Progress on entrants cars 2007

Raider

well, bar some mild fettling and packing everything in to the cars both Vicky the Vitesse and FiFi The 2000 estate (Bloody saloon needles in an ex-Pi engine! I ask you!) are ready to go.

Now just got to decide how much stuff I can pack into the back of the estate and still have my little bed set up back there  ;D

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GT6 Still with Jigsaw... how many weeks is that? ... so it's just as well the Spitfire passed its MOT today - beginning to look more like the Spitty - its such a pity because the whole reason the GT6 went for a new engine with Jigsaw was to do 10CR.

I can't even swop the seats, wheels etc as me and spitty are in Cumbria and GT6 in Northants.

May not need that 5.5J wheel after all - I'll keep you posted.

Things looking mostly.. sort of.. ok here. Head Gasket replaced on Saturday, and rest of the manifolds, pump, pipes etc bolted back on Sunday. We live and learn, I made plenty of mistakes but enjoyed it loads. Next time it might only take me one day!

I havent actually started the car since HG done as some bits still aren't back on it (i decided to replace the water pipe under manifolds for a shiny SS one - BIG mistake, took me ages to get it to line up with the manifold water pipe - I bet its gonna leak like a... leaky thing)

Don't have time or money now to replace the propshaft, so if you hear a rumbling behind you its probably us! :)

Still need to wash the car, sticker it up BEFORE the event this time! Top up gearbox oil (anyone want to lend me their portable 6ft car ramps?), re-secure one or the front exhaust clamps after undoing it to get manifold on properly. Cant think of anything else big that needs doing... yet.

davesideways wrote:
You only need about 1.5psi for SU's, 3psi is excessive...

Thanks dave, I'l adjust and see what affect it has. I was told 3-7 psi was normal for a std fuel pump, thats all.

Just taken the propshaft out to have it re-balanced- it was horrendous before I swapped to a 3.89 diff this weekend, so after changing the yoke to the larger size I thought I'd see if it made the vibrations any better. It did, but I reckon it could be bettter, so out it came! At £20 it seems daft not to. After that ive got to sort the oil leak, fuel leak and then the headlights. Then its just a matter of tarting it up!

Ben

Neil,

Let Ellis know asap about the change to the Spit if you have too.

What are Jigsaw doing to the car.

I cannot remember if I said i'd bring my GT6 spare with me, enlighten me.

Good luck.

Roy and Hutch,

Well done!

Anyone knwo if Craig Bennett is still doing the event?

Please everyone, please let Ellis know about any entry changes: co-drivers and cars.

Many thanks,

Tim

Hmm, minor setback today - checked out driveshafts, one needs a uj (no prob), the other has a lumpy hub bearing.  Dug out my spare pair and guess what, they both have lumpy bearings - bugger!

Anyone got a spare Stag/Mk2 saloon driveshaft (with good bearing)?

Jony5 wrote:
that 3-7 sounds more like PI! ;) which is ment to run at 7 on the vacume guage.....

Damn, you've discovered my attempts to fuel inject the herald on SU's ;-)

I got the fuel pump from a motor factors not so long ago (made in italy, if that rings any bells?)  I've heard there's a posibilty it could be a 1500 one though, in which case it'd need a spacer block. I may just buy a new one as an alternative/spare to take on the 10cr. I've had one go on the way to work before- the pivot pin just fell out!

Ben

Tim
Ellis will know as soon as I know - I'll have to call it - but I'd like to wait until Monday next week if possible.
Yes you were going to lend me a 5.5J spare wheel & tyre - but if GT6 is still with Jigsaw I'll run on the Spit on either (In)effecta Sava 165's on alloys or my winter rally 155 Goodyears on 4.5J Steel - either of which I think I have spares for here.
... just hope Mac, my co driver, can find a flying jacket for night time top down high speed cruising. No spots, no cabin light or accurate odometre should make for interesting night time navigating.... some of you might find me "taking a tow" as it were.

Blimey's right 7 days to go two knackered rotoflex  couplings, two hubs in bits  four hours to drill out bottom vertical link bolt on plus side halogens fitted comfy seats in green stuff pads on order busy weekend ahead

All go ain't it...  I got home from Leicester about half an hour ago to find the Bus on my driveway (thanks Dale) - haven't had a chance to take her out yet, but I'm hoping she'll be driving a bit quicker than on La Carrera.

Good luck to everyone still at it. Come on you can do it !!!

If anyone does have any vehicle changes, can you get them over to me asap (as Tim has already requested). Thanks.

glaramaraman wrote:
Tim
Ellis will know as soon as I know - I'll have to call it - but I'd like to wait until Monday next week if possible.
Yes you were going to lend me a 5.5J spare wheel & tyre - but if GT6 is still with Jigsaw I'll run on the Spit on either (In)effecta Sava 165's on alloys or my winter rally 155 Goodyears on 4.5J Steel - either of which I think I have spares for here.
... just hope Mac, my co driver, can find a flying jacket for night time top down high speed cruising. No spots, no cabin light or accurate odometre should make for interesting night time navigating.... some of you might find me "taking a tow" as it were.

mate if you want anything fetching out the GT6 im not tooooooo far away and will be at the start, obvously nothing too drastic as we'll have a full herald ;)

Team Sauna eh!

A Red Hot GT6 MKII had me glowing all evening yesterday.
Picked up the car from Jigsaw at Desborough and drove up towards Nottingham - spent hours avoid the jams and road closures around Doncaster & Newark - but finally broke free to the A1. back to the lakes via Harrogate & Skipton.

260 miles on the new engine all at < 4000rpm but that still allowed short spells of good cruisin. Cars great - just need to practice clutch control in first with the new cam.

??? should I run the sauna or fly with the Spitfire?.... It doesn't say much when I asked Mark Field which I should do and he said the Spit!!

The whole point of the new engine in the GT6 was to do 10CR.

Anyone fancy helping with an Oil Change at Italian stop. Any one carring a light weight trolly jack?

Oh decisions decisions? - I'll do a 500 mile oil cjhange on Monday and decide.

Thoughts anyone

TEAM SAUNA needs more!  ;D
Take the gt6! it will be all 'run in' by the time we get back!! ;)

Ive got a spare oil filter(spin on type) I can throw in the back! sure some one will have a Jack that can do the job!!

You know you wanna!! :)

Roy.( Team sauna will MOSTLY be wearing Shorts!!)

glaramaraman wrote:
Team Sauna eh!

??? should I run the sauna or fly with the Spitfire?.... It doesn't say much when I asked Mark Field which I should do and he said the Spit!!

The whole point of the new engine in the GT6 was to do 10CR.

Thoughts anyone

We have done the last two events on brand new engines. RBRR Stag had only done 3 miles back and forth to the MOT prior to the event, so 'run in' on RBRR. We limited ourselves to 6,500 rpm after the initial 100 odd miles just to be careful. Vitesse on last 10CR was similar story, it was 'run in' on the way to the Plough.

canleyclassics wrote:

We have done the last two events on brand new engines. RBRR Stag had only done 3 miles back and forth to the MOT prior to the event, so 'run in' on RBRR. We limited ourselves to 6,500 rpm after the initial 100 odd miles just to be careful. Vitesse on last 10CR was similar story, it was 'run in' on the way to the Plough.

Make that the last three events - La Carerra was done on an engine that had only done 150 miles when I picked you up!

It's the bloody suspension I have issues with now - may see you Monday for a rear trunnion kit mate, my nearside if FUBAR :-(

Archived