Who's got what to do for 2012?

Right now i'm a little bit behind schedule...

Gearbox currently 10 metres from car and having a nightmare rebuilding it. (recon box having different input shaft, ordering parts, don't seem to fit.)

Driveshaft UJ's, new soft top, heater needs attention (it was cold last time round). Tuning oh and Tunes!

I'm thinking a few last minute days off work will be in order.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found tonight that my rockers and shaft are ruined.....
All the rockers faces bar 1 are stepped and the shaft has picked up some crap at some point and badly scored it.
The inner faces of the rockers are all scored too.....oh and not sure theres as much oil coming through as there should be......

That's not good news.  Is the the cause of your mystery rattling noises do you think?

You may find that the lack of oil is because the the oil-way up the middle of the shaft is full of gunge.  I could also be that the general wear allows all the metered oil to escape at the back few rockers leaving the front ones dry.

Difficult to judge without seeing the extent of the wear/damage but quite often the rockers are recoverable (to a degree at least) by careful dressing of the tips to remove the steps and fitting them to a new (preferably tuftrided) shaft.  Depends how deep the indents in the tips are and how scored the bores.  I've got a fair collection of used ones here as I've always fancied getting a set bored for bronze bushes but never found anyone to do it at reasonable cost.

You can get new (repro) ones. I've got a set of those too, so far untried as I've not heard anything very positive about them.

Nick

You can try clearing the passages with drill bits but with the head still on you can only get to two of the three passages.

1/8" into the pedestal
3/16" horizontal behind the bolt and copper washer
1/4" is the vertical hole from the block through the head gasket.

You'll be suprised how much carbon gets cooked in there  ??)

ps. if you're going to Gaydon can I have me spanner back  ;)

Nick_Jones wrote:
That's not good news.  Is the the cause of your mystery rattling noises do you think?

Mark came over and had a listen tonight.....he's of the opinion that it may(I'm not holding him to this)be simply a vibration that becomes apparent at 3000rpm but its very difficult to be certain due to the noise o the tappets.
I have to be honest I just thought they were badly adjusted although a bit worn.On inspection they looked terrible,the shaft has scores in it deeper than my hacksaw.....
The tips maybe could be rectified but I jsut had another look and they actually look a bit slanted too is that the norm ?
Obviously I could be reading more into this than is actually there.

Could badly worn shaft/rockers etc cause a chatter type rattle as well as tappet rattle?

Alex - I've got a small crank 13/60 engine (did my first RBRR) and a large crank Spitfire one (did my first 10CR) kicking around with rocker shafts. If I get time I can take them off and see which is the best and bring it along on Sunday for you to borrow. I can't remember how good they are but if they let more oil through... Let me know and I should be able to get it off on Saturday. ;)

Argh!
Fitted another set of rockers today and no change however theres oil getting to the top of the rockers now so thats better.
Tappets are a bit quieter and I think I can adjust them some more which will help.
Having removed the rockers also enabled me to retorque the head.
As for my chatter/rattle.....still there however I'm now wondering if its resonance in the exhaust...
I went from wheel barrows to a single pipe,the noise wasnt there before although that was 5 yrs ago so who knows, is this a possibilty?

I've just been in the garage trying to locate another knocking type noise at the rear.It only happens when you bounce the rear but on the move its pretty annoying.
No joy with it though.I also found when bent down bouncing the car something is sqeaking.
Again no idea what......

Drives nicely its just these little irritations now to try and solve :'(

Ok looks like I've found the cause of my knocking noise.
I removed the shocks and it disappeared.....may be a struggle to do the rbrr without shocks but cant afford new ones and the noise is really annoying.
Cant see what else it can be....

Oh and Ferny thanks for the offer mate,I should have said yesterday but read your offer on my phone and forgot when sat at my computer.I picked a shaft from James Cooper yesterday as I was in his area.
Thanks again!

Now working on the interior comforts - wiring in the multiplug charger adapter for the phones, Sat Nav, and electric cool box when I noticed the interior lights were not working, easily solved, I had left the interior lights switched on when I last used the car on Monday evening resulting in a Flat Battery!! Doh!! :(

Car 85 - Help needed.

My friend who is doing the first RBRR for the first time is having a few issues with his Vitesse Convertible.

1st Issue. Gearbox has packed up.  However, he hasn't given up. Car is in the garage to have the gearbox reconditioned/replaced.

2nd Issue. Seats are a little bit knackered and being original don't recline.

I know this is a VERY long shot, but has anyone (who lives near the Kent or Essex area) got a spare reclining seat (we only need one for the passenger side) that will fit a Vitesse Convertible that he could borrow for the RBBR?

Got new spare tyre fitted,had the fronts balanced to try to cure the steering wheel shake at 70mph.
Fitted new freelander U/J to the driveshaft,greased the hubs,topped up the diff.

Just got to top up the gearbox and wire in a 12v socket and that`s all i am going to do.

See how it goes on Sunday.
Steve

PaulB wrote:
Car 85 - Help needed.

2nd Issue. Seats are a little bit knackered and being original don't recline.

I know this is a VERY long shot, but has anyone (who lives near the Kent or Essex area) got a spare reclining seat (we only need one for the passenger side) that will fit a Vitesse Convertible that he could borrow for the RBBR?

i'm i sussex ...near lewes...have got a choice of original gt6 seat [foam a bit tired] or an mx5 seat you could borrow