any chance please (the one with the flimsy plug and the blue wire that connects directly to the master light switch by-passing the plug?).

Note to self - must go and check all the other things on Dave Langrick;s list of must dos (even though this seems to be a mechanical failure not directly related to current drawn by the headlamps).

thescrapman wrote:

Doug

Might be worth investing in a set of the HD tr-metal ones as you have it all apart in front of you.

I am fairly sure you won't be driving it carefully... ;-)

Was it the crank hitting a GT6 sump???

Cheers

Colin

yep it was a gt6 sump....has also been bored out +20 with new pistons ,...not sure my budget/time schedule will stretch to a new set of shells so they'll have to do
spent the afternoon stripping it down and swopping bits over

The old fan is off. Turns out one of the bolts had fallen out too. I'd forgotten that I had to use a 3 bolt Dolly 1850 fan when I built the car so I'm on the look out for a decent Sprint 4-bolt fan to mount the new VC to. I've only got one in stock and there's a bit of play in the bearing. It's not serious but I'd rather fit a better one if I can find one in time.

The replacement axle is stripped and ready to accept all the bits 'n' bobs from the one on the car. I was hoping to get away with just swapping the brakes over but this axle had 3/8ths wheel studs and the hub flanges looked a bit butchered (sealed with black mastic ?!?!) so I'm swapping the half-shaft/hub assemblies over too because they have the larger 7/16ths studs. Should have the axle stripped off the car tonight.

I'm going to fit my spare electric fuel pump and keep a mechanical pump as a spare (unless I suddenly feel flush enough to buy another spare electric pump).

Banzai !

Alex wrote:
Think unless something happens like a miracle my cars out....
Proper fed up as spent a small fortune so far but time restraints mean I cant see how I can get it fixed in time.
Theres no oil at the top of the engine what so ever! :'(

That's not good........  do you have an oil pressure gauge?  If so, what does it show?  What happens if you spin the engine on the starter with the rocker gear off and plugs out?  Should get oil coming out of the feed hole at the back of the head...... will take quite a bit of cranking though......  External rocker feed pipe could be the weapon of absolutely last resort (!!) - but only if oil pressure is ok.

Nick

Alex wrote:
Think unless something happens like a miracle my cars out....
Proper fed up as spent a small fortune so far but time restraints mean I cant see how I can get it fixed in time.
Theres no oil at the top of the engine what so ever! :'(

That's not good........  do you have an oil pressure gauge?  If so, what does it show?  What happens if you spin the engine on the starter with the rocker gear off and plugs out?  Should get oil coming out of the feed hole at the back of the head...... will take quite a bit of cranking though......  External rocker feed pipe could be the weapon of absolutely last resort (!!) - but only if oil pressure is ok.

Nick